Gibson Brands Forums

Old Kraftsman

Roach

Hey all vintage experts, I have this Old Kraftsman Acoustic that I have had most of my life, i am 51 now. I am trying to get a date for when it was made. I do not think it is a gibson made guitar, but it does have a stamp on the inside that looks like this: "L 23 02" and I have heard that the gibsons that were made for old kraftsman, were model #'s starting with L so I thought id try here since no other manufacture of old kraftsman had model # information. Whils old kraftsman was made for spiegle catalog, I was told this was sold through montgomery wards by my mom who is passed on now. Other than the model and the old kraftsman  logo on the head only other marking is the back of head says steel reinforced neck in a square at what looks like the top of a music stand. Can anyone help me date this thing?

https://gyazo.com/4a34504e1507d51d58b7064670c744f4

https://gyazo.com/2660b948fce48789c0eb3dffd99d547f

It looks to be '60s to me. I think Gibson only made them for a couple years (late '30s) if memory serves, with the "Old Kraftsman" moniker. The Gibson made ones look very similar to the Recording King or Kalamazoo models they made. The painted on binding and "steel reinforced neck" give a nod to 1960's Kay instruments, which most Old Kraftsman were.

Looks to be in good shape ! Enjoy!!

1 hour ago, aliasphobias said:

It looks to be '60s to me. I think Gibson only made them for a couple years (late '30s) if memory serves, with the "Old Kraftsman" moniker. The Gibson made ones look very similar to the Recording King or Kalamazoo models they made. The painted on binding and "steel reinforced neck" give a nod to 1960's Kay instruments, which most Old Kraftsman were.

Looks to be in good shape ! Enjoy!!

We have determined 63-68 but still not the actual year. That will have to do, unless somebody does know. I guess the only way might be if anyone has old spiegle catalogs for those years. I got it in 74 and was told it came from montgomery wards, but such a long time ago now.