Gibson Brands Forums

Covid19 How many in your state or country?

Mr. Gibson

My state being easy to isolate with a very small population was a few weeks behind in getting infected. So we were biting our nails as the eastern states were getting infected. With thousands of travelers coming through or ports daily, it was just a matter of time. People here were demanding for the Governor to shutdown travel, now locally they have been on "stay at home" too long and are demanding the beaches be opened. Most of our island economy is based on travel services so our businesses are pretty much dead right now.

Edited by mihcmac

3 hours ago, Pinch said:

Actually, fresh air and sunshine kills lots of viruses, but unfortunately not this one. 

Black Dog, I'm assuming the jury is still out, but does it look like summer will help us any? 

Probably, but not known for sure yet. 

It's going through the Caribbean islands so I'd say don't count sunlight and humidity killing it off a whole heck of a lot.

It's kind of like that great Mel Brooks song, Hope For The Best, Expect The Worst.

We had 7 new deaths in our little county overnight, one of them was my wife's boss' grandmother.  It's weird as the old lady was a virtual shut in so she must have touched something contaminated and it bumped her off.

9 hours ago, gdecant1 said:

Was there a conclusion in the study as to how many may have  died from the virus but didn't know it?  Wouldn't that number need to  be included to determine a probable death rate?

I haven't seen the study, only read articles about it.  I do not believe there was any attempt to look at the accuracy of the deaths attributed to CV, just how widespread the virus might be among those who didn't know they had it.    But as far as counting 'CV Deaths'  there are some states, notably New York, that started including deaths they believed were CV, although not tested, because the patients exhibited symptoms consistent with CV.  And, as you noted above, it is sometimes difficult to determine which of a multitude of complications and co-morbidities, was the actual, official, clinically correct  "Cause of Death".   Not that long ago - they'd just put down either pneumonia or heart failure. 

Edited by fortyearspickn

It's tragic. When you look at the deaths per 1m population

World 22.8

USA 137

NY alone is 1,004

Of course I don't know the social demographics of those who are deceased or which specific area or region in which the deaths occurred. so that may have a factor on the numbers - not that it matters to them or their familes.

So very sad.  I don't give a rats about politicians or their ideology. I'm only interted in what action the authorities are doing to protect the health of their citizens.  Difficult though as they need to balance that against the economic issues.  I'd hate to be the one having to make the decisions.

21 hours ago, Pinch said:

Actually, fresh air and sunshine kills lots of viruses, but unfortunately not this one. 

Black Dog, I'm assuming the jury is still out, but does it look like summer will help us any? 

fresh air and sunshine WILL NOT KILL A VIRUS IN A HUMAN BODY

22 minutes ago, jvi said:

fresh air and sunshine WILL NOT KILL A VIRUS IN A HUMAN BODY

I would guess that is  a proven scientific fact.  And, sunshine does not seem to kill CoronaVirus, nor does naturally occurring levels of UV light.    The recommendation for 'fresh air'  is to encourage people to be outside, where the airborne particles are dispersed by the wind - as opposed to cooped up in your home.   And to hopefully get a little exercise - which also is proven to be beneficial.  Studies have shown the majority of  people get viruses indoors - not outside. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I would guess that is  a proven scientific fact.  And, sunshine does not seem to kill CoronaVirus, nor does naturally occurring levels of UV light.    The recommendation for 'fresh air'  is to encourage people to be outside, where the airborne particles are dispersed by the wind - as opposed to cooped up in your home.   And to hopefully get a little exercise - which also is proven to be beneficial.  Studies have shown the majority of  people get viruses indoors - not outside. 

I was going to say that was probably what you were getting at 🙂

As far as I know, summer temperatures are not really high enough to actually kill the virus.  But UV light definitely will kill it.  Also, even though the temperature itself doesn't likely kill it, the overall summer conditions (temp and humidity) make it more difficult to transmit.  Further, summer conditions and school closure mean people are outside more and less crowding indoors which also leads to less transmission.

The thing is though, it's still there.   That's why these closures are so difficult to deal with .  it's easy to put them in place but hard to get out of.  Once they start to lift them cases will likely creep up a bit.  more people will die.  Then what?  Stay closed forever?

We know for a fact that about 40,000 people will die from automobile accidents every year in the US.  But we still let people drive their cars every day.   Why?  Because we have to in order to have a functioning country.

Alcohol kills about 80,000.  Smoking kills almost 500,000.  You can still drive your car to the store and get both, and a cheeseburger to boot.  But you can't get a garden hose or a gallon of paint.

Australia (pop 25 million) in 24 hrs to 3pm Wed:

new cases - 4

deaths - 3 elderly folks

Still have forty something citizens in ICU so hope the best for them.

Lockdown restrictions tentatively starting to lift for schools, elective surgery, beach swimming etc since they appear to have pretty much ceased transmissions across the country. Will be monitored and tightened if needs be. Football competitions looking to start in a month or so without crowds. Fingers crossed.

13 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

Australia (pop 25 million) in 24 hrs to 3pm Wed:

new cases - 4

deaths - 3 elderly folks

Still have forty something citizens in ICU so hope the best for them.

Lockdown restrictions tentatively starting to lift for schools, elective surgery, beach swimming etc since they appear to have pretty much ceased transmissions across the country. Will be monitored and tightened if needs be. Football competitions looking to start in a month or so without crowds. Fingers crossed.

You guys are just heading into your cold/Flu season though.  It'll be interesting to see what happens.

4 hours ago, Black Dog said:

We know for a fact that about 40,000 people will die from automobile accidents every year in the US.  But we still let people drive their cars every day.   Why?  Because we have to in order to have a functioning country.

Alcohol kills about 80,000.  Smoking kills almost 500,000.  You can still drive your car to the store and get both, and a cheeseburger to boot.  But you can't get a garden hose or a gallon of paint.

BD those stats are horrible, but for 'like for like' since this ramped up you guys are losing 15000 people a week over the past 2 weeks...that's around 400,000 per year if nothing changes, and none of those people died because they chose to smoke, drink or drive home drunk...and that's under a lockdown.

yes the lockdown is shocking for the economy (for all of us) but businesses are shutting down anyway when people who work there test positive - how many will go to work when their workmates are infected and some are dying or seeing friends and family they are in contact with catching it from them? What will nobody going to work do for the economy? I am assuming the point of lockdown is to reduce infection rates to a manageable level then manage a gradual unlocking, versus getting the same economic outcome whilst overrunning the health system and morgues in the meantime. There is no good outcome, but there are different scales of bad outcomes would be the thinking.

13 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

You guys are just heading into your cold/Flu season though.  It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Yep that's a major concern. Great efforts already underway to get us flu shots. I've certainly had mine as soon as I could. Will be problematic as people with the slightest cold will not be going to work, but it is what it is. We'll do our best.

5 hours ago, Black Dog said:

As far as I know, summer temperatures are not really high enough to actually kill the virus.  But UV light definitely will kill it.  Also, even though the temperature itself doesn't likely kill it, the overall summer conditions (temp and humidity) make it more difficult to transmit.  Further, summer conditions and school closure mean people are outside more and less crowding indoors which also leads to less transmission.

The thing is though, it's still there.   That's why these closures are so difficult to deal with .  it's easy to put them in place but hard to get out of.  Once they start to lift them cases will likely creep up a bit.  more people will die.  Then what?  Stay closed forever?

You are in the field of medicine.  I am saddened by your prolific use of entirely false equivalence.

rct

3 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

Yep that's a major concern. Great efforts already underway to get us flu shots. I've certainly had mine as soon as I could. Will be problematic as people with the slightest cold will not be going to work, but it is what it is. We'll do our best.

My point is that the conditions that make it favorable for Influenza will also make it favorable for Covid-19.  Getting the Flu shot is a great idea but it won't protect you from Covid.  If people ar e sick with a respiratory infection they should all stay home!!

5 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

My point is that the conditions that make it favorable for Influenza will also make it favorable for Covid-19.  Getting the Flu shot is a great idea but it won't protect you from Covid.  If people ar e sick with a respiratory infection they should all stay home!!

Correct, but the point is that the more people who don't catch regular flu, the more they will be able to continue going to work as they wont be coughing and sneezing from regular flu and being told to stay home in case it's coved.