Gibson Brands Forums

Advice on a Dove

EDP

39 minutes ago, 62burst said:

However, the "chronic issue" would not be chronic to me, and would be solvable in less time than it takes to carefully pack, video document, travel to the shipper's location, and return home.

However, the "chronic issue" would not be chronic to me, and would be solvable in less time than it takes to carefully pack, video document, travel to the shipper's location, and return home.

Does that mean you would return it or you would let them fix it?  Sorry, hard to be sure i am tracking all the posts correctly...

62Burst.  Thank you.  Have heard back from the dealer.   He is going to place a call to Gibson and get back to me later today.  Looking forward to hearing back.

Also, understood on . your points about a standard Dove.  thank again for you help and advice.

Hi All,

Just got off the phone with the seller/owner.   They contacted Gibson and They have agreed that I can send the guitar back to the factory at any time in the future (they are closed right now for covid) and they will replace the guard using a new technique that they believed will solve the issue for good.

The owner also looked at the other DIFs that he has in stock and 2 already were showing this issue.  he offered me one of those but I am quickly bonding with this one.

So, incredible service and communication from the seller and I am very happy with the outcome.

Thanks to all here for encouraging me to think through all my options.  It was a huge help.

NGD thread tbd

Cheers!

8 hours ago, 62burst said:

An interesting thing to do, once things open up again. But have you tried any other Firebirds? Once again, it may be different still from Emin7 Fireball X15.

The obvious scientific Q there, burst - the answer is yes. Haven't tried many Doves though.  
But bein' an incarnated A/B'er I know the difference between nuances of similar models (yes, they can be huge) and 2 fundamentally different guitars. 

Of course went through many films demoing both fliers on the Tube - and they all more or less confirm my view : The  Dove bein' so dovish while the F is bigger yet more neutral. 
To avoid further self-repetition, let's set up 2 videos, which work quite illustrative  -

The second was posted on page 1 of this thread. 
Would like to hear others chime in, but guess both the Dove and especially the F are too rare and high-flying for common small talk.  Feel freee. . .

Edited by E-minor7

4 minutes ago, EDP said:

Hi All,

Just got off the phone with the seller/owner.   They contacted Gibson and They have agreed that I can send the guitar back to the factory at any time in the future (they are closed right now for covid) and they will replace the guard using a new technique that they believed will solve the issue for good.

Great news -🎺 this guitar must be fanfared with a video when time is right. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

, let's set up 2 videos, which work quite illustrative  -

Such a great performance, I forgot JoiL was doing a 2006 Dove for sale demo at WantMe Sound Shop. He saved the best for last, starting at 4:43. Not only made a case for how maple back & sides can save a big dread from going too deep by keeping things crisp, but an all around excellent example of acoustic guitar sound. So much for my disinterest in the long scale square dread.

Glad u put that up, E.

Edited by 62burst

23 hours ago, 62burst said:

He saved the best for last, starting at 4:43.

Agree, , , he is playing some beautiful traditional wooden 6-string from that mark and out.

But apart from that I found out that my Dove has its back-braces placed over a centimeter forward compared to the F-bird, , , which has slightly thicker b-braces. The 2 top bracings aren't examined, but I think it was done some years ago. Must repeat and take a closer look during next double-string-change.  So far so good. . 

On another note - which some might find controversial - I feel tempted to claim, that if there ever came an acoustic hippie-guitar out of the holy Gibson halls, it is the Dove. The Hummingbird may point in that direction, but a well broken in Dove is there. . 

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

But apart from that I found out that my Dove has its back-braces placed over a centimeter forward compared to the F-bird, , , which has slightly thicker b-braces. The 2 top bracings aren't examined, but I think it was done some years ago. Must repeat and take a closer look during next double-string-change.  So far so good. . 

On another note - which some might find controversial - I feel tempted to claim, that if there ever came an acoustic hippie-guitar out of the holy Gibson halls, it is the Dove. The Hummingbird may point in that direction, but a well broken in Dove is there. . 

Almost freaked when reading of Firebird braces more rearward, 'til the mentioning of top bracings being non-checked, since the above two videos left me with a feeling of the Firebird having a sharper edge to the sound, which the rearward cross-bracing would be inclined  to return if talking top vs back. Back bracing? I thought that was just to hold the thing together. 😺.

No need to wait for the string change(s)- a flat stick marked how far it goes back from the soundhole to the x, or . . . got a light? :

UeZambD.jpg?1

"an acoustic hippie guitar. . . the Dove" ? Oh, now you've gone & done it. Gotta be the soft strummer, the mahogany Hummingbird. Don't be fooled by the Bird of Peace on the pickguard- there is power under the hood of a Dove.

Edited by 62burst

• 8 months later...
On 4/22/2020 at 12:13 PM, EDP said:

Hi All,

The owner also looked at the other DIFs that he has in stock and 2 already were showing this issue.  he offered me one of those but I am quickly bonding with this one.

So, incredible service and communication from the seller and I am very happy with the outcome.

Thanks to all here for encouraging me to think through all my options.  It was a huge help.

NGD thread tbd

Cheers!

Hi EDP, Sorry I didn't respond sooner, My DIF is new from Wildwood (November 2019) and has the same issue with one edge on the pickguard as yours, the bottom Dove.  Gibson said the same thing, hold it down, etc.....they finally had me take it to a local luthier who did nothing.....and you're right, a 5k guitar should be better, so since they've told you they have a new technique I think I'll give them a call again.  Thanks.....

• 4 months later...
On 3/31/2020 at 2:30 PM, Jinder said:

I've owned three. I currently have a 1995 example which is is the most beaten up acoustic I l own. Tons of lacquer checking, lacquer almost entirely worn off the back of the neck, bridge changed (oddly for a '70s Dove bridge), refretted, clearly played hard and long throughout its life.

love it. Such a great guitar. Amazing note separation for fingerstyle but compresses gorgeously when played with a pic. I have a MagMic in it and it's a great live guitar. 

Here it is with me at my show at Glasgow CCA last December. Gosh, I miss playing live.

outstanding ....bravo

• Like 1

• 2 years later...