Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Search

tru

Either a pre-1947 J-45, with a naturally-aged 70-year-old top, back, and sides, or something that may or may not exist: a new J-45 Legend.

The hard one of those characteristics  to find is all hide glue construction.  Many recent models have hide glue for the top bracing, and of course, the neck joint,  but all hide glue is harder to come by.

In the current line-up the Custom Historic 1942 J-45 Banner comes the closest, but that is not all hide glue construction: top braces and neck joint only.

I assume when you say script logo, you are not discriminating between banner script logo and non-banner script logo, as you would be cutting your selection even finer.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Probably the custom one you will need to order.

Bozeman does accept requests for custom orders: probably through one of their 5 Star Dealers.  But, I'd doubt they're taking orders now, due to the Wuhan Corona Virus.  I'd expect, when a manufacturing facility faces something like this - the first thing they do is consolidate operations and cut back first on custom orders, and then on 'loss leaders' and then on models that don't sell well.    If you're thinking of an older, say '20th Century' model - good luck.  You might want to just take J45N's advice and consider the Custom Historic '42.  Before they're all gone. 

13 minutes ago, Boyd said:

I couldn't care less about the type of glue myself. Are there really "so many people" who do?

No. Most folks’ knowledge and experience stop well before hide glue and other construction aspects.

21 hours ago, j45nick said:

Either a pre-1947 J-45, with a naturally-aged 70-year-old top, back, and sides, or something that may or may not exist: a new J-45 Legend.

The hard one of those characteristics  to find is all hide glue construction.  Many recent models have hide glue for the top bracing, and of course, the neck joint,  but all hide glue is harder to come by.

In the current line-up the Custom Historic 1942 J-45 Banner comes the closest, but that is not all hide glue construction: top braces and neck joint only.

I assume when you say script logo, you are not discriminating between banner script logo and non-banner script logo, as you would be cutting your selection even finer.

Thanks!

And yes, the difference between script logo and script with banner is something I did not consider, as both exist. I should have said banner.

25 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here is a question I have. What do so many people want hide glue? I see the outside of my guitar and whatever I see through the hole. I don't go looking for glue inside my guitar.

The subject of hide glue (and guitar construction in general) is quite a rabbit hole.

Suffice it to say that many folks would never buy their house based simply on curb appeal, but quite easily do so with guitars.

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

I've (obviously) looked in all my sound holes of my acoustic guitars at one time or another, and never have I ever seen any traces of glue.

Ahhh, I see. Hide means made from animals (their hides)...not “hidden.”

23 minutes ago, tru said:

No. Most folks’ knowledge and experience stop well before hide glue and other construction aspects.

Actually I have quite a lot of experience with hide glue. I have run a number of shops that construct theatrical scenery. Back in the 1970's, hide glue was widely used for this. The carpenters used it to glue wood and painters diluted it with water and mixed "whiting" to form a base to which powdered scenic paints were added. In 1979, I took a job as Technical Director at the State University of New York at Oswego. My predecessor - who came from a fine woodworking background - was a big proponent of hide glue, and they had several "glue pots" that were sort of like a crock pot with water and an inner container to hold the granular glue that melted with the heat and was maintained at a constant temperature, ready to use.

I came from a more practical scenic design and construction background, and had used hide glue in the past but really disliked it. For one thing, you knew instantly if a shop was using it, because it just smelled bad. When that stuff rots - it stinks. And using it for scenic paint was just a big mess. The colors tended to be very vibrant, which was good, but they did not dissolve well in the solution, and when you picked up something that was painted with it, it got all over your hands (or costume).  The powdered colors were also carcinogenic, and created a lot of dust. When you blew your nose after mixing Prussian BLue, the snot was the same color. 😉 Then again, there was that *smell* because there was always a bucket somewhere rotting away. I prefered Elmer's Glue and pre-mixed casein or latex paints and we got rid of all the old glue and pigments. When I first started the job, the former tech director was still limping around on crutches. It seems that he had one of those glue pots on the floor while working, and accidentally stepped in it. He was wearing boots, but still received serious burns. 

Admittedly, this has nothing to do with guitars. I don't know, maybe it's just wonderful for that. But I do have "knowledge and experience" with hide glue, and I don't like it! 🙂

Edited by Boyd
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tru said:

Ahhh, I see. Hide means made from animals (their hides)...not “hidden.”

Ever hear the old expression of "sending a horse to the glue factory"? Yep, that's where it comes from! 😂

• Haha 1

On 4/4/2020 at 1:11 PM, Boyd said:

Apparently not at Gibson. Better not tell PETA!   😂

PETA's HQ was down the street from where I worked when I was stationed in Downtown Norfolk, VA.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper