Gibson Brands Forums

Albums you haven't heard in a while that are great.

Tman

5 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

Yeah, me too.  Considering I saw just about everybody else, it is almost a  bit odd that I never saw the Dead.   I wanted to even besides the fact I was not a big fan of them.  I regret not seeing them just once considering my access to them -- they were effectively my neighbors after all (LOL).  Not a Zappa fan at all ... no regret there at all; you can keep it.

As for those long lost musical gems, I agree with the OP on the Stones.  Everything from '69 (Let It Bleed) to 1974 was really amazing. ... what a run of musical greatness.  

But how about some love for Blue Oyster Cult?  What a great band ... I was just listening to this ...

R-2149142-1498123623-7766.jpeg.jpg

My favorite BOC album!

I listened to 'Crossroads' the movie soundtrack again recently. I've had the album since the 80s, but acquired it again with the Ry Cooder Soundtracks 7CD box collection. 

Other than Crossroads, the listen I've enjoyed most is 'Music From Alamo Bay'. I couldn't help playing along with the rockier tracks.

· The Long Riders (1980)
· Music From Alamo Bay (1985)
· Paris, Texas (1985)
· Blue City (1986)
· Crossroads (1986)
· Johnny Handsome (1989)
· Trespass (1993)

6 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

Yeah, me too.  Considering I saw just about everybody else, it is almost a  bit odd that I never saw the Dead.   I wanted to even besides the fact I was not a big fan of them.  I regret not seeing them just once considering my access to them -- they were effectively my neighbors after all (LOL).  Not a Zappa fan at all ... no regret there at all; you can keep it.

As for those long lost musical gems, I agree with the OP on the Stones.  Everything from '69 (Let It Bleed) to 1974 was really amazing. ... what a run of musical greatness.  

But how about some love for Blue Oyster Cult?  What a great band ... I was just listening to this ...

R-2149142-1498123623-7766.jpeg.jpg

B.Ö.C. started to get silly around that time, at least for me. I've seen 'em twice (in Santa Cruz with Montrose and in Washington State with Foghat). A lot of filler on Spectres and Agents and most assuredly the stuff after. I like Secret Treaties the best. Thanks Metallica for covering Astronomy and Metallica-izing it AKA destroying it. The Stones from Beggars to Goats was there best stuff (mostly before that it was just them redoing Blues songs and throwing in one or two of theirs), but they are atrocious live. The Stones are the worlds most famous garage band, IMO.

Yeah Zappa isn't for everyone. The Dead too.

I'm still trying to figure out why people like Jimmy Buffett. Does everything need to rhyme Jimmy? Stepped on a pop top - Blew out my Flip Flop. Genius.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I've just rediscovered Rory Gallagher's Live in Europe. His live stuff is insane.

I've been rediscovering John Mayall's Turning Point a lot lately, and Grant Green's Green Street.

Edited by zigzag

King Crimson - "Discipline"

Moody Blues - "In Search Of The Lost Chord"

Stevie Wonder - "Hotter Than July"

Steve Winwood - 1st solo LP and "Arc Of A Diver"

Jack Bruce - "Songs For A Tailor"

Allman Bros - "Brothers and Sisters"

Larry Coryell - "Spaces" and "Fairyland"

21 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I listened to 'Crossroads' the movie soundtrack again recently. I've had the album since the 80s, but acquired it again with the Ry Cooder Soundtracks 7CD box collection. 

Other than Crossroads, the listen I've enjoyed most is 'Music From Alamo Bay'. I couldn't help playing along with the rockier tracks.

· The Long Riders (1980)
· Music From Alamo Bay (1985)
· Paris, Texas (1985)
· Blue City (1986)
· Crossroads (1986)
· Johnny Handsome (1989)
· Trespass (1993)

I still have "Alamo Bay" and "Blue City" on LP - used to have 'em all up to and including "Crossroads" on LP and "Johnny Handsome" on CD.   I haven't heard "Trespass".

And the Soundtracks box omits "The Border" - released on MCA - which is Cooder, Dickinson, Hiatt, Keltner et al in excelsis.....a great album in its own right.

He never released any of the incidental music from "Southern Comfort"  until a short segment turned up on the 2CD anthology assembled by his son Joachim some years ago.

I have about 3 mins of it - probably the same segment - on an old cassette somewhere, which I recorded off BBC Radio London back in the day. 

The Border - Jack Nicholson in his prime, very good film;  a Texas border patrolman vs immigrant smugglers.  1981!

Paris, Texas - great beginning but after that - what a crap movie. 

Long Riders was good but all a bit too neat, tidy and well-mannered I thought.  How did they stay so clean?  By the end I was glad Stacy Keach got shot as he was so  boring!

Crossroads - you had to see it...a good laugh, very silly and pure Hollywood.   Arlen Roth felt he never got enough credit for his contribution.

Southern Comfort -  well acted, unpleasant and unbelievable.  Are they really that stupid?

The other famous film he contributed to is (of course) "Performance",  much earlier and a classic.   He does not discuss his collaboration with the Stones.

"Mambo Sinuendo" with Manuel Galban is one of Cooder's very best and most musically successful projects IMO.  The US govt. fined him for recording in Cuba with Cubans.

Edited by jdgm
  • Thanks 1

I haven't heard a lot of what has been mentioned. Today I downloaded Gillian Welch, Joe Walsh, Rory Gallagher, and Captain Beefheart. Down to 60% work and am working tomorrow but will walk and listen beforehand. Then download some more stuff Sunday. Great suggestions on this thread.

2 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous

Funny, I was just about to call out the guitar-slinging Thin Lizzy ...  awesome.

Someone else mentioned fellow Irish mafia member Rory Gallagher.  I recently discovered "Notes from San Francisco" which is (side 1) an album he came to San Francisco to record but never released, and (side 2) a live set from his time in San Francisco.  Very cool stuff.

180?cb=20170311153933

I mostly listen to live Grateful Dead recordings. I've been listening to May '77 (a Tuscaloosa show), Pacific Northwest '73 - '74 (one from Portland or Vancouver) and Europe '72 (the individual concerts Rhino Records put out).  I think I listened to the one from Paris or London.

The Dead in the early to mid 70's were never better.  I didn't get to see them till 1985. Jack Straw was the first Dead song I heard live.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

When I need to reboot, my go to is the Chicago Transit Authority. All the way through and in order.

CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY
Track Listing:

LP Side Splits

Side One
1. “Introduction”
2. “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?”
3. “Beginnings”

Side Two
1. “Questions 67 And 68”
2. “Listen”
3. “Poem 58”

Side Three
1. “Free Form Guitar”
2. “South California Purples”
3. “I’m A Man”

Side Four
1. “Prologue, August 29, 1968”
2. “Someday (August 29, 1968)”
3. “Liberation”

They have a 50th Anniversary re-mix on their website:

https://chicagotheband.com/news/chicago-transit-authority-50th-anniversary-remix/

CTA-Album-Cover-Art-2.jpg

1 hour ago, DanDBassist said:

When I need to reboot, my go to is the Chicago Transit Authority. All the way through and in order.

CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY
Track Listing:

LP Side Splits

Side One
1. “Introduction”
2. “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?”
3. “Beginnings”

Side Two
1. “Questions 67 And 68”
2. “Listen”
3. “Poem 58”

Side Three
1. “Free Form Guitar”
2. “South California Purples”
3. “I’m A Man”

Side Four
1. “Prologue, August 29, 1968”
2. “Someday (August 29, 1968)”
3. “Liberation”

They have a 50th Anniversary re-mix on their website:

https://chicagotheband.com/news/chicago-transit-authority-50th-anniversary-remix/

CTA-Album-Cover-Art-2.jpg

That is a good one, Chicago II as its called it killer to. Up to about V or VI they were still killing it. Then the 80's and a lot of Coc and Peter tuning them into a ballad band. Saw them in '92 open for the Moody Blues.  Chicago had some of the Tower Of Power horn section play with them.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Doing this work at home/quarantine thing has made me realize that I needed some "new" albums so I've got a bunch of 180 gram ones coming:

The Who (first album), Live at Leeds, Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy and their latest release 

The Rolling Stones Hot Rocks, Through The Past Darkly, Their Satanic Majesties Request and Beggar's Banquet.

That should keep me going for a bit.

On 4/12/2020 at 5:42 PM, SteveFord said:

Doing this work at home/quarantine thing has made me realize that I needed some "new" albums so I've got a bunch of 180 gram ones coming:

The Who (first album), Live at Leeds, Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy and their latest release 

The Rolling Stones Hot Rocks, Through The Past Darkly, Their Satanic Majesties Request and Beggar's Banquet.

That should keep me going for a bit.

Enjoy The Stones ripped on LSD. Last time I tried to listen to Majesties Request, I couldn't make it past 3 songs. Beggars is one of their best. Once I get the 180 g FZ's, I'm gonna start to get the Rush on 180 g. I'll get 2112 through Pictures. I've been wanting Beggars and Let It Bleed on 180 g.

There's been some licorice pizza listed here. 

I've got two recent editions I'd like to submit for your listening pleasure.

Buddy Guy's, "The Blues is Alive and Well."  Fantastic album.

Walter Trout's, "We're All in This Together." Lots of compilation work here. Good bunch of guest musicians.