Gibson Brands Forums
Mr. Gibson

Covid19 How many in your state or country?

12 hours ago, SteveFord said:

All I can say is that I am so glad that I'm married, own  a house and can telework.  I really feel the people in the cities, the service industry workers and the blue collar workers.  I can't imagine being a truck driver or a postal worker or a restaurant owner.  What do you do?

You can forget concerts this year, motorcycle rallies are out, the annual Central PA Beer Bash and Group Grope has been  put on hold,  it's just crazy.

You can see here how it's kind of oozed it's way across NY and NJ and then goes dead where it's just farmers and cornfields:

https://www.wgal.com/article/pennsylvania-counties-reopening-coronavirus/32343176#

The red areas are also where the college kids returned from Spring Break in Florida.

I'm sorry to hear about how bad it was in Pennsylvania, Steve. Yours is a lovely state, which I always look forward to visiting.

Speaking of the "it ends at farmlands" thing, it seems Lancaster County took a real beating. What happened, I wonder? Just the proximity to Philadelphia? Tourists early in the season, before things could be locked down?

Hope things continue to get better for Pennsylvania.

Edited by Lord Summerisle

A friend of mine in Lancaster says that out of staters brought it in which could be part of it.  It's kind of a tourist trap for people to see the Amish (they're actually seeing the Mennonites but close enough).  They come in from NY and NJ and away it goes.  

My dopey little town had no cases last time I checked, today we have 7.  My better half says expect 25 by next week, I think we're about to get hammered here.

They made this a political thing instead of a public  health issue so we're pretty much screwed.

32 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

A friend of mine in Lancaster says that out of staters brought it in which could be part of it.  It's kind of a tourist trap for people to see the Amish (they're actually seeing the Mennonites but close enough).  They come in from NY and NJ and away it goes.  

My dopey little town had no cases last time I checked, today we have 7.  My better half says expect 25 by next week, I think we're about to get hammered here.

They made this a political thing instead of a public  health issue so we're pretty much screwed.

The guy who did some work on one of my guitars got it. He said it's not always a death sentence, but if you get it, for a couple of weeks it ain't fun.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Yes, my supplier got it and said anything more than walking now  leaves him winded.

I  wonder about the damage it does if it doesn't kill you off.  

People in their 30s and 40s are showing up with COVID-19 and the symptom is blood clots, one had to have his leg amputated.  This is a weird thing that's floating around.

13 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Yes, my supplier got it and said anything more than walking now  leaves him winded.

I  wonder about the damage it does if it doesn't kill you off.  

People in their 30s and 40s are showing up with COVID-19 and the symptom is blood clots, one had to have his leg amputated.  This is a weird thing that's floating around.

Fukin tainted Vampire Bat McNuggets.

• Like 2

Hey it ain't fair to bring Mc Donald's in to this! 😁

4 hours ago, SteveFord said:

It's kind of a tourist trap for people to see the Amish (they're actually seeing the Mennonites but close enough). 

I've often wondered about that. I live in a part of Virginia where there is a large Mennonite population. As a lapsed Anglo-Catholic turned Atheist, I know next to nothing about Anabaptism, but many of the Mennonites of Virginia seem to drive, use cellphones, take credit cards when you buy stuff at the farmers' market, use tractors and agricultural machinery, and go to Walmart - a lot. The horse and buggy seems to be more a mode of transport for Church on Sundays, and a link to the past. When I've visited Lancaster, PA, the people there seem much "stricter." I understand that how people interact with the modern world isn't a pure ecumenical test, but I've always thought the Lancaster "Amish" are the real deal Amish, and the Mennonites in Virginia are slightly different.

Anyway, I never go to Lancaster to stare at the Amish/Mennonites. I like the steam train at Strasburg, and the railroad museum. I also like to go to the Ephrata Cloister sometimes  - "This was a community of people who never had sex." "What happened?" "They died out."

Edited by Lord Summerisle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Not good.

Eight sailors from USS Theodore Roosevelt who previously had coronavirus test positive again

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/16/politics/uss-theodore-roosevelt-sailors-coronavirus/index.html

Damn. I guess you can get it twice.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

As I understand it, the Mennonites are an offshoot, they've embraced the modern world and are the ones running the "Amish" markets and restaurants.  That could be Amish running the markets, though.

I had a female Mennonite boss and took this one really wild Mennonite girl for a long motorcycle ride; like everyone else, there's a wide variety of behaviors in people.  

The Amish are the horse and buggy brigade but even they use telephones as long as they are a certain distance from the house and they hire people to drive them around.  

I'm  told that the reason the Amish stuck to their lifestyle had to do with rejecting anything that would cause them to be dependent on the British hundreds of years ago.  Something to do with paying taxes on something or other and they said screw it and the rest is history.

I'm not from this area but I've been told that the Amish are good to deal with, the Mennonites not so much.

With those sailors, either it never fully left and they were getting false negatives or it circled back.  If it circled back not good is quite the understatement.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

As I understand it, the Mennonites are an offshoot, they've embraced the modern world and are the ones running the "Amish" markets and restaurants.  That could be Amish running the markets, though.

I had a female Mennonite boss and took this one really wild Mennonite girl for a long motorcycle ride; like everyone else, there's a wide variety of behaviors in people.  

The Amish are the horse and buggy brigade but even they use telephones as long as they are a certain distance from the house and they hire people to drive them around.  

I'm  told that the reason the Amish stuck to their lifestyle had to do with rejecting anything that would cause them to be dependent on the British hundreds of years ago.  Something to do with paying taxes on something or other and they said screw it and the rest is history.

I'm not from this area but I've been told that the Amish are good to deal with, the Mennonites not so much.

With those sailors, either it never fully left and they were getting false negatives or it circled back.  If it circled back not good is quite the understatement.  

Somewhere about 20 minutes away from Greenville, North Carolina I went to a Mennonite or an Amish place that serves breakfast. Those guys can cook a breakfast. They have this stuff that's not syrup it's like a thick goopy stuff you put on your pancakes. I would love to rub that all over Jennifer Aniston.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Someone is stopping you?  

I'm sure you could buy some as part of a take out order.

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Damn. I guess you can get it twice.

The same thing happened in S. Korea.  They were testing positive from virus fragments.  False positive tests.  It depends what type of test you are using.  The most accurate is a PCR test.  If they are on a ship it's probably a antigen test which tests for viral "pieces".  That's most likely what happened. 

Don't forget that all these tests have their limitations and all of them have been thrown together very quickly without as much validation as you would normally have.   Lots of false positives and false negatives.   Also, in many viral infections viral shedding can occur fairly long after the infection/illness is gone.

So far there have been no confirmed cases of people getting it twice and there is a lot of evidence that having the infection confers immunity.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Somewhere about 20 minutes away from Greenville, North Carolina I went to a Mennonite or an Amish place that serves breakfast. Those guys can cook a breakfast. They have this stuff that's not syrup it's like a thick goopy stuff you put on your pancakes. I would love to rub that all over Jennifer Aniston.

I think youd have a better chance rubbing it on your self

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jvi said:

I think youd have a better chance rubbing it on your self

I know but can't a man dream a little. I know don't you acoustic guys dream of the day you walk into a pawn shop and there's a mint 1943 J-45 for $100.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I know but can't a man dream a little. I know don't you acoustic guys dream of the day you walk into a pawn shop and there's a mint 1943 J-45 for $100.

Liklihood of either  is about the same.   Though Jennifer might be a possibility when she's 80 years old.  Just tell her it will remove the wrinkles in her wrinkles. 

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Liklihood of either  is about the same.   Though Jennifer might be a possibility when she's 80 years old.  Just tell her it will remove the wrinkles in her wrinkles. 

She is just a year older or younger than me I believe, so I'll be wrinkley too. I'll take her 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

32 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Baby, you're wrinklicous, let's both take our teeth out this time.

If she took her teeth out - I would recline.

She could even go ahead and eat the label.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

This is no big deal.   Bad data I'm sure. 

Madison Square Garden/Capacity

Reported deaths due to COVID-19 (NYC)