Gibson Brands Forums

Guitars You Stupidly Sold And Miss

SteveFord

I can only think of 3 I'd really like back:

Late 70s ES 335, wine red w/ coil tap switch and trapeze tail piece

74 SG Standard in red which was just astonishingly aggressive sounding through a Marshall stack

2005 Firebird VII in candy apple red which just exuded class.

Anyone else?

Not sure this counts, but ... I should have bought a 1979 Les Paul KM while it was still brand new and in my hands.  Fabulous guitar.

And ... I never should have sold my 1989 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II (just like this one except this one pictured has some ungodly modification to the - otherwise - beautiful stock rims):

00101_akZsfKbyd6N_1200x900-640x480.jpg

The very first electric guitar I ever bought (when I was in a garage band, back in high school) was a used 1971 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe. 
A gold-top. 
Had to have it after I sawr Jeff Lynne playing one on the television. 

Sold it stupidly when I joined the Army and left home to go off to Basic Training at Fort Jackson, SC. 

I am happy to report that the fellow I sold it to still owns it and plays it to this day. 
So I got that going for me. 
😞

Edited by sparquelito
  • Like 1

My 2000 american standard strat...  had a fret buzz issue i just couldn't resolve / get resolved (but now i believe it might be the people I was working with to resolve it).   sold it out of exasperation.  I miss it.  but i've been bonding with my SG as a result.

I haven't owned as many guitars as most of you, but I have gotten rid of quite a few. I don't really miss any guitars that are gone, because I love the ones I've got. But, to answer the question, if I had to name any, they would be a 1999 American Standard Strat or a 2003 Gretsch G6120 Nashville. That was the only Strat I ever owned, and as many mods as I made to it, I could never really bond.

Edited by zigzag

1966 or '67 rosewood board Strat, large headstock, ser.no. 161234.

Sold with case for £350 to Vintage and Rare guitars at the turn of the 80s, about 3 weeks before the Strat revival started! [crying]

Probably worth £8-10k+? now.....

Also in pic; original 70s Hagstrom Swede, original Roland JC120 - all long gone.

StratJC120Swede.jpg

Edited by jdgm

10 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

Not sure this counts, but ... I should have bought a 1979 Les Paul KM while it was still brand new and in my hands.  Fabulous guitar.

And ... I never should have sold my 1989 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II (just like this one except this one pictured has some ungodly modification to the - otherwise - beautiful stock rims):

00101_akZsfKbyd6N_1200x900-640x480.jpg

Those look like Cali houses.

The Gary Moore BFG I had...  I sold it mainly cos I didn't get on with the fat neck.. I hadn't started building at that point. If I still had it I would have shaved the neck down myself now... The thing about this guitar is it didn't look or sound like any other guitar I have or have played.. Proper unique... I loved the barely finished look and it had a proper monster sound, especially in the middle position.

mkPVV5C.jpg

5NceXCt.jpg

mUuii6i.jpg

emLlEtH.jpggXA13p7.jpg?1

I regret selling a mid to late 50's Gibson Les Paul Jr. with P90.

And a mint Vintage Sunburst 1959 Gibson ES345 Stereo. You know, the one with Original PAF Humbuckers... Best sounding Guitar I've ever heard.. I've been chasing that Sound ever since.. Nothing does.. A couple come close but nothing compares to those Pickups on that Guitar.. I was so naive..

Edited by Larsongs

I'm glad I sold my '78 Strat. It was evil. I wish I hadn't sold my Electra Workingman. There's a couple other guitars I had when I first started playing but they were sufficiently horrible so I don't miss them much.  Others I've sold over the years, I don't miss much. Pretty much just the one I wish I could get back because it was my first decent electric guitar.