Gibson Brands Forums

Locked up with all the rest of you.......

Buc McMaster

My goodness Buc, just like so many of the other truly finer things in life, you only continue to get better with age. Your rendition of this tune has such a wonderful organic quality to it. As far as the "guitar angle" is concerned, I really love the powdery quality that the sound of the chords take on when forcefully strummed. Good stuff!

When it comes to being locked up and passing time, such experiences are always better when they include your music videos. As always, thanks for sharing!

All the best,
Guth

Buc,  I  enjoy every one of your performance posts immensely.  Your H'Bird sounds fantastic.  But like Chet said when someone paid him that compliment -  "It's sitting over there, I don't hear a thing!"   Your singing and playing are two legs of the stool - your song choice is impeccable. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Guth said:

.....I really love the powdery quality that the sound of the chords take on when forcefully strummed.

Thanks, G!  I think I understand what you mean by "powdery" here, and I believe it is produced by a particular angle of attack with the pick that has become habit. Sometimes I like it but I do strive to overcome it as habit as it doesn't always work well.

2 hours ago, kelly campbell said:

Hello Buc, Good to see you on here, been a while..Love the song as usual and I still love the guitar and PG...Thanks  how is Galveston?? You like it?

Galveston?  Oh yeah - love living on the island!

gqpAvEz.jpg  OmANFL6.jpg 

Thanks for listening, folks!  Please stay safe out there..........we're all riders on the storm these days.

Edited by Buc McMaster

17 hours ago, Buc McMaster said:

Thanks, G!  I think I understand what you mean by "powdery" here, and I believe it is produced by a particular angle of attack with the pick that has become habit. Sometimes I like it but I do strive to overcome it as habit as it doesn't always work well.

Actually Buc, when I speak of powdery as it relates to guitar tone, and to sharply strummed chords in particular, I wasn't referring to the angle of attack (the tonal impact of which I can hear separately on it's own). Instead "powdery" is a quality that I happen to love and one that I usually associate with some mahogany guitars. It's hard to describe, as you might expect, but a powdery sounding chord just sort of dissipates as if the sound coming from the guitar is made up of light fluffy snow (powder) or even dust. In other words, the sound of a chord starts out almost dense sounding but finishes incredibly dry & light. Powdery = good stuff.

By the way, what exactly is that guitar you are playing I know that I've been out of the guitar loop for quite a while but that guitar is not like any I've seen before. A custom Gibson obviously. A variation on the Hummingbird? Texas pickguard = something from Fuller's maybe?

5 hours ago, Guth said:

.....what exactly is that guitar you are playing.......

The label says it's a limited edition Big Sky Hummingbird.  Among the four Hummingbirds the store had in stock this one sounded obviously much better than any of the rest and though blue is not my fav color on an acoustic guitar, it was really no contest tonally.  It originally had a black & white Hummingbird etched pick guard that was just butt ugly.  Our own Dave F stepped up with a few suggestions for replacement and we settled on this one...............single-layer solid white with a Texas cutout.  (Thanks, Dave!)

12 hours ago, Buc McMaster said:

The label says it's a limited edition Big Sky Hummingbird.  Among the four Hummingbirds the store had in stock this one sounded obviously much better than any of the rest and though blue is not my fav color on an acoustic guitar, it was really no contest tonally.  It originally had a black & white Hummingbird etched pick guard that was just butt ugly.  Our own Dave F stepped up with a few suggestions for replacement and we settled on this one...............single-layer solid white with a Texas cutout.  (Thanks, Dave!)

I like it!

Truly enjoyed it, Buc.  Your singing and playing are always “spot-on.”  You make it look easy.  I admire it all.  Like you, blue is not my favorite color for an acoustic, but that bird has such a damn mellow sound to my ears!  Super sweet.   ..... Good stuff, Buc!  Stay well and stay home!