Gibson Brands Forums

Albums you haven't heard in a while that are great.

Tman

I usually start a thread for selfish reasons - I want to learn something. Usually it's either something technical which I am typically bad at or I want to find out what it is that you guys like as far as guitar related things. Along the latter I want to see if you've been listening to things you haven't heard in a while because you can.  In the last week I've taken a walk to get some exercise (yes with a mask and yes keeping my distance from other people) everyday. I've listened to the following that I haven't heard in a long time. Albums included: Johnny Winter - Still Alive and Well,  Stones - It's Only Rock and Roll and Goat's Head Soup (damn some great sh!t there),  Stevie Winwood - Back in the Highlife,  Peter Gabriel - So,  John Hiatt - Bring the Family,  Yes - Tormato........To name a few.

Damn, love them all. I've got plenty more to reacquaint with. Some songs like the Stones "Winter" could have been written about what we are all going through right now.

What have you listened to during these times and what's your (renewed) impression of them?

29 minutes ago, Tman said:

Stones - It's Only Rock and Roll and Goat's Head Soup (damn some great sh!t there)

Yes - Tormato........To name a few.

What have you listened to during these times and what's your (renewed) impression of them?

Tormato had a few great songs on it. Silent Wings, Whale, and Future Times / Rejoice. Yes were burned to a crisp.  Drama was the last gasp. Goat's Head has some great stuff.  Angie, Dancing With Mr. D., Heatbreaker (Do Do Do Do Do), Winter, 100 Years Ago, Can You Hear The Music, and Star Star (aka Fuker).

Listed to Elvis Costello - Imperial Bedroom.

12 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Tormato had a few great songs on it. Silent Wings, Whale, and Future Times / Rejoice. Yes were burned to a crisp.  Drama was the last gasp. Goat's Head has some great stuff.  Angie, Dancing With Mr. D., Heatbreaker (Do Do Do Do Do), Winter, 100 Years Ago, Can You Hear The Music, and Star Star (aka Fuker).

Listed to Elvis Costello - Imperial Bedroom.

I remember back in the day when I was more naive than I am today (not saying much) I somehow had a music book of Goat's Head soup where I guess I was trying to learn some songs the old fashioned way by looking at the chords (I can't read music per se). I looked at Star Star and words were "She's a star bucker, star bucker. star...." Believe it or not I thought those were the words for years. Finally figured it out when I listened to all of the words, especially the part about keepin the cat clean.

Going to listen to Elvis tomorrow, great choice.

34 minutes ago, Tman said:

. I looked at Star Star and words were "She's a star bucker, star bucker. star...." Believe it or not I thought those were the words for years. Finally figured it out when I listened to all of the words, especially the part about keepin the cat clean.

I would deeply enjoy seeing a major coffee shop proprietor pick that up for their advertising campaigns - Stones fans everywhere would be grinning mischievously !

Physical Graffiti ...for long walks. 

Well, there's Computer World by Kraftwerk, Stillwater's self - titled first record (the one with Mind Bender on it but, the rest is great Southern rock!), Pat Metheny's Bright Size Life (Jaco was SO good!), Red by King Crimson, Bill Bruford's One of a Kind and U.K.'s first one (Allan Holdsworth, John Wetton, Bill Bruford and Eddie Jobson!), also the first Producers record (What's He Got?). Oh, and Business as Usual by Men at Work.

5 hours ago, kelly campbell said:

but everyones taste is different.

The exact reason for this thread!  Gotta queue up Harrison. All things has appeared at various times in my life. Time for a listen

4 hours ago, 'Scales said:

I would deeply enjoy seeing a major coffee shop proprietor pick that up for their advertising campaigns - Stones fans everywhere would be grinning mischievously !

Physical Graffiti ...for long walks. 

Another great one for a long walk.

1 hour ago, G Mac said:

Well, there's Computer World by Kraftwerk, Stillwater's self - titled first record (the one with Mind Bender on it but, the rest is great Southern rock!), Pat Metheny's Bright Size Life (Jaco was SO good!), Red by King Crimson, Bill Bruford's One of a Kind and U.K.'s first one (Allan Holdsworth, John Wetton, Bill Bruford and Eddie Jobson!), also the first Producers record (What's He Got?). Oh, and Business as Usual by Men at Work.

I'll give them all a listen. Heard Men at Work back in the day, love it. I learn with this list.

• Like 1

I recently got the 50th Anniv. Set by The Beatles.... Abbey Road as a gift from my Kids..

I was skeptical about yet another Remixed & Remastered version... My skepticism dissolved when I heard it.. It's an amazing Album & this new Remix Remaster is Sonic Bliss! Especially with good Headphones!!! 

Prompted by Sgt Pepper, I located Uncle Meat (Zappa-Mothers) on Spotify and listened to the whole thing. It was excellent music of course but I forgot how much talk was on it.

Back in the day listening on vinyl as a 17 year old I didn't understand much of it. The references to being 'hot' utterly confused me. I used to wonder 'how come everyone is getting hot?' It seems obvious now, but we didn't have the cultural closeness then so much.

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Nothing like a Dead show. Saw them together in 85 or 86. Dead many times. Dylan 3 times.

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Nothing like a Dead show. Saw them together in 85 or 86. Dead many times. Dylan 3 times.

Never saw Dylan. Followed the Dead  74 - 78 Like 20 + shows all very memorable

Edited by labomba

23 hours ago, kidblast said:

May be strange to say  but I punch up Every Picture Tells A Story by Rod Stewart on spotify one weekend when the wife and I were headed to the coast of Maine for a few days.

Not strange at all. Rod's early solo stuff was great. Gasoline Alley is high on my list as well. He was very acoustic in those days.

Gillian Welch; Soul Journey

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Murph said:

Not strange at all. Rod's early solo stuff was great. Gasoline Alley is high on my list as well. He was very acoustic in those days.

Gillian Welch; Soul Journey

yea, agree Murph,  When my wife and I met in 73, we both had modest record collections, that was one we both had.  It was a double shot of nostalgia driving up to Maine listening to that.

8 hours ago, labomba said:

Never saw Dylan. Followed the Dead  74 - 78 Like 20 + shows all very memorable

I lived in the Bay Area for about 25 years, they came to me, especially since they also lived there.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Also -

"Clear Spot" - Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band

"Mighty Rearranger" - Robert Plant

"Black Market" - Weather Report

"Bringing It All Back Home" - Dylan

"Blues From Laurel Canyon" - John Mayall

...so many more.....

Edited by jdgm

19 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I lived in the Bay Area for about 25 years, they came to me, especially since they also lived there.

Yeah, me too.  Considering I saw just about everybody else, it is almost a  bit odd that I never saw the Dead.   I wanted to even besides the fact I was not a big fan of them.  I regret not seeing them just once considering my access to them -- they were effectively my neighbors after all (LOL).  Not a Zappa fan at all ... no regret there at all; you can keep it.

As for those long lost musical gems, I agree with the OP on the Stones.  Everything from '69 (Let It Bleed) to 1974 was really amazing. ... what a run of musical greatness.  

But how about some love for Blue Oyster Cult?  What a great band ... I was just listening to this ...

R-2149142-1498123623-7766.jpeg.jpg

Edited by 01GT eibach
  • Like 2