Gibson Brands Forums

2 hours ago, Murph said:

And Nascar will resume May 17th.

Never was a race guy, but I might have to check that out.

Me either, but here in the South one of the first questions you get asked is "who's your driver?"

5 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Just curious - where did you see that?  Or is that an assumption based on people going back to work?  Not being snarky, I want to know how to track GDP. 

The NewYork Times is reporting that The GDP is steadily growing, although more slowly than it was before the virus shutdown.  Easy to find if one looks for it.....  He didn’t make it up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissouriPicker said:

The NewYork Times is reporting that The GDP is steadily growing, although more slowly than it was before the virus shutdown.  Easy to find if one looks for it.....  He didn’t make it up.

The reason I asked is because when I search for an actual chart, all I can find is previous year's data.  Does anyone know if there an updated chart I can look at?   Came across this the other day: 

https://www.businessinsider.com/buffett-indicator-surges-record-high-signaling-potential-crash-2020-4

Went out to Wilco today and got some supplies.  Herbicides, plants for the garden, some fittings I needed for my sprayer.  Also stopped at my "water pump" shop and got 20 bags of salt.  Then hit the post office.

Everything seemed more normal than not.  Everyone social distanced (I was social distancing before social distancing was cool).  But, people circulated freely.  People are getting it.  We'll be done with this soon. 

Over 25% of the Illinois corn crop is in the ground. It would be more had it not been so wet.

The ag biz is rockin'...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Murph said:

Over 25% of the Illinois corn crop is in the ground. It would be more had it not been so wet.

The ag biz is rockin'...

Yes.  They were getting bailed out long before the current round of Farmer Welfare Queen bailout they are about to get.  Makes the auto industry look like shoplifters.  They'll get bailed to plant this load, plow it under or burn it, and get bailed next year again.  

rct

They guy who robbed the store. It was he guy with the mask on.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, rct said:

Yes.  They were getting bailed out long before the current round of Farmer Welfare Queen bailout they are about to get.  Makes the auto industry look like shoplifters.  They'll get bailed to plant this load, plow it under or burn it, and get bailed next year again.  

rct

When you're b!tching about American farmers, be sure you're not doing it with your mouth full...

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Murph said:

When you're b!tching about American farmers, be sure you're not doing it with your mouth full...

+1 

40 minutes ago, Murph said:

The price of putting crop in these days they need every penny of it. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

The price of putting crop in these days they need every penny of it. 

Knowing nothing about farming  please excuse my ignorance. Are you planting what the current market wants or planting  something for international sales  in the hopes that the tariffs will end.  If the tariffs don't end what happens. Is there such a thing as tariff insurance? I know they have it for bugs, blight, drought, flood.  Do the buyers tell you what their expected needs are for the year? Is it done by a quota  or contract of some type or just what you think will bring the most profit?  How do you know how much and of what to plant?  As far as the bailouts, the last one i didn't have a problem with. The rug was pulled out from underneath you. This round i'm on the fence with.  No argument or anything like that just curious.  If it is known that there is no market for something do you plant it anyway in the hopes things will change?  If soybeans took a dump and the demand and price dropped by two thirds,  and the current situation hasn't changed, do you plant soybeans again the next year?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Murph said:

Cargill.  Archer Daniels Midland.  Monsanto.  Bayer.  That's just a few of the monster corporations.  You think they are NOT getting food here?  They are.  It's called Agri-Business for a reason.  They'll be just fine.

rct

• Like 1

California Counties defy the Newsom Kremlin and are opening up. Some including bars and gyms.

https://www.politico.com/states/california/story/2020/05/01/2-more-california-counties-set-to-defy-newsom-lockdown-as-pressure-builds-1281747

Makes me proud to be an American. These Governors are grabbing far more power than they actually have.

Push back...

• Like 1

Newsome declared that California was a 'Nation State' a few weeks ago. He, and his predecessors, have been trying to create  a contra-country for decades.  Why do we -  in the other 49 states have to see  warning labels about "Complies With California Codes"  on mattresses, cars, guns and even simple, unpainted wood decorations in Hobby Lobby (made in China) ?  We have to pay extra so all these codes can be complied with. Either the company makes two different products, or 'dumbs down' the one we all get.  It started with them having their own "Fire Safety Codes" then they moved to autos.   On the flip side, of course, they ignore any Federal Laws they disagree with.    When this Virus first got notice in the media - the pack of governors who follow Newsome's lead prepared their own version of "Shock and Awe", and as soon as the NBA cancelled their season, and San Francisco ordered 'Shelter In Place' (which soon became "Lockdown") for itself and all surrounding counties - these governors  jumped on the 'Let No Good Crisis Go To Waste'  bandwagon.   Push them back, way back. 

• Like 2

Just to be clear on Remdesivir, the best available study so far shows a small, but statistically significant, benefit in recovery time but not mortality. 

The raw data did show a reduction of mortality from 11% to 8% but when subjected to statistical analysis it was not significant.  In other words, no clear benefit.

What that means from a practical standpoint is that the people who were going to recover anyway recovered a little faster and the ones who were going to die anyway still died.

Not so great.

It gets people out of the hospital faster.  If you don't think that's great, I don't understand your perspective but you are certainly entitled to feel that way. 

I'm just trying to make it clear what the drug actually does and doesn't do.  It has nothing to do with how I feel.  If you don't understand that I would be more impressed by a drug that actually reduced mortality, then I don't know what to say.

• Like 1

I appreciate all sides of the issue. The one problem I have with the opening of non-essential businesses is the power of an employer to demand its employees work in a high risk, unsafe environment or face termination. Where is the power of the people in that?

As someone who is apparently a medical professional, I'm sure you are aware they could end up with a combination of 2 or more medications that actually get the job done.  Like "take a shot of this remdesivir, then take this nasal inhaler of 'drug b' along with some zinc".   But they can't do that if they don't approve things that work when they become available.  Can't make a very good case for waiting for something better at this time. 

2 minutes ago, zigzag said:

I appreciate all sides of the issue. The one problem I have with the opening of non-essential businesses is the power of an employer to demand its employees work in a high risk, unsafe environment or face termination. Where is the power of the people in that?

I completely understand that.  For anyone who is older and/or with underlying illness it's not a good choice to have to make.  Maybe they will have to make a choice not to work.  Right now there are many people who don't have a choice, they are being forced not to work.

8 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

As someone who is apparently a medical professional, I'm sure you are aware they could end up with a combination of 2 or more medications that actually get the job done.  Like "take a shot of this remdesivir, then take this nasal inhaler of 'drug b' along with some zinc".   But they can't do that if they don't approve things that work when they become available.  Can't make a very good case for waiting for something better at this time. 

Nothing you just said has anything to do with anything I've said about remdesivr.   Nothing is stopping anyone from doing combination drug studies regardless of what this study shows.  I also never said anyone should wait for something better.  All I pointed out was the actual results of the study.  The rest is just you making stuff up.