Gibson Brands Forums

Buying safely during corona season

Gibson Artist

Ok, i've been away for a long time so please forgive me if i have not read any recent updates. My mother lives close by and visits often, so i am desperately trying not to get this virus as she is in her late 70s and the last thing i want is to get her sick with something her immune system may not handle well due to age.  There are a couple made in China guitars i am currently interested in and i was wondering does anyone know how long the virus can survive on cardboard, and in guitar wood, strings and paper? 

Can't believe i even i am even asking this but i have thought about purchasing the git and putting it in a closet for two weeks?   Would that be an adequate amount of time to kill the virus?  Has Gibson or any other major guitar manufacturer discussed this scenario? 

Edited by Gibson Artist

Here it is.

"The scientists found that severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) was detectable in aerosols for up to three hours, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel. "

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/new-coronavirus-stable-hours-surfaces

Edited by Black Dog
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 10:10 AM, Gibson Artist said:

Thank you so much!  it would seem the 2 week thing is overkill, but i dont want to contract anything that would hurt my mother. Truth be told, it should all be dead by the time it arrives by those charts.

2 weeks seem like enough time, better let that sit a bit than to get you or your mother in risk

if you buy anything show us later on!

• Like 1