Gibson Brands Forums

Advice on a Dove

EDP

Hi,

Relatively new  member looking to select a Dove.  My other acoustics are a Gibson Parlor Rosewood and a Gibson Montana SJ-200 Deluxe that is also Rosewood.  Have played a friend’s maple SJ-200 and am interested in a maple acoustic.  

in looking around, the new models are roughly $4200.  Interestingly, most of the used in decent condition are listed at ~$3000-$3500, so, I guess they hold their value well.  The used Doves in Flight start around $1000 more at $5k

Curious as to everyone’s thoughts and suggestions.  My primary focus in playability and tone.  I tend to have a gentle touch as I play finger style frequently.

thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions

cheers!

Edited by EDP

I own a 2008 Dove and 2002 J-150 (J-200 without binding).   Id say the main diff is the super jumbo is more balanced, while more bottom end with the Dove.  I really like the Dove a lot, even more than my Hummingbird, but, the J-150 is just too good and gets 80% of play.

• Like 1

My 1996 Dove is a stellar guitar and funnily enough is far the most sensitive acoustic here when it comes to winter humidity.  Simply have to shim or change saddle to keep it goin'. 

But now were talking about maple squares, don't dismiss or forget the Firebird Custom.  4 versions of this monstrous and majestic flier coming up. 

Lots of green flamery there, , , I had to put the ones on my guard out. . . 

I've had a couple J200 standard maples. One was very good and I wish I still had it.

Here's my current group of maples. I'm really liking the DIF.

If it's just maple you're looking for there's plenty of models out there. Square shouldered are limited. Someone recently posted their NL they just received.

Here's my maple line up

L5 - F5 - Super 400 - ES175

Fender Tele Select - DIF -  J185 - LC Century of Progress - L1 F hole - LP

Maples

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

My 1996 Dove is a stellar guitar and funnily enough is far the most sensitive acoustic here when it comes to winter humidity.  Simply have to shim or change saddle to keep it goin'. 

But now were talking about maple squares, don't dismiss or forget the Firebird Custom.  4 versions of this monstrous and majestic flier coming up. 

Lots of green flamery there, , , I had to put the ones on my guard out. . . 

Very cool.  I will check these out.  Thanks!

12 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I've had a couple J200 standard maples. One was very good and I wish I still had it.

If it's just maple you're looking for there's plenty of models out there. Square shouldered are limited. Someone recently posted their NL they just received.

Here's my maple line up

Maples

Wow.  This is impressive.  How much do you play that Dove?  Are there specific purposes for which it is best suited?  Thanks!

Still on a honeymoon with the DIF. 
Check back in a year or two

2 hours ago, EDP said:

Wow.  This is impressive.  How much do you play that Dove?  Are there specific purposes for which it is best suited?  Thanks!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave F said:

Here's my maple line up

Maples

I'm the one who got the Maple Nick Lucas.  It's a great guitar, very articulate and robust.  I also have a 93 Maple Guild jumbo that's a fantastic guitar

19 hours ago, Dave F said:

Here's my maple line up

Maples

Geeze Dave - I do love your pictures!  

I've owned three. I currently have a 1995 example which is is the most beaten up acoustic I l own. Tons of lacquer checking, lacquer almost entirely worn off the back of the neck, bridge changed (oddly for a '70s Dove bridge), refretted, clearly played hard and long throughout its life.

love it. Such a great guitar. Amazing note separation for fingerstyle but compresses gorgeously when played with a pic. I have a MagMic in it and it's a great live guitar. 

Here it is with me at my show at Glasgow CCA last December. Gosh, I miss playing live.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JuanCarlosVejar said:

I’ve played one Dove in my life.

It was used but sounded amazing !

Still think about owning one all the time.

JC

The only one  I’ve ever played is the one I own. Bought it off reverb, sight unseen. The guy offered it at a price I couldn’t refuse. I’ve seen Doves in Flight up close, in guitar stores,  but never had an opportunity to play a standard. Could never afford a dif, so I never played them.  This one is a 2007, & I love it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jinder said:

I've owned three. I currently have a 1995 example which is is the most beaten up acoustic I l own. Tons of lacquer checking, lacquer almost entirely worn off the back of the neck, bridge changed (oddly for a '70s Dove bridge), refretted, clearly played hard and long throughout its life.

love it. Such a great guitar. Amazing note separation for fingerstyle but compresses gorgeously when played with a pic. I have a MagMic in it and it's a great live guitar. 

Here it is with me at my show at Glasgow CCA last December. Gosh, I miss playing live.

Thanks for the review and for sharing that performance.  Beautiful.

• Like 1

Are the differences with the Doves in Flight only the cosmetic upgrades or are there other elements that effect tone and/or playability?  Looks like there are some older DIF that are priced almost the same as a new Dove.  Thx!

I'm no expert on them but I think it's mainly the materials and decor. Here's the specs from 2016 like the one I recently acquired. I see on the new ones they are using richlite.

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2016/Doves-in-Flight-Quilt.aspx

SSDFQCGH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

SSDFQCGH1_BODY_FRONT_BACK.jpg

There were different versions of the DIF like everything else. Here's a RW version from 2016

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2016/Doves-in-Flight-Mystic-Rosewood.aspx

SSDFMRGH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

SSDFMRGH1_BODY_FRONT_BACK.jpg

I think my Dove is something like a 2010 or so.  I forget and haven’t looked at the sticker for a while.  I bought it “used” through Guitar Center.  It came from a GC  in Atlanta.  It’s likely the loudest guitar I’ve ever owned, if big volume is important.  Projects very well.  I plug-in for all my gigs, but with the Dove I could almost play unplugged.   I’m purely a finger picker (pretty gentle stuff) ,but if I played with a pick I could probably play unplugged at some gigs and I’d be fine.  This guitar is also very articulate.  Each note is really clear and rings-on and on.  Whoever had it before me must have been a finger picker also, because it’s almost like fretting an electric guitar.  Ideal for what I play.  Very comfortable to play.  Very similar to my hog Hummingbird, but resonates more (I assume because of the maple).  Anyway, I’ve thought about a Doves in Flight(also maple).  Was tempted around Thanksgiving, but didn’t know if I’d be gaining anything beyond the “doves in flight” inlays.  Sweet guitar, but I decided to keep the beast I have......Whatever Dove you decide on, I don’t think you can go wrong.

Edited by MissouriPicker

I found my 2005 Gibson Dove at a pawn shop going cheap because someone wrote on it with texta and the guitar body is heavily worn in places, dove worn off, not a huge lot of saddle left..... It must have been played by someone who only knew "G" or only played open strings or something - the neck is seemingly untouched. Weird. yes but I have seen a local girl singer play like that fronting a band....So the guitar gets all the wear of road use but not a huge lot of play use!!! Go figure.

Anyway, a square dread is not my usual kind of guitar - prefer L-00 and 00 size guitars. But it was cheap and it was there a long while and I have never owned a cherry red burst, so...played it, bought it, last year. The ad said it had a 'Baggs pickup'. It is a wonderful full model Baggs Anthem!!! Worth a lot in my neck of the woods.

It is tight for my fingerpicking in truth but I have enjoyed the maple! Clear and well spoken! And it is staying because it is great for Neil Young tunes etc, of all surprises.

byJeKKoh.jpg

8zcyEi9h.jpg

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Hi EDP. You will not go wrong with a Dove. I also own a maple SJ-200 and love it. I too always wanted to own a Dove. Well it just so happens my wife wanted me to have one black guitar.  Being the nice guy that I am I did not want to disappoint her. I told her I would look into it. I looked for months to find a black Dove and finally found one at the Music Zoo last September. Here is a link to the actual Dove I purchased:

https://www.themusiczoo.com/products/gibson-dove-acoustic-electric-ebony-made-2-measure

I absolutely love this guitar. Very full sounding and really compliments my mahogany J-45 and Hummingbird. 

Oh, and my wife loves both the look and sound, as do I. Plus the Music Zoo was great to work with. I got a satisfactory price, it was shipped on time, and the follow up customer service was great. First time doing business with them but I would go there again. 

If you want a Dove get a Dove. Life is too short. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Thanks forty. Yes, it does sound every bit as good as it looks. I absolutely love the sound of a good Gibson acoustic and this one surely does not disappoint. It came set up so well that playing it is a breeze. I honestly cannot give it any bad marks. If anyone is on the fence about owning a Dove I wholeheartedly say go for it!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, espgnlo said:

Hi EDP. You will not go wrong with a Dove. I also own a maple SJ-200 and love it. I too always wanted to own a Dove. Well it just so happens my wife wanted me to have one black guitar.  Being the nice guy that I am I did not want to disappoint her. I told her I would look into it. I looked for months to find a black Dove and finally found one at the Music Zoo last September. Here is a link to the actual Dove I purchased:

https://www.themusiczoo.com/products/gibson-dove-acoustic-electric-ebony-made-2-measure

I absolutely love this guitar. Very full sounding and really compliments my mahogany J-45 and Hummingbird. 

Oh, and my wife loves both the look and sound, as do I. Plus the Music Zoo was great to work with. I got a satisfactory price, it was shipped on time, and the follow up customer service was great. First time doing business with them but I would go there again. 

If you want a Dove get a Dove. Life is too short. Enjoy!

Gorgeous!