Gibson Brands Forums

Optimism...

Murph

Just to be clear on Remdesivir, the best available study so far shows a small, but statistically significant, benefit in recovery time but not mortality. 

The raw data did show a reduction of mortality from 11% to 8% but when subjected to statistical analysis it was not significant.  In other words, no clear benefit.

What that means from a practical standpoint is that the people who were going to recover anyway recovered a little faster and the ones who were going to die anyway still died.

Not so great.

I'm just trying to make it clear what the drug actually does and doesn't do.  It has nothing to do with how I feel.  If you don't understand that I would be more impressed by a drug that actually reduced mortality, then I don't know what to say.

• Like 1

I appreciate all sides of the issue. The one problem I have with the opening of non-essential businesses is the power of an employer to demand its employees work in a high risk, unsafe environment or face termination. Where is the power of the people in that?

2 minutes ago, zigzag said:

I appreciate all sides of the issue. The one problem I have with the opening of non-essential businesses is the power of an employer to demand its employees work in a high risk, unsafe environment or face termination. Where is the power of the people in that?

I completely understand that.  For anyone who is older and/or with underlying illness it's not a good choice to have to make.  Maybe they will have to make a choice not to work.  Right now there are many people who don't have a choice, they are being forced not to work.

8 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

As someone who is apparently a medical professional, I'm sure you are aware they could end up with a combination of 2 or more medications that actually get the job done.  Like "take a shot of this remdesivir, then take this nasal inhaler of 'drug b' along with some zinc".   But they can't do that if they don't approve things that work when they become available.  Can't make a very good case for waiting for something better at this time. 

Nothing you just said has anything to do with anything I've said about remdesivr.   Nothing is stopping anyone from doing combination drug studies regardless of what this study shows.  I also never said anyone should wait for something better.  All I pointed out was the actual results of the study.  The rest is just you making stuff up.

As with any topic these days, there are political implications... how government and private enterprise play into the everyday lives of regular people, and how we see the roles of all of the entities. The government has a role in protecting its citizenry, but where should the line be drawn in protection and intrusion? The real problem is that a pandemic is catastrophic, and like world war, a certain amount of self-sacrifice will certainly be required. All of the optimism in the world is not going to change the realities.  

Edited by zigzag
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, zigzag said:

As with any topic these days, there are political implications... how government and private enterprise play into the everyday lives of regular people, and how we see the roles of all of the entities. The government has a role in protecting its citizenry, but where should the line be drawn in protection and intrusion? The real problem is that a pandemic is catastrophic, and like world war, a certain amount of self-sacrifice will certainly be required. All of the optimism in the world is not going to change the realities.  

Bingo. But the death rate is dropping like a rock. Which is positive news and reason to get back to business. 

Just to mention opening up in parts of the Country, where there is little to zero death, causes widespread anger amongst one certain group of people.

Anger.

It's weird.

But, we've got this going our way now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Health officials here and around the world are predicting a second wave. Hope they're wrong.

I think that as soon as international travel starts up it will start over again, until everyone has had it and either recovered or died.

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

Health officials here and around the world are predicting a second wave. Hope they're wrong.

In the Northern Hemisphere there will be a lull over the summer.  Then there may be a "second wave" when the flu season starts up again.  But it most likely won't be anything like this was.  Too many people have already had it.

I suspect the Southern Hemisphere will likely have a big uptick when their Flu season starts which is basically now.

6 hours ago, Black Dog said:

I suspect the Southern Hemisphere will likely have a big uptick when their Flu season starts which is basically now.

In Covid? Well schools are recommencing and shops opening so it might well as kids are closer together and more people out and about.

we had predictions that we might have less impactful of a flu season down here this year due to people exercising better hygiene practices and staying home from school/work at the slightest of symptoms thus reducing spread. See what happens I guess.

2 hours ago, 'Scales said:

In Covid? Well schools are recommencing and shops opening so it might well as kids are closer together and more people out and about.

we had predictions that we might have less impactful of a flu season down here this year due to people exercising better hygiene practices and staying home from school/work at the slightest of symptoms thus reducing spread. See what happens I guess.

Yeah, based on how low the numbers are there it doesn't seem like it's quite run it's course yet.  I don't know how much testing you are actually getting done there so that may be an issue.  But, unless it has run through the population and there is large scale immunity I would expect it to surge when the conditions for respiratory viruses improve.  You make a good point that peoples behaviors are going to be different and that may change things a little but I think it's gonna just do it's thing.

2 hours ago, 'Scales said:

...on this, interestingly our Flu cases in Aust for the month of April were 229 nationally, compared to 18,705 last April according to the New Scientist. We may actually see less deaths from Covid+Flu this year than just for Flu alone last year it says. Hope so!

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2242113-australia-sees-huge-decrease-in-flu-cases-due-to-coronavirus-measures/

1 minute ago, 'Scales said:

...on this, interestingly our Flu cases in Aust for the month of April were 229 nationally, compared to 18,705 last April according to the New Scientist. We may actually see less deaths from Covid+Flu this year than just for Flu alone last year it says. Hope so!

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2242113-australia-sees-huge-decrease-in-flu-cases-due-to-coronavirus-measures/

It's uncharted territory.  We'll see what happens.

Just now, Black Dog said:

It's uncharted territory.  We'll see what happens.

well, they did include a chart. 😁

Our testing rate is about 10% higher than the US, but we just landed 10 million test kits and the necessary technical machines to administer them nationally which will be used for the balance of the year (versus 500k to date). Testing and tracing are a big part of the strategy - we certainly wouldn't have widespread immunity, but have bought the time and space to prepare adequate ICU, PPE, tests, Flu vax etc so that is the strategy here. Its strange how the 'expert community' in different countries informs different strategies. The hope would be that next time we might all employ strategies that have proved themselves after this pandemic is over. We can all do better I'm sure.

Some of North Myrtle Beach, SC opened up yesterday. Eating outside only. The old foggies are out in their golf carts in full force. And those bead-dazzelled Yeti mugs have 80 proof in them not Mtn. Dew. Yeah hear come the snowbirds and their diseases. Last weekend I started seeing rental property's with cars parked at them. If your in Walmart with a swimsuit on buying a North Myrtle Beach hoodie, your not form here.

We're playin' in a tent
It's payin the rent
If you pooch a civilian,
It's a major event
In France
Edited by Sgt. Pepper

And in the news on all the stations today -  "The Echo Chamber' is repeating as if it were fact  -  a newspaper publishing  an excerpt from a leaked internal document from either CDC or FEMA possibly developed in conjunction with a major teaching hospital, that we MIGHT see 3,000 deaths a day in a month or so.   This type of irresponsible reporting is pouring gasoline on the flames nurtured by politicians who relish the idea of a complete meltdown before November.  ZigZag was correct - in our society, EVERYTHING is political.  We've allowed big government to intrude too far into our lives - when a governor can declare it a crime  to hire a kid to cut your grass.  (I've not heard any cases where HOAs have suspended their 'laws'.)   Any dishonest politician has dozens of models he can pick from to support his narrative.   The big joke, on all of us, is that No One Knows  what the base number is:  "How many people have actually had Corona Virus and not been tested positive?"   Based on different studies - anywhere from 15-20% of us many have had it.  And, there is also no scientifically proved answer to the question of whether you can get it again. Or if children can spread it.  We don't know more than we do know -  ' ignorance' is where the media and politicians take advantage of us. Use to just be lead in our drinking water and forest fires. Now this conflagration. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

And in the news on all the stations today -  "The Echo Chamber' is repeating as if it were fact  -  a newspaper publishing  an excerpt from a leaked internal document from either CDC or FEMA possibly developed in conjunction with a major teaching hospital, that we MIGHT see 3,000 deaths a day in a month or so.   This type of irresponsible reporting is pouring gasoline on the flames nurtured by politicians who relish the idea of a complete meltdown before November.  ZigZag was correct - in our society, EVERYTHING is political.  We've allowed big government to intrude too far into our lives - when a governor can declare it a crime  to hire a kid to cut your grass.  (I've not heard any cases where HOAs have suspended their 'laws'.)   Any dishonest politician has dozens of models he can pick from to support his narrative.   The big joke, on all of us, is that No One Knows  what the base number is:  "How many people have actually had Corona Virus and not been tested positive?"   Based on different studies - anywhere from 15-20% of us many have had it.  And, there is also no scientifically proved answer to the question of whether you can get it again. Or if children can spread it.  We don't know more than we do know -  ' ignorance' is where the media and politicians take advantage of us. Use to just be lead in our drinking water and forest fires. Now this conflagration. 

I agree... 100%

I try to tell certain members of my family this very thing, and I literally get screamed at for being stupid, heartless and insensitive. 

"Experts say..""  what do they know, what if they are all just wrong?   which in fact, they've mostly been wrong with almost all the predictions.

The worse virus to hit this country was, is and shall forever be the main stream media.   Shut that down, and we'd be in much better shape.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I agree... 100%

I try to tell certain members of my family this very thing, and I literally get screamed at for being stupid, heartless and insensitive. 

"Experts say..""  what do they know, what if they are all just wrong?   which in fact, they've mostly been wrong with almost all the predictions.

The worse virus to hit this country was, is and shall forever be the main stream media.   Shut that down, and we'd be in much better shape.

+1 to that.

• Like 1