Gibson Brands Forums

10 things you didn't know about Ireland...

KSG_Standard

Technically, It Is an Offense to Be Drunk in Public in Ireland

An Irishman Founded the Argentinean Navy

Only 2 Members of U2 Were Born in Ireland

The Street on Which You Will Find the British Embassy in Tehran Is Named After an Irishman

Up Until Around the Early 1990s, Ireland Had a Low Per Capita Consumption of Alcohol

A Hospital in Belfast Is a World Leader in Kneecap Reconstruction

Ireland Has the Fourth Largest Stadium in Europe

In the Summer of 2007, It Rained in Ireland for 40 Days Straight

Playboy Was Banned in Ireland Until 1995

More Guinness Is Sold in Nigeria Than in Ireland

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/AroundTheWorld/Story?id=7098616&page=1

Are you sure about that U2 fact? I know Adam Clayton was born in northern Ireland, and Bono was born near Dublin (he grew up on Connelly Street, the same street as I grew up on, but in Halifax! There ya go.... one fact about Gilliangirl (insert rolling eyes emoticon here). I thought Edge and Larry were born near Bono??

From the article:

David Howell Evans, more commonly known as The Edge, was born in London, to Welsh parents, Garvin and Gwenda Evans, who moved to Malahide in Dublin when The Edge was one year old. Adam Clayton, U2's bassist, was born in Oxfordshire, England. His family moved to Malahide in Dublin when he was five, and he became childhood friends with The Edge. Only Bono and Larry Mullen Jr. were actually born in Dublin.

I'm from Ireland and didn't know some of those facts...apart from the raining for 40 days straight, thats pretty much every summer around here....

I remember when U2 were recording I think it was during the recording for the 'all that you can't leave behind' album. I was in my wifes sisters apartment having something to eat, and you could hear U2 rehearsing. They were in a building across the water. It was down in the old docklands. Larry had an apartment in the building next door to ours. So they stop playing and as i'm sitting there they get on a little boat with an outboard motor and are put-put-putting on this tiny row boat type thing passing right under our window. It was like something out of the Simpsons it was so funny, the Edge was steering I think, with his little beany hat on, Bono was in the middle with his Bono fly shades on, and Adam was up front on his own looking cool and being ignored by the rest...I guess Larry must has gone over earlier to put the kettle on. If only I got a picture..

...yeah but you are at like 125bpm and they are at 89... (and you know... it's not the cowbell that I find anoying... it's that obama rap gang you have there... spending money that's not theirs to begin with).

Just saying...

And of course, in case it needs to be said: I was kidding

Archived