Gibson Brands Forums

Historic Glitch

JuanCarlosVejar

53 minutes ago, j45nick said:

Yes, it is.

You wonder if there is anyone there with a real awareness of Gibson history. How can they get most things right on a guitar, and other things glaringly wrong?

But they do, every single day, it seems.

Gibson have the new Glitch Department.....😠

BluesKing777.

31 minutes ago, Brucebubs said:

Is it a new 2020 Historic? It's listed as a 'Vintage' model not a 'Historic'.

Either way, you're right and it's wrong.

Well it says NEW , Jim sometimes doesn’t label stuff with 100 percent accuracy.

But if you count the frets they are 19 frets total like the current historics.

Either that or it’s a custom and he hasn’t specified it.

JC

Edited by JuanCarlosVejar

Don't know anything about that guitar, but this gave me a good laugh at the southpaw website

"Security Policy: All pages and transactions are protected with Comodo Positive SSL Encryption."

There's nothing wrong with the Comodo SSL certificate, but it's basically the bottom of the ladder where you don't need to provide any documentation that proves you're who you say you are. And it costs something like $6/year, so not really something to brag about. It's the digital equivalent of bragging about the security of your parking lot because a retired cop drives by once a month. 😂

I'm sure this is a good company, not trying to cast any doubts about that. But this just isn't something that I've ever seen anyone make a big deal about on their site. When you see the padlock in the address bar of your browser, most people will just assume the site is safe. Just like most people would assume the parking lot is safe in my example. 

Edited by Boyd

13 hours ago, JuanCarlosVejar said:

Someone at the factory put a banner logo on this historic J 35 at Southpaws:

And this matters because......?   It's a guitar, a tool for making music.  Does it sound right.......play right.......feel right?  That's all that really matters, isn't it?  Someone will think so, buy the guitar and be happy as a clam about it, cosmetics be damned.  Tradition sometimes stands in the way of progress, yes?

Edited by Buc McMaster

. . . and sometimes Gibson has a tradition of mixing features from different eras. No harm, no foul. They've got our number- if we want them to accurately recreate a model, we'd best buy a True Vintage, a Vintage, or ... gulp... one of the Legend models?

29 minutes ago, Buc McMaster said:

.....?   It's a guitar, a tool for making music.  Does it sound right.......play right.......feel right?  That's all that really matters, isn't it?

Agree. but careful, there, though- it's a glass house- lest we go changing or removing pickguards, etc.

1 hour ago, Buc McMaster said:

And this matters because......?   It's a guitar, a tool for making music.  Does it sound right.......play right.......feel right?  That's all that really matters, isn't it?  Someone will think so, buy the guitar and be happy as a clam about it, cosmetics be damned.  Tradition sometimes stands in the way of progress, yes?

Well,

I never said it mattered or took away from the guitar , what I am saying is if indeed it is a historic ( it says NEW in the description) it’s typical Gibson funny business with the features.

So you’ve got the wrong idea if you think I’m pointing this out as a flaw . As others have observed it might not be a historic , So I could be totally wrong but it does say it’s a new item.

I haven’t ordered anything from this historic line yet. But I am thinking about it .

The Original series is more in line with what I like ... (non torrified wood) but you never know.

JC

1 hour ago, 75 Hummingbird said:

Wow it`s priced very reasonably , and they were producing j 35`s in the  banner era ...1942 .

I think it`s awesome,very nice option for a left hand market that is treated sub par most times . 

The Banner Gibson registry lists several "transition" J-35s and L-0/00s--"transition" meaning overlapping the earliest banner guitars in production sequence in 1942. However, all those J-35 and L-0 versions have the pre-war white stenciled logo, not the banner logo.

Interestingly, there is also one J-45 (no FON) listed with the pre-war, white stenciled logo.

33 minutes ago, 75 Hummingbird said:

4 inch sound hole ,black nut ,2 tone bar  ,french heel.

I'm only going by the FON, since I don't know the history of that model. The characteristics you describe are typical of Gibson flat tops in the late 1930's up to the beginning of the banner era, as far as I can tell. Others here have far better knowledge of the history of individual models than I do.

It is really not Gibson weirdness.  If anything it is quite normal for Bozeman.  But they do describe their take on a '36 J35 as "vintage inspired" and not as a spot on reproduction of a guitar from a  past catalog.

Edited by zombywoof