Gibson Brands Forums

Why?

G Mac

I've been wondering for a long time why it is that we fear death so much. Is it fear of the unknown? Is it fear of God's judgement? Is it fear of nothingness? It is said that the only sure things in life are death and taxes but, realistically, you don't have to pay taxes if you're willing to accept the consequences. Truly, death is the only sure thing in life. I died twice when I had my heart attack...it was the easiest thing that I ever did. Having said that, I still fear those moments (whether minutes or years) that precede death; I am not a fan of pain. I also do not relish the judgement that I feel we all will recieve (I have not been an angel...). I would like to know what you all think about this; perhaps it will help us all face the fears that are so prevalent at this time. Try not to be afraid despite what is being done to create fear in us all. As I often joke, I can prove conclusively that anyone who has ever taken a single breath has perished...does that mean we should all stop breathing? Unfortunately, death from enemies both seen and unseen will continue after the Corona virus crisis has come to an end. I only hope that we can all maintain as calm a perspective as is possible for the sake of our fellows and our selves. I also hope that you all will not take offense to my query nor turn it into a political discussion. Politics has absolutely nothing to do with what I am attempting to get at in this post. I pray for us all and I hope that you are all well and can stay well. Try to remember that fear is the mind killer...try to let it pass through you. Peace! Stand and Deliver!

Frank Herbert
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Seated Zen breathing with No Mind, KoKyu Ho, focusing on relaxing the one point in your lower abdomen .

• Like 2

Fear death? I guess I do not... I ride my crotch rocket in the rain while the Silverado stays home and is mainly used for shopping :-) 

I'm riding some 57 years, never been hit or down. I feel safer on a powerful bike than in a car. Sure, there's always that car with your name on the bumper that runs a red or stop sign, but if it happens it won't  be my fault, that is unless I get seduced by the dark side and buy a twin. 

At any rate, the more religious have somewhere to go, I'm not certain of that but I'm hopeful they're right. If wrong no harm done to me after I'm gone :-)   I can't fear what I cannot know of so I live and remain  not fearful. Hey we buy insurance and make wills no?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Summerisle said:

Read Philip Larkin's poem "Aubade" or find the version on Youtube of him reading it. You may find it answers your question. It did for me.

Thank You, Lord Summerisle! That, Sir is beautiful!

8 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Frank Herbert
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Seated Zen breathing with No Mind, KoKyu Ho, focusing on relaxing the one point in your lower abdomen .

I knew that someone would recognise that paraphrase! Thank You for the full quote! Breathing practice always helps.

9 minutes ago, gnappi said:

Fear death? I guess I do not... I ride my crotch rocket in the rain while the Silverado stays home and is mainly used for shopping 🙂

I'm riding some 57 years, never been hit or down. I feel safer on a powerful bike than in a car. Sure, there's always that car with your name on the bumper that runs a red or stop sign, but if it happens it won't  be my fault, that is unless I get seduced by the dark side and buy a twin. 

At any rate, the more religious have somewhere to go, I'm not certain of that but I'm hopeful they're right. If wrong no harm done to me after I'm gone 🙂  I can't fear what I cannot know of so I live and remain  not fearful. Hey we buy insurance and make wills no?  

Fear is not for bikers! Amen.

Thank You for your responses!

• Like 1

Do I fear death? No not particularly. Do I fear the pain often associated with death...yes!

My real fear of dying is what it will do to the woman I love and who loves me. 

I fear it will destroy her life too. Then my children and grandkids, how it will hurt them.

I know how devastating it will be to lose a close friend and don’t want to bring that upon people I love!

Loving another is a big risk and the deeper the love the greater the loss.

Would I change a thing....certainly not!

• Like 1

The full Frank Herbert Quote from Dune...

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

When I had my heart attack and then got on my motorcycle (not understanding what had happened to me) and then blacked out while riding and came to all covered with gas in a field I figured that I was dying.  Took long enough to figure that one out but I never was all that bright...

I wasn't afraid, it was just wait to see what would happen next.  

A couple of cars and a pick up truck went by so I crawled back to the bike, got my cell phone out of the luggage and dialed 911.  That's what happened next.

1 hour ago, Digger said:

Do I fear death? No not particularly. Do I fear the pain often associated with death...yes!

Ditto.

I personally prefer to die in my sleep or a massive dose of Rorer 714’s just in case there is any pain or suffering !!!

Survival is an instinct like Scales said. We will all try to stay alive.

If I were facing imminent death, I am sure it would p!ss me off. I haven't finished with life yet. There's stuff I feel I need to do. 

I fear suffering, but not death itself. 

Before I lived I was dead. Being dead again will be no different.

• Like 1

Death is inevitable, why fear something you can't do anything about. The thing that always strikes me whenever I'm in a cemetery is that your a long time dead. 

I guess you go back to the state of nothingness that you were in before you were born.

Edited by IanHenry

I'm not nearly as narcissistic as I was when I was younger.

I'm not nearly as important or necessary as I used to think I was. I'll be like everyone else when I'm dead.

Just dead.

And stuff will go on. Just like I was never here.

22 hours ago, G Mac said:

...I also do not relish the judgement that I feel we all will recieve (I have not been an angel...). I would like to know what you all think about this...

I don't think there'll be any such judgment. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I was surprised to learn that single-celled life-forms persisted alone in the earth's biosphere for about 3 billion years before the first multi-celled creatures began their ascent.  That's 2/3 of the entire time this planet has existed!