Gibson Brands Forums

Albums you haven't heard in a while that are great.

Tman

I was a die-hard runner for many years, until my hips and knees wouldn't allow me that particular pleasure anymore. 

Took up lap swimming thereafter, and I have been in the pool, every other morning, for over eight years now. 

Naturally, all the local pools are closed because of this virus nonsense, and so I had to figure out a new plan to get my cardio. 
Treadmills and elliptical machines are unsatisfactory, so I settled on a nice rowing machine. 

Now I get on the rowing machine every other day, and do 30 hard minutes of that, followed by a few minutes of curls, and then six minutes on the chi machine. 

What does this have to do with old albums you may ask?
Well, I'll tell you. 

I would go insane in the workout room without some sort of entertainment, and I don't watch television, so rigged an old stereo system in there, and I play old CD's while I get my cardio. Every album is generally guaranteed to go for 40 minutes or so, so it works out really well. 

My favorite re-visits during such workouts include:

Alice Cooper - Goes To Hell, Mascara & Monsters
Jeff Lynne - Armchair Theater
Adrian Belew - Mr Music Head
David Bowie - Heathen
Edgar Winter - Mission Earth
Daryl Hall - Laughing Down Crying
Metallica - Load, Reload
and many others. 

I can't wait to get back into the swimming pool, quite honestly. 

🙄

n68aBXVCe7ELbR96hh2JvqYXA0OZzJYyKyim11p2

Fleetwood Mac - Rumors...  heard a couple songs from the album and really reminded me how good that one was.

Sparq...  I love to put an artist into Pandora and have it build a playlist for me while I'm on the eliptical.  Have been introduced to more than one new artist, along with the different tempos of the songs changes up the excercies cadence.

2 hours ago, uncle fester said:

Fleetwood Mac - Rumors...  heard a couple songs from the album and really reminded me how good that one was.

Sparq...  I love to put an artist into Pandora and have it build a playlist for me while I'm on the eliptical.  Have been introduced to more than one new artist, along with the different tempos of the songs changes up the excercies cadence.

Yes, thanks for that, uncle fester. 
I had forgotten about Pandora. 
That's a good idea, sir. 

And Fleetwood Mac's Rumors, there's a classic for you. 

We went and watched The Black Jacket Symphony perform the entire Rumors album a few years ago. 
So good!!
:)

1 hour ago, 01GT eibach said:

Jane's Addiction  Kettle Whistle ... I haven't listen to them in a while.   They still sound so fresh ...  

Jane's_Addiction-Kettle_Wistle.jpg

I saw them on the Nothing's Shocking Tour in Chicago when I was a squid. Great show.  After Ritual, I got tired of them. Been Caught Stealing was way overplayed. Stop did a little too, and those of course are the worst songs on the album.

All such good stuff! Sparky one of my favs is one you mentioned atet a lot of folks haven't heard. I heard it 2 days ago. Jeff Lynne - Armchair Theater

Well my wife and I have been trying to exercise the last 3 days. I typically walk around Westlake but she's wanted to go with me and she doesn't like Westlake, she likes to hike on trails. I wanted her to go with me so we tried some interesting variations. The backbone trail is closed. We went through our neighbors private property entrance (with permission) and as soon as we hit county trail, we got busted. The ranger couldn't have been nicer but that's the end of that. Then we tried a part of Mulholland (Tom Petty - Free Falling) that has been closed after the fire. Going great and our one very friendly dog was off leash and a guy came hauling arse down the hill and got completely pissed off because he was off leash. My wife was aghast. There are signs everywhere that say at your own risk bikes and walkers and the road is closed. I said to him, "Hey the rules don't apply to you? You were going way faster than 15 mph and our dog is not a threat." Then I said ferk off". Actually made me feel better and my wife loved it so hey, juvenile aggression paid off.

I listened to Brian Eno - Another Green World. Fripp plays some amazing guitar on it. He did (and still does) great stuff with Crimson, but when he is a guest on an album he makes it count.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

GIANT  -  Buddy Holly. 

Not a bad song on it. 

Love Is Strange
Good Rockin Tonight
Blue Monday
Have You Ever Been Lonely (Have You Ever Been Blue)
Slippin And Slidin
Youre The One
(Ummm Oh Yeah) Dearest
Smokey Joes Cafe
Aint Got No Home
Holly Hop
Edited by RoyC

1 hour ago, brad1 said:

It's their EP album. Chronic Town.  Most have not heard it. It is very good.

I love the first 5 R.E.M.  albums. After that I stopped buying.

A blue gargoyle with its tongue stuck out

Life's Rich Pageant was my last hurrah with them.  Then it was the end of the band as we know it, and they made a string of k-rappy albums and got into the Rock Hall Of Fame.  Does any one, even Stipe know what the lyric are on REM albums?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

39 minutes ago, Tman said:

Queen Sheer Heart attack today's walk.

That's a good one. 

I always thought it was funny how the song Sheer Heart Attack is not on the Sheer  Heart Attack Album. 

Its on News of the World 

On 4/28/2020 at 12:03 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I listened to Brian Eno - Another Green World. Fripp plays some amazing guitar on it. He did (and still does) great stuff with Crimson, but when he is a guest on an album he makes it count.

Fripp did some work on a track of the Porcupine Tree album 'Fear Of A Blank Planet' which I'm guessing  is how he met PT founder Steven Wilson.

He must have been mighty impressed with Wilson's production and engineering skills to hand him the entire King Crimson catalogue to re-master/re-mix.

Alex Lifeson from Rush also makes a guest appearance on that same album.

Edited by Brucebubs

21 hours ago, brad1 said:

That's a good one. 

I always thought it was funny how the song Sheer Heart Attack is not on the Sheer  Heart Attack Album. 

Its on News of the World 

Houses Of The Holy is on Physical Graffiti, not HOTH.

51 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Wizard

That is a good Todd album.  Lotta people hate it. Took me a while to get into it. I'm still trying to sort out Todd. Maybe it should have been a single. Saw him a few years back. Kasim was in the band.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That is a good Todd album.  Lotta people hate it. Took me a while to get into it. I'm still trying to sort out Todd. Maybe it should have been a single. Saw him a few years back. Kasim was in the band.

This was done back in the day when it was common to put on an LP and let it play through. Wizard was Todd  by himself in his studio playing all instruments and the album was non stop, every song flowing into the next. Not part of a band at the time, when he performed it was a one man show, with him live playing pre-recorded tracks, his next band was Utopia.

2 hours ago, mihcmac said:

This was done back in the day when it was common to put on an LP and let it play through. Wizard was Todd  by himself in his studio playing all instruments and the album was non stop, every song flowing into the next. Not part of a band at the time, when he performed it was a one man show, with him live playing pre-recorded tracks, his next band was Utopia.

I love Oppps....Wrong Planet?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Last night I listened to Richard Thompson - Mock Tudor and a few days before R & L Thompson - Shoot Out The Lights.

I used to have "Shoot Out The Lights"....good one....going to add that to my Spotify list now [thumbup]