Gibson Brands Forums

Why?

G Mac

On 4/8/2020 at 10:23 PM, Lord Summerisle said:

Read Philip Larkin's poem "Aubade" or find the version on Youtube of him reading it. You may find it answers your question. It did for me.

A wonderful poem and spot-on meditation on mortality and death.   I think he nails a feeling common to all of us in this one.

He really had a way with words - however Larkin was a bit of a morbid chap - see also "Going", a short and very famous poem; and "Next, Please"  -  sardonic and very dark, it may send a shiver down your spine.  Brilliant writing. 

Edited by jdgm

I was going to try and come up with something thoughtful, but I'm too lazy to type that much right now. I will just say that I try to enjoy the moment because I don't know how long this life will last.  For some reason, although not necessarily on the same topic,  The Pale Blue Dot come to mind. 

A real key here is the Our Father prayer which -- per the new testament -- came from Jesus himself.   The last line is very telling: "... deliver us from evil".  That makes it very clear ... there is evil  on the other side that is best avoided at the very least.  So there is something  to definitely fear.  Actions are important.  There are ten rules (i.e., commandments) that we are  supposed to be living by -- a very sound list, by the way, that stands up strongly to this day (which almost is proof positive that a human could not have written it especially considering its age; otherwise there would have been something about goats in it or something else stupid).  Even most atheists  abide  by those rules.   And if you are following the rules -- mostly -- and have been known to do things in this life to help people when you don't have to, you have nothing to fear.  But ... if you are a serial thief, murderer, adulterer, etc., ... well ... let's just say that you may want to wear shorts and a tank top for your transition ... 

Since it's holy week and Easter weekend, maybe this is not the worst time to actually consider what Jesus was actually asking us to do ... Hmmm ... 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

...Even most atheists  abide  by those rules.

Humans are social creatures.

"Ethical rules... were not originally invented by some enlightened human lawgiver. They go deep into our evolutionary past. They were with our ancestral line from a time before we were human."  - Sagan

• Like 2

I don't fear death, as I know it will happen. I don't know what will happen after that -- and I believe we cannot know what will happen after death while we are still alive (true definition of Agnostic - translated from the Greek "not knowing").

While I don't fear death, I have good self preservation instincts, as do most animals, and plan to survive as long as possible.

7 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

There are ten rules (i.e., commandments) that we are  supposed to be living by -- a very sound list, by the way, that stands up strongly to this day (which almost is proof positive that a human could not have written it especially considering its age; otherwise there would have been something about goats in it or something else stupid).  Even most atheists  abide  by those rules.   And if you are following the rules -- mostly -- and have been known to do things in this life to help people when you don't have to, you have nothing to fear.  But ... if you are a serial thief, murderer, adulterer, etc., ... well ... let's just say that you may want to wear shorts and a tank top for your transition ... 

I don't live by many of these rules.

1.       Thou shalt worship no other god: for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

2.       Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.

3.       The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep.

4.       All that openeth the matrix is mine; and every firstling among thy cattle, whether ox or sheep, that is male.

5.       Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest.

6.       Thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.

7.       Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven.

8.       Neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of the passover be left unto the morning.

9.       The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring unto the house of the Lord thy God.

10.   Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I don't fear death or any judgement. I've been told by doctors that I should have died 5 times now. That it was an act of God that I'm still here. Twice, I was a small kid and fell out of the tallest tree, (My Mom could never keep me out of them as I wanted to see how far up I could climb them). I tried catching a branch on the way down before hitting the ground? Yeah, it was a bit painful hitting the limbs and branches on the way down. Twice, I should have bleed out before getting to the hospital involving a main artery. My left arm was almost cut off from an accident at 16 and my right knee from an accident which should have been blown off. Then I was told I would die from my brain tumor cancer 30 years ago. Those 3 things were very painful. Yet I've dealt with so much pain in the past, I'm no stranger to it. My only fear would be burned alive. I've been burned before and its the most painful way of going I think. 

No, I don't fear death, I would welcome it for my reward waits for me in Heaven! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Retired said:

I don't fear death or any judgement. I've been told by doctors that I should have died 5 times now. That it was an act of God that I'm still here. Twice, I was a small kid and fell out of the tallest tree, (My Mom could never keep me out of them as I wanted to see how far up I could climb them). I tried catching a branch on the way down before hitting the ground? Yeah, it was a bit painful hitting the limbs and branches on the way down. Twice, I should have bleed out before getting to the hospital involving a main artery. My left arm was almost cut off from an accident at 16 and my right knee from an accident which should have been blown off. Then I was told I would die from my brain tumor cancer 30 years ago. Those 3 things were very painful. Yet I've dealt with so much pain in the past, I'm no stranger to it. My only fear would be burned alive. I've been burned before and its the most painful way of going I think. 

No, I don't fear death, I would welcome it for my reward waits for me in Heaven! 

Put in a good word for me Butch

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 5:03 PM, Mr. Gibson said:

Put in a good word for me Butch

Yeah,  Scripture says there will be all sorts of instruments in heaven but none in hell. Deb & I are trying to figure out away how to get my Gold Top and my Tube amp in my coffin which I don't have yet for that Glorious day. LOl There should be some pretty great band members up there! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Retired said:

Yeah,  Scripture says there will be all sorts of instruments in heaven but none in hell. Deb & I are trying to figure out away how to get my Gold Top and my Tube amp in my coffin which I don't have yet for that Glorious day. LOl There should be some pretty great band members up there! 

Dude you don't need to take it with you. 

Everything you need will be right there for you. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RoyC said:

I don't fear death, when it comes, i'm gone.

There's no after life or retributions waiting. 

YOUR GONE, THERE'S NO MORE, THAT'S IT.

We'll see. I've never died, so I don't know, but I've always had a feeling, most often quite contrary to my wants and wishes, that there's something after this. Not very scientific, I know. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Pinch said:

We'll see. I've never died, so I don't know, but I've always had a feeling, most often quite contrary to my wants and wishes, that there's something after this. Not very scientific, I know. 

It's not about science at all. 

It's all about faith my friend. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RoyC said:

I'll shut up.

I could never convince  you that there is no Santa.

I don't think you have to, do you? 

To each their own, and all that... 

Also, there is a Santa. He's jolly and lives on the North Pole. 

17 minutes ago, Pinch said:

When you're new on a forum, a little courtesy goes a long way. Just sayin. 

I am just saying, rather than argue I will shut up.

What is discourteous about that ?

• Like 2