Gibson Brands Forums

50th Anniversary 57 Reissue All Gold GoldTop

DK33

I was hoping to learn more about the 2007 50th Anniversary all gold Gold Tops that were made.

What I currently know is -

there was only 157 made as Customs with a "C" starting the serial #

there was only 157 made as Standards with a "S" starting the serial #

It appears the Customs had Ebony fretboards and the Standards had Rosewood

Aside from that I cant really find a demo videos or specs on pickups / 

How close they are to original specs

Do they sound good etc

Thanks

• 10 months later...

1B8D88E2-2648-43A0-8D8F-D95FAD59491A.thumb.jpeg.15326f537341958941a3a28e897fad7b.jpeg1B8D88E2-2648-43A0-8D8F-D95FAD59491A.thumb.jpeg.15326f537341958941a3a28e897fad7b.jpegThanks for the reply- I did end up buying actually 3  of them as they are somewhat collectible in my opinion due to limited # of production 

I bought the Custom model - I personally think they play and sound really nice 

they are nice and heavy as well 

I have no idea how they compare to the sound of a 1957 but that’s not why I bought them anyway 

I m stoked in the guitars 

please let us know what you think when you get yours 

Edited by DK33
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bluesmanguitars said:

DK33 what do you estimate the value on the Custom at? I see many Standards and they are all over the board. Thanks Vincent BMG

I’m no expert and yes they are all over the board - it appears that they can be purchased between 6-9k 

i see those others in reverb for 12-15 but they have been listed for years 

killer guitars in my opinion 

The '57 Reissue showed up about two days back, it is one of the best modern era guitars I have ever played. The neck is literally to die for, and whatever frets they used, they must have been made in heaven. I am doing a few changes just on the plastics and I will post a pick!

Edited by bluesmanguitars
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Philsr57 said:

I (HONESTLY) own 3 of these Limited models; 2 are the Custom and 1 is the Standard.

My 2 Customs have back to back Serial Numbers which is cool - They are brothers... I was pleased when I realized that fact................

I will take pictures of the three of mine together in a day or so and post them for your pleasure.

Yes please.  That would make this one of 2021s most excellent threads so far.

2 adjacent serial numbers?   That's the ultimate.  Very envious.  [cool]

I am in UK and one of these came up 3 years ago - I could not afford it.  I still can't afford it as they are going up now, but maybe one day......!!

4 hours ago, Philsr57 said:

Pure Physics People  LIGHT WEIGHT = LIGHT TONE!! I just laugh when people think having a light guitar is good...

Im sorry but I call BS on this...  The original 59 Les Pauls which are lauded as the best were made with old growth Honduran mahogany (which is illegal to cut down now) and were very light compared to the modern LPs made with plantation wood which is much heavier.

I am not saying a heavy guitar cant sound good, but weight is by no means a way to tell if a guitar will sound good or not. Weight just has nothing to do with it.

16 hours ago, Philsr57 said:

Hi, from my experience, the only Les Paul(s) worth keeping (ones that inspired and I desired enthusiastically to play) were ALWAYS  very heavy in weight.

Hey, no expert here, not even close, as I am just a VERY CRAZY old timer music hobbyist. However, that being said, I have over 20 continuous years on Ebay alone Buying/Trying/Selling/Collecting  and have had what are considered the best of the best GIBSON LES PAUL models pass through my hands at one time or another. Not many of those guitars (relished and collected) by masses of people kept that flame for ME PERSONALLY.  I respect EVERYONES opinion and sorry if I came across in a bad way. 

I was also referring to my Personal Experience(s) with  "Gibson Les Paul"  model guitars,  no other brands or models.

Hey, on another note, I honestly also have had (no brands mentioned) guitar amps in the OVER $10K bracket pass through my hands as well and some of them too did really nothing for my playing enthusiasm or desire. To each their own...

Lastly, MY ACTUAL 3 LIMITED LES PAUL MODELS TOGETHER will be posted tomorrow (3-16) as I got busy with "stuff" today, unfortunately nothing to do with music!!

Yes of course you are totally entitled to your opinion but to say that you laugh at people who think their light guitars sound good is a bit silly.. These sorts of sweeping statements go to start and perpetuate many internet myths 

After being on here many years the one thing you learn quickly is we all have different taste and different expectations..  One mans treasure an all that. None of it is right or wrong, just play what you enjoy and as you say what inspires you.

In the end each guitar must be judged on its own merits regardless of the name on the headstock or how much it cost (or weighs).

Edited by Rabs

14 hours ago, Philsr57 said:

Hi, from my experience, the only Les Paul(s) worth keeping (ones that inspired and I desired enthusiastically to play) were ALWAYS  very heavy in weight.

Hey, no expert here, not even close, as I am just a VERY CRAZY old timer music hobbyist. However, that being said, I have over 20 continuous years on Ebay alone Buying/Trying/Selling/Collecting  and have had what are considered the best of the best GIBSON LES PAUL models pass through my hands at one time or another. Not many of those guitars (relished and collected) by masses of people kept that flame for ME PERSONALLY.  I respect EVERYONES opinion and sorry if I came across in a bad way. 

I was also referring to my Personal Experience(s) with  "Gibson Les Paul"  model guitars,  no other brands or models.

Hey, on another note, I honestly also have had (no brands mentioned) guitar amps in the OVER $10K bracket pass through my hands as well and some of them too did really nothing for my playing enthusiasm or desire. To each their own...

Lastly, MY ACTUAL 3 LIMITED LES PAUL MODELS TOGETHER will be posted tomorrow (3-16) as I got busy with "stuff" today, unfortunately nothing to do with music!!

Nope.  Lighter wood of the same species resonates more.  Basic sciency stuff, lol...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Philsr57 said:

I tried to post my  3 Limited Les Paul pictures (All 3 Together)  that were taken today, the 16th, but they all exceed the 500 kB size! All of my pictures are over 1 MB (JPG files)

PLEASE ADVISE!

Best to everyone...

Upload the pics to a picture hosing site like Imgur: The magic of the Internet  all free and easy to set up..  Once uploaded to there then use the Direct Link it gives you, copy that directly in to your post..  Or if you have it on Facebook or something..  Right click on the picture (on facebook) click Copy and then paste that in to your post..  Should work..

Very nice. 

So what's the story with the headstocks on these reissues?  Or are they from different years?

DK33s guitars have black headstocks, pickguards and fittings but don't seem to have the gold machine heads.....:-k

EDIT - ah here it is -  quote from "The Modern Era Of The Les Paul Legacy 1968-2009", page 264:

"The 50th Anniversary Les Paul guitar celebrations began in 2002 at the Historic Division with the reissue of the original 1952 LP Model.  .........Next on the birthday bandwagon was the 2007 edition of the Golden Anniversary Gold Les Paul Custom and Standard models to celebrate the addition of the heralded 1957 humbucking pickup. All 157 special-built editions have gold hardware, Grover "Kidney" tuners, and gold-plated metal pickguard and headstock cover (later 2008 version sans the metal headdress).   ...........Concurrently, another 50th anniversary commemorative all-gold '57 Standard model was produced."

Wow.  No wonder they are going up in value.

Edited by jdgm

1 hour ago, Philsr57 said:

Thanks for the info Rabs...

OK. here are the 2 BIG Brothers protecting Sis in the middle

ENJOY!

arVrzk4.jpg

7JP8zU6.jpg

Looking good brother - congratulations-

One poster commented that my original pictures looked like black headstock and pick guard cuz they were reflecting the black carpet on the ceiling -

here’s a better look 

49ACD04B-6F65-4569-9C46-B446BC624274.jpeg

• Like 1