Gibson Brands Forums

Jason Isbell on a 1946 (?) Gibson J-45

Lars68

Here is Jason Isbell playing what appears to be a 1946 J-45. Is that what it is? it sounds super.

Jason Isbell J-45

This video is from a series of live streams his wife Amanda Shires is putting up daily. The two of them are stuck at home with two friends,  and they share some very informal sessions from their home in Nashville. The music is great and the in-between chats are often hillarious. A lot of guitar and gear related stuff too in some of the videos.

Lars

It certainly is an early post-banner J-45, probably no later than early '47 with that bridge and logo. I would go out on a limb and say'46. It looks like it might still have a 1 3/4" nut, although that is a tough call to make based on a video.

Looks to be in very nice shape. It is direct-mic'd--no pickup-- but I couldn't see what the mic is.

The latest episode features Jason playing yet another great Gibson, an Everly Brothers. Knowing his taste in guitars, this is most likely the real deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBWvuHBC2n8

Apart from the three Gibsons on stage, the music in this episode is awesome (the cover of Wish You Were Here especially), and the in-between banter is ridiculous and funny.

Lars

Edited by Lars68

Here is Jason for an add for EB Strings. He only talks about the strings in the last 2 minutes of the 15 mins. He plays a red Tele, then a Burst LP and finally a Triburst Strat. He talks about his time in the Truckers, songwriting ect. Must be nice to be able to find, afford and have a '59.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU4tih-fgIA

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

16 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here is Jason for an add for EB Strings. He only talks about the strings in the last 2 minutes of the 15 mins. He plays a red Tele, then a Burst LP and finally a Triburst Strat. He talks about his time in the Truckers, songwriting ect. Must be nice to be able to find, afford and have a '59.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU4tih-fgIA

I enjoyed that clip, thanks! Hope you get to see him in June. He is coming to Sweden in November, and I hope to be there  (not sure of anything, though, at this point...). Of the currently working musicians, his work stands out to me. His marvelous lyrics and sense of melody, are what sets him apart in my book.

I'm guessing his contributions to "A Star is Born" are what got him that '59 Les Paul. I can't think of any other musician I would rather hear play one. By the way, I've heard him jokingly say the movie surely must be science fiction and take place in another world, because in the movie his song is a hit.

Lars

6 hours ago, Lars68 said:

I enjoyed that clip, thanks! Hope you get to see him in June. He is coming to Sweden in November, and I hope to be there  (not sure of anything, though, at this point...). Of the currently working musicians, his work stands out to me. His marvelous lyrics and sense of melody, are what sets him apart in my book.

I'm guessing his contributions to "A Star is Born" are what got him that '59 Les Paul. I can't think of any other musician I would rather hear play one. By the way, I've heard him jokingly say the movie surely must be science fiction and take place in another world, because in the movie his song is a hit.

Lars

He is the real deal. He was a drunk, got kicked out the the band he was in. sobered up, got married had a kid and his career is making the Drive By Truckers look silly.  He can play, sing and write.

• 1 month later...

Lars, thanks again for posting the link. I've been watching bits and pieces of random episodes ever since. Good way to kill 15 minutes during a finger break or something. That was the initial reasoning. Watching and listening to Jason and Seth have helped by way of example. Since I've been watching, I've made several adjustments to my own playing positioning and techniques, and have added a few songs I'd not heard of before to my chord-sheet folder. This past few weeks has resulted in as big of a playing and singing improvement as I've had in a long time.

22 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

Lars, thanks again for posting the link. I've been watching bits and pieces of random episodes ever since. Good way to kill 15 minutes during a finger break or something. That was the initial reasoning. Watching and listening to Jason and Seth have helped by way of example. Since I've been watching, I've made several adjustments to my own playing positioning and techniques, and have added a few songs I'd not heard of before to my chord-sheet folder. This past few weeks has resulted in as big of a playing and singing improvement as I've had in a long time.

I'm glad to hear the Youtube-clips have helped you out. I have watched them all and think they are great.

As you know by now, Isbell is a great inspiration to me. He is a real savant when it comes to lyrics, but his guitar playing, singing and overall musicianship is incredible too. If he had come around in the 60's or 70's, he would have been a platinum selling houshold name. The Times They Are A Changing, indeed...

Lars