Gibson Brands Forums

2020 Historic Acoustic Lineup

jw3571

15 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

The small body lovers are feeling a bit short changed - so far a LG2 Banner RI but with a skinny nut and a L-00 Deluxe in Rosewood...

What about a reissue of the reissue L-00 Legend, Gibson?😒

Or an (exact) reissue of a 32 in Tux!

Or an (exact) reissue of a black Nick Lucas?

And a banner LG2 with a baseball neck!

Or just a plain old 37 L-00 in black with a firestripe guard?

Or the 12 fret L-00?

etc, etc.

BluesKing777.

I would love a L2 in Argentine Grey, 12 fret , Gold sparkle binding and Rosette as Legend/ Historic CS reissue. 

8 hours ago, J45fan said:

I would love a L2 in Argentine Grey, 12 fret , Gold sparkle binding and Rosette as Legend/ Historic CS reissue. 

We truly are in Dreamland now!

How will you get them to make that when they can't seem to do the famous 30s plain black with firestripe L-00?

https://reverb.com/item/29636815-gibson-l-00-1938-black

Or the famous 30s Tux L-00s? 14 and 12 fret!

https://reverb.com/item/29115575-1933-gibson-l-00-tuxedo

Instead they come up with a modern spec Blues King in black with a brown guard, modern neck and nut size....when did Gibson ever make a 30s L-00 like that? They really should be running these designs past Mark Agnesi, instead of the marketing department.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

9 hours ago, J45fan said:

if Im not mistakin. Gibson made those in the early 90s    I remember walking through the plant seeing those ready for putting in cases. 

Edited by slimt

7 hours ago, slimt said:

if Im not mistakin. Gibson made those in the early 90s    I remember walking through the plant seeing those ready for putting in cases. 

Wow never heard or seen a Reissue one. But in the 90's they overbuilt them anyway, these L-2s are really light weight.

8 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

We truly are in Dreamland now!

How will you get them to make that when they can't seem to do the famous 30s plain black with firestripe L-00?

https://reverb.com/item/29636815-gibson-l-00-1938-black

Or the famous 30s Tux L-00s? 14 and 12 fret!

https://reverb.com/item/29115575-1933-gibson-l-00-tuxedo

Instead they come up with a modern spec Blues King in black with a brown guard, modern neck and nut size....when did Gibson ever make a 30s L-00 like that? They really should be running these designs past Mark Agnesi, instead of the marketing department.

BluesKing777.

It's always good to have a dream, I played one of these L-2s and I fell in love with it. The owner, a smart guy, didn't sell.

This is what I got a 1933 L-1 with elevated fingerboard. A great sounding fingerpicking guitar and great for slide as well

FRL6Zh3.jpg

RNudbSk.jpg

4 hours ago, J45fan said:

This is what I got . . .

Such a beauty-  a demure sunburst, wearing a unique and authentic example of a firestripe guard, the likes of which can't be found  today. You torture those of us who love the little old Gibson blues boxes. Can't you favor us with a short video clip? Even 25 seconds? I dare you!

6 hours ago, J45fan said:

Wow never heard or seen a Reissue one. But in the 90's they overbuilt them anyway, these L-2s are really light weight.

It's always good to have a dream, I played one of these L-2s and I fell in love with it. The owner, a smart guy, didn't sell.

This is what I got a 1933 L-1 with elevated fingerboard. A great sounding fingerpicking guitar and great for slide as well

FRL6Zh3.jpg

RNudbSk.jpg

I own a 34 L2 14 fret.    As for the reissue L2  its a nice guitar.  

3 hours ago, 62burst said:

Such a beauty-  a demure sunburst, wearing a unique and authentic example of a firestripe guard, the likes of which can't be found  today. You torture those of us who love the little old Gibson blues boxes. Can't you favor us with a short video clip? Even 25 seconds? I dare you!

I would love to do a short clip, but it's in look down. I brought it to my luthier for a fret leveling and due to corona lockdown I can't get to it and one of my Tele's as well. Looks like another month wait till I get both back to me. This is one of the reason's, one can never have enough guitars 😉

15 hours ago, J45fan said:

FRL6Zh3.jpg

RNudbSk.jpg

Nice guitar.   

• 3 months later...

I just looked at this collection -- it is spooky.  I have no interest in the 200 family of guitars, but other than that I pretty much have them all.  Also they often seem to date many of the models at one year earlier that the actual model -- that was very common before Willi Henkes research suggested that was hyperbole.  If you allow that correction, I have them all.  Can the RW J-55 be far behind -- you can probably count the original instruments on one hand.

A 31 L-2 is a truly fine instruments -- IME possible the finest tone ever in a small bodied Gibson.😎

y6mhMXD.jpguBEjIPF.jpg

Example of all my originals except my 1940 J-55 RW -- which I have not uploaded yet but I will later this week -- can be found in this vimeo album.

LARGE BODY GUITARS

Lets pick,

-Tom

Edited by tpbiii

Well....it is a few months on and no sign of life with the new range here.....zip.

The guy at the shop I go to said mid July....

I am interested to try some Historics...not buying. I don’t understand why there is no 30s L-00 Historic, toasted top, 1 3/4” nut etc... in the collection? 14 fret AND 12 fret! Though I probably don’t need one - the LG2 Historic is a disappointment to me with the skinny nut!

BluesKing777.

12 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Well....it is a few months on and no sign of life with the new range here.....zip.

The guy at the shop I go to said mid July....

I am interested to try some Historics...not buying. I don’t understand why there is no 30s L-00 Historic, toasted top, 1 3/4” nut etc... in the collection? 14 fret AND 12 fret! Though I probably don’t need one - the LG2 Historic is a disappointment to me with the skinny nut!

BluesKing777.

Ordered  my 1957 SJ-200 on Feb 6 - still no idea when it might get here but I do know Bozeman have been back in production for over a month now and are busy filling orders.

Edited by Brucebubs

My local dealer just received the Historic 1960 Fixed Bridge Hummingbird, HC burst.  Build date recorded 6/25 /2020.  At least that is the date on the checklist. I'm hoping soon the SJ 200 Pre War will arrive. Gonna take the plunge ! Major GAS for it .  Which one will be the lucky addition to the L-OO Vintage 2018, Hummingbird Vintage 2018 and J45TV 2015 ? I hated to do it but the Hummingbird LTD 12 string is there looking for a new friend. The SJ 200 Pre War is getting the nod.

On 3/29/2020 at 3:54 AM, jw3571 said:

Anyone been able to play any of the 2020 Historic lineup?  I'm pretty intrigued by the SJ200 Pre War as well as the 1942 Southern Jumbo.

If they are anything like as good as the reissue of the 1950s J-50 then you’ll be in for a treat. 

Edited by TomG76
Typo

On 7/16/2020 at 6:36 PM, freebyrd said:

My local dealer just received the Historic 1960 Fixed Bridge Hummingbird, HC burst.  Build date recorded 6/25 /2020.  At least that is the date on the checklist. I'm hoping soon the SJ 200 Pre War will arrive. Gonna take the plunge ! Major GAS for it .  Which one will be the lucky addition to the L-OO Vintage 2018, Hummingbird Vintage 2018 and J45TV 2015 ? I hated to do it but the Hummingbird LTD 12 string is there looking for a new friend. The SJ 200 Pre War is getting the nod.

Did you get to try the 1960 Fixed Bridge 'Bird? I've "only" got a 2018 hummingbird Standard, but am curious to someday play one of those historic series models to see how they compare. (or don't compare)

PatriotsBiker no I did not get to play it. It was locked in a wall hung cabinet. I did manage to get a close inspection 

of the bracing through the sound hole.  The sanding on the bracing was smooth as glass. Very high quality sanding job, hide glue etc.

I was hesitant to play it as if I did I just might change my mind on the Pre War SJ200. I mean really, why tempt yourself when you have your heart set on another prize ? I do have to go back at some point soon. I can readdress it then.  Overall my 2018 vintage Bird is equal or better.

JMO.

I've been looking into a number of this year's historic lineup but can't try any out as my local shop's showroom remains closed.  I currently have a 2014 J-45 True Vintage that took a while to grow on me but I love it now and will likely keep it forever.  I also have a Martin CE0-7 and am looking for my next acoustic.  

Is it true that the J-45 True Vintages were braced more similarly to a J-35?  Anyone know if the 1942 J-45 in the current line would be significantly different than what I have?  I've never played an aged top and don't know what to think of them.  I'd be sold on the Southern Jumbo but not sure I want rosewood.  Are the historic J-35 models going to be "brighter" than the J-45's?  

I'm trying to find the sweet spot between getting something I know and love and something that's different than what I currently have.  Recommendations?