Gibson Brands Forums

Optimism...

Murph

I've got it.

I went to my cabin in the woods yesterday to do some mowing/maintenance and saw many people working in their yards. More garden tilling than normal. Spring is here and summer is around the corner.

I'm not caving in to the paranoia. I've got stuff to do.

• Like 3

Yeah, bring on summer. I've had it with winter, snow, the common cold, COVID, cancelled gigs, this oppressive paranoia (even if it is entirely justified) and all that crap. Give me sunshine and get me a case of beer.  Enough already. 

• Like 1

Yes!  The paranoia is pathetic.  The news folks keep feeding a 24/7 diet of fear to the public and many accept it with no questions.  It’s almost like Halloween when people have fun with being frightened.  Sadly, it’s not Halloween.  .........But, I’m just staying relaxed and mellow.  My wife and I make the store if needed.   Skype or Facetalk with the grandkids, cook on the grill, watch some TV, play with the dog, and late night and early morning I’ll play some guitar while I watch my N scale railroad.  Plus, the winery I play monthly is building a patio and bar-b-que pit for the summer.   There are too many things to look-forward-to to let myself get all down and depressed with the news.  Wherever and whatever your cabin in the woods is, spend as much time there as you can.   This bull crap will pass.👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Holy crap, Cougar. That's not a cabin. That's an empire...!

My cabin is 12 x 20 with a 12 x 8 porch. No water, no power. It is a great escape, though.

4 wheelers and campfires. And this stuff....

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Yes!  The paranoia is pathetic.  The news folks keep feeding a 24/7 diet of fear to the public and many accept it with no questions.  It’s almost like Halloween when people have fun with being frightened.  Sadly, it’s not Halloween.  .........But, I’m just staying relaxed and mellow.  My wife and I make the store if needed.   Skype or Facetalk with the grandkids, cook on the grill, watch some TV, play with the dog, and late night and early morning I’ll play some guitar while I watch my N scale railroad.  Plus, the winery I play monthly is building a patio and bar-b-que pit for the summer.   There are too many things to look-forward-to to let myself get all down and depressed with the news.  Wherever and whatever your cabin in the woods is, spend as much time there as you can.   This bull crap will pass.👍

The media vultures are disgusting. 

Like always, I suppose. And people still fork over their cash. 

• Like 1

And consider...

The stock market is trying to bounce back. The U.S. dollar is holding it's own, even after announcing massive giveaways. Gold hasn't topped it's record price yet, even during a pandemic...

Many business's are open and moving product, farmers are in the fields, gas is cheap, oil is plentiful.

And most people who get this virus recover. Nearly all in fact.

• Like 4

On 4/7/2020 at 7:23 AM, fortyearspickn said:

Murf,  Where's your banjo ?   

I have a Deering Goodtime. Made In U.S.A. I don't mess with it much, but should. I dig a banjo when it's done right. the lower tension sound is cool.

After I got the resonator, it very much took the back seat. And I still tinker with the old 1933 Gibson mandolin also.

• Like 2

I think things are going to be fine around here.  Another few weeks and we'll be through the worst of it.  I just pruned a bunch of our fig trees and they look like they'll be pretty healthy this year.  I still have 3 amp repairs that are just about finished and a custom build to work on.  No repairs coming in but that's fine.  Things will get back to normal.  Here's some Fender Pro Juniors - one of them is converted to 6V6 output tubes -

• Like 2

On 4/10/2020 at 5:36 AM, Murph said:

I have a Deering Goodtime. Made In U.S.A. I don't mess with it much, but should. I dig a banjo when it's done right. the lower tension sound is cool.

After I got the resonator, it very much took the back seat. And I still tinker with the old 1933 Gibson mandolin also.

This  'Lockdown'  has been a boon to my banjo: Plenty of time available to dabble in 5 strings when I get tired of 6 !   My problem is it weighs as much as my 3 guitars combined.   If the loudness is a problem - I'm sure you've considered it - but you can just take the resonator off - and/or play without finger picks.  Or, stuff an old sock in it!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

This  'Lockdown'  has been a boon to my banjo: Plenty of time available to dabble in 5 strings when I get tired of 6 !   My problem is it weighs as much as my 3 guitars combined.   If the loudness is a problem - I'm sure you've considered it - but you can just take the resonator off - and/or play without finger picks.  Or, stuff an old sock in it!

I'm using "a boon to my banjo" as a euphemism for the solitary vice from now on. 

• Haha 2

I should string up my banjo too during this. Mine has been sitting unstrung for at least 3 years. I watched a Billy Strings show last night on Nugs.tv and it made me wish I had the banjo to try and play along.  

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 10:16 AM, badbluesplayer said:

I think things are going to be fine around here.  Another few weeks and we'll be through the worst of it.  I just pruned a bunch of our fig trees and they look like they'll be pretty healthy this year.  I still have 3 amp repairs that are just about finished and a custom build to work on.  No repairs coming in but that's fine.  Things will get back to normal.  Here's some Fender Pro Juniors - one of them is converted to 6V6 output tubes -

Both sound great. But to me the 6V6 had a little more clarity. If that's the right word. [thumbup]

On 4/8/2020 at 5:40 AM, Murph said:

And consider...

The stock market is trying to bounce back. The U.S. dollar is holding it's own, even after announcing massive giveaways. Gold hasn't topped it's record price yet, even during a pandemic...

Many business's are open and moving product, farmers are in the fields, gas is cheap, oil is plentiful.

And most people who get this virus recover. Nearly all in fact.

You nailed it, Murf!  Sad that the news networks can’t get themselves to say it.  They thrive on the negative.......Anyway, us old dogs have been through the fire before.🦮

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

You nailed it, Murf!  Sad that the news networks can’t get themselves to say it.  They thrive on the negative.......Anyway, us old dogs have been through the fire before.🦮

So blatant -   "No Toilet Paper"   and  "Farmers Suffering" .     Sort of counter-intuitive.  Are we eating less but using more TP?    

Ironic isn't it....  I haven't played a steady gig in years other than helping out at church regularly. When this whole lockdown thing started in Florida, I decided to play some music on Friday evenings from the beach walkway toward the back balconies of the condo's where I work. Tomorrow night will be week 5 and you can't imagine the response! Flashlights waving from the balconies - folks greeting each other, waving across the complex at one another, a few on the lawns and on the main pool deck - all distanced of course! The coolest part isn't the music (although I like to humor myself that it is!) it's a text I got from one resident that is health challenged and alone. She wrote and told me that while the music was "beautiful" (she was being gratuitous!) it was more about hearing another voice and seeing other folks, neighbors and friends and knowing she wasn't alone. 

Also I have gained a thorough understanding of the difference between "captivating an audience" and a "captive audience"!  

Keep the faith!

Thanks for the post Murph!

• Like 2

Many States are opening up. About damned time.

Here in southern Il., we haven't closed much except bars, restaurants and churches. The Best Buy in Paducah Ky., across the river, is sorta open if you need tech.

Food and gas is plentiful still. All the lumber yards are rockin' because of the stimulus money, and there is more gardening going on than I've ever seen.