Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Forum--like it or hate it?

Bluemoon

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many times can you talk about strings' date=' pickups, guitar finishes, slashtone, etc.? The lounge is supposed to be for subjects other that guitars. If you don't like the "controversial" threads, why not just ignore them? What would you suggest that we talk about in the lounge? [/quote']

It is a Gibson Guitar forum. That is why we like to talk about gear. If I want politics I look at the news.

When we asked for the Loungue it was to be able to talk about gear that was not Gibson related. Hence the subtitle of the Loungue. Previously this forum overall was policed closely.

We are a microcosm yes but of guitarrists and music lovers and everyone is represented.

You do not solve anything talking politics around here.

I'm Guilty! Five of those 20 posts were mine.

Please don't ban me from "The Lounge".

I implore you!

I can't help it. I have a degree in Social Science. It's my nature to post social, economic, historical, and political posts.

You have to admit. Militarizing the southern border was a good one.

It is a Gibson Guitar forum. That is why we like to talk about gear. If I want politics I look at the news.

When we asked for the Loungue it was to be able to talk about gear that was not Gibson related. Hence the subtitle of the Loungue. Previously this forum overall was policed closely.

We are a microcosm yes but of guitarrists and music lovers and everyone is represented.

i dont necessarily diagree with you' date=' but the stats say otherwise. the threads with the most posts and the most views are NOT gear related. clearly there is a market for it.

and look at it this way, every day or so some jerkoff signs up and posts a "is this fake thread?" then a good number of members, noobs and old-timers post responses explaining WHY it is fake. i railed against these threads and responding to them a long time ago and was told that if i didnt like it i "should go play in another sandbox." now between the above situation and talking politics, which ultimately does the most damage? Somehow i think helping chinese counterfeiters is much worse than debating the use of "assault rifles"....even though those threads are strictly "gear related."

so as Thundergod told me so long ago, everyone who doesnt like [i']any[/i] particular thread is free to play in another sandbox.

As things are sometime misinterpretted on the internet, i am not slinging sh!t at you or trying to be a jerk. Just trying for stimulating conversation.

You don't have to go against your nature. You could post that stuff in a Political Forum.

The stats that KSG refernces it does not count deleted posts and all of the politics that bleed into other posts that do not start as a political post.

Also political posts opened the gate and go hand in hand with religion, ethinicity and sexual preference posts. that are not counted above.

i dont necessarily diagree with you' date=' but the stats say otherwise. the threads with the most posts and the most views are NOT gear related. clearly there is a market for it.

and look at it this way, every day or so some jerkoff signs up and posts a "is this fake thread?" then a good number of members, noobs and old-timers post responses explaining WHY it is fake. i railed against these threads and responding to them a long time ago and was told that if i didnt like it i "should go play in another sandbox." now between the above situation and talking politics, which ultimately does the most damage? Somehow i think helping chinese counterfeiters is much worse than debating the use of "assault rifles"....even though those threads are strictly "gear related."

so as Thundergod told me so long ago, everyone who doesnt like [i']any[/i] particular thread is free to play in another sandbox.

As things are sometime misinterpretted on the internet, i am not slinging sh!t at you or trying to be a jerk. Just trying for stimulating conversation.

I do see your point, I am really not thinking black and white here.

The one thing you have to admit is that all of the subjects that are non-gear related and that are hot points like Politics, Religion, Sex, Ethnicity tends to change the overall mood of the entire Lounge and tend to bleed out into other kinds of threads.

I do play in other sandboxes. I post on the Spanish forum where things are a lot more friendly.

StiffHand' date=' I'm not trying to be a jerk, but the title and description of the lounge is:

[b']The Gibson Lounge

You asked for it! Here is your place for all things all topic, and at large[/b]

If you don't want to talk about non-music related stuff, then why not just ignore the stuff you don't like?

Musicians (even drummers) talk about stuff other than music. Rolling Stone has political reporters, Musicians get involved in political causes all the time. When I talk about stuff, I'm not always trying to solve a problem. Sometimes I'm just talking to share ideas with people who might have similar interests as me.

The one thing you have to admit is that all of the subjects that are non-gear related and that are hot points like Politics' date=' Religion, Sex, Ethnicity tends to change the overall mood of the entire Lounge and tend to bleed out into other kinds of threads.

[/quote']

i do agree with you on that one

I love a good argument. Sometimes tempers flare and it becomes a good fight. That's ok too. It's called life. It would be a boring place if the kids didn't on occasion let their hair down. That's not to say I don't at times want to through my computer across the room, I do, but again that's what makes it worth doing.

There are plenty of avenues for those who wish to talk gear. There are plenty of avenues for those who just want to show pics of their favorite guitar, but how many people can sit and discuss this type of stuff day in and day out. I still learn from the gear posts and look forward to those pics of exotic guitars, but if that was all this place was I would probably be here once a week. That is how it was only a few short months ago.

When the major battles flare here in the lounge the same thing always happens. Everyone condemns the unruly behavior and acts as if these things aren't part of the reason they're here. I think this to be a bit disingenuous. We never say we want to see the car crash, but we all look while we're driving buy. That is as true here as on the road. Fact is the posts that get them most hits are those that create controversy.

This is the 'train wreck calling the kettle a pot'.

in the spirit of that post stiffhand, i do apologize for 1 thread where i specifically called out another forum member. my intent was to start a rational debate, which unfortunately devolved into me being compared to Timothy McVeigh. for that, i apologize to all members involved and not involved.

StiffHand' date=' I'm not trying to be a jerk, but the title and description of the lounge is:

[b']The Gibson Lounge

You asked for it! Here is your place for all things all topic, and at large[/b]

If you don't want to talk about non-music related stuff, then why not just ignore the stuff you don't like?

Musicians (even drummers) talk about stuff other than music. Rolling Stone has political reporters, Musicians get involved in political causes all the time. When I talk about stuff, I'm not always trying to solve a problem. Sometimes I'm just talking to share ideas with people who might have similar interests as me.

Sure, if you are not trying to be a jerk then don't be one. It is just that easy.

You were not around when we asked for the Loungue...what you do not seem to grasp is that the tone of political threads bleeds into other threads and diverts time from more positive and useful inputs.

Buddy Light (named himself Bud Lite this time) post this morning had to be deleted immediately because of the offesive nature of the post. He was just trying to share his point of view you know?

Not trying to change the subject, but who here knows how to do a denial of service ping. That's where someone pings the IP address of someone just to keep them from communicating on the net. It seems to be happening to me. When I have the details of who is doing it I will share.

Seems not all the attacks are showing up in the threads.

It's been happening on and off for about a week now.

Sure' date=' if you are not trying to be a jerk then don't be one. It is just that easy.

You were not around when we asked for the Loungue...what you do not seem to grasp is that the tone of political threads bleeds into other threads and diverts time from more positive and useful inputs.

Buddy Light (named himself Bud Lite this time) post this morning had to be deleted immediately because of the offesive nature of the post. He was just trying to share his point of view you know?[/quote']

Can you please explain to me what was offensive or "jerky" about what I said? What you don't seem to understand is that you can ignore what you don't like. Does being around the forum longer than me, make you more of an "owner" of what gets talked about? I understand that bad feelings can bleed into other threads, apparently you have some bad feelings about me that are bleeding into this discussion. As I stated in my earlier post, and showed with the listing of posts from the past 12 days, I don't start political threads as a rule.

You said jerk.

That's alright, I will stay away from political, religious and similar threads. This one thread is about the Loungue and I am expressing my opinion.

I am no owner, did not claim to be. I am just giving you a bit of background since you haven't been around for long.

You do not have to take my input you know. I am just poking holes in the story that's all, your stats were incomplete, I took Statistics in College so that was just an objective observation.

It the divisive nature of some of the posts and lack of civility that ensues. It is OK to discuss politics, but not when it turns into name calling and mockery of other's beliefs.

In the past NEO and I had some spirited political conversations in this forum. But we always respected each other's views and we never let it get personal.

I think some folks here are more interested in politics than anything else. And I get that, but perhaps there is a better outlet for those discussions.

You said jerk.

That's alright' date=' I will stay away from political, religious and similar threads. This one thread is about the Loungue and I am expressing my opinion.

I am no owner, did not claim to be. I am just giving you a bit of background since you haven't been around for long.

You do not have to take my input you know. I am just poking holes in the story that's all, your stats were incomplete, I took Statistics in College so that was just an objective observation.[/quote']

I didn't understand what you meant when you said that the politics, etc., were bleeding over into other threads...I had to think about it for a couple of minutes...I understand what you meant now...It's weird how we don't all think alike, or understand things the same way. My "statistics" weren't meant to be conclusive, I didn't take the time to go back and read every post in every thread from the past 12 days...nor did I think to...that's why I only listed the thread titles. I've been around long enough to have seen lot's of threads that have gone over the cliff, I've spent quite a bit of time on the forums since 11/2008 and I lurked for a few months prior to joining, I've seen a lot of crap, I've participated in some to. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Archived