Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

Recommended Posts

Just now, RoyC said:

I am just saying, rather than argue I will shut up.

What is discourteous about that ?

Oh. I thought you were telling me to zip it. Sorry, long day. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RoyC said:

I am just saying, rather than argue I will shut up.

What is discourteous about that ?

This not really the place for pushing theological beliefs, but I will defend  your right to believe what you want and every one else's. These are very trying times and faith in whatever helps get through it is good. Sensitivity goes a long ways..

My belief is that P90's are the best sounding pickups ever created... 🙂

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't fear death, though I greatly dread the notion of leaving behind things and details and problems for others to have to deal with. 

This is why I have a Last Will & Testament in the fire safe. 

It's also why I am engaged in the slow, steady, methodical process of getting rid of all the flotsam and jetsam around here. 

Every single day I either throw something out, give something away, or donate to charity those items that I have collected that I no longer need or use. 
Shelf by shelf, closet by closet, and box by box, I am getting rid of all the stuff that somebody else might have to get rid of after I am gone. 

Except for guitars. 
Those I am keeping until the bitter end. 
😏
 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I don't fear death, though I greatly dread the notion of leaving behind things and details and problems for others to have to deal with. 

This is why I have a Last Will & Testament in the fire safe. 

It's also why I am engaged in the slow, steady, methodical process of getting rid of all the flotsam and jetsam around here. 

Every single day I either throw something out, give something away, or donate to charity those items that I have collected that I no longer need or use. 
Shelf by shelf, closet by closet, and box by box, I am getting rid of all the stuff that somebody else might have to get rid of after I am gone. 

Except for guitars. 
Those I am keeping until the bitter end. 
😏
 

When my wife was alive, she used to say, we, meaning me,  should get a skip and throw away all the junk.

My son replied, don't bother, I'll move in as it is.

THAT'S MY BOY.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, RoyC said:

When my wife was alive, she used to say, we, meaning me,  should get a skip and throw away all the junk.

My son replied, don't bother, I'll move in as it is.

THAT'S MY BOY.

 

I always wish I had done something to protect my 1950s baseball cards. Collected in packs of 5 with a slab of bubble gum for 5cents a mile long bike ride away. One a week I would guess.  Had some good ones.   I guess, after I moved out and brought only my Gibson and Case pocket knife with me - my mother figured she could trash them.    

So, I started saving those old Garbage Pail Kids cards.  Then Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle junk.  Star Wars.  Half the stuff our kids had that seemed they might want to see it again in 50 years.   Wife didn't have baseball cards thrown out on her apparently. She thinks I'm crazy.  Oprah confirmed it in an article. I guess she didn't have baseball cards either ! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t fear it or dwell on it.  Not much I can do about it either way.  I tend to believe we go on from here (due to an incident in the 1970’s), but I really don’t have an opinion on where we go.  Don’t know if there’s a heaven and hell, etc.  I figure if there is, I’ll find out then.  If we don’t go somewhere else from here, I won’t know it anyway.  .......I just take things as they come and try to be a decent human......and eagerly await the re-opening of my favorite coffeehouses. 😇

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2020 at 12:27 PM, RoyC said:

zipper-emoticon.jpg

Ha ha, Much better! Now you can unzip it and tell me where you found that photo? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Retired said:

Ha ha, Much better! Now you can unzip it and tell me where you found that photo? 

Just Google, Smileys images zip mouth.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2020 at 4:04 PM, mihcmac said:

This not really the place for pushing theological beliefs, but I will defend  your right to believe what you want and every one else's. These are very trying times and faith in whatever helps get through it is good. Sensitivity goes a long ways..

My belief is that P90's are the best sounding pickups ever created... 🙂

A agree.

I bought a Gibson ES-330 and after a year of playing nothing but P90s, everything else sounds dull, lifeless, and relatively unresponsive to my picking - especially with dynamics. This results in less expressive music.

Plus their tone is as pure as pure can be. You can distort a pure tone, but you can't make a tone that starts our distorted become pure.

Hail P90!!!

As I said before, in the true sense of the word, I'm agnostic. I don't know and know that I can't know. So I live life with two things in mind (1) live life like this is all there is, get all the joy I can, and do things that I believe promote a longer life so I can enjoy it longer (2) live life as a nice, considerate, kind person in a way that if there is an afterlife I'll go to the good place.

That's what I call covering both bases.

When I die either I'll find out or not. Since I can't determine that while I'm alive, I'm not going to get into any arguments about it.

Insights and incites by Notes

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amen, Notes!  All we can do is try to be good humans.  The older I get the more questions I have and the fewer answers I find.  If there is something beyond here, I’ll enjoy it if my family and dogs are there....and hopefully there are some guitars.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to find a quiet place and practice seated Zen. While calming my body and letting go of distractions, as I start to drift into no-mind with Ki energy flowing with my breath, my mind totally open to the universe and presented to the Creator. I wake with a calm feeling and a knowing that everything will be as it should be. KoKyu Ho.

This experience is very similar to the way I feel when I'm in the zone playing my guitar..  with P90's... 🤐

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2020 at 3:49 PM, mihcmac said:

I like to find a quiet place and practice seated Zen. While calming my body and letting go of distractions, as I start to drift into no-mind with Ki energy flowing with my breath, my mind totally open to the universe and presented to the Creator. I wake with a calm feeling and a knowing that everything will be as it should be. KoKyu Ho.

This experience is very similar to the way I feel when I'm in the zone playing my guitar..  with P90's... 🤐

I kind of feel like that when I see a good-looking young gal in a silky/cotten summer dress and the wind is blowing....lol.....Then it hits me:  I'm old enough to be her grandfather and besides, that young stud with her can't be more than 25......lol........Anyway, I hear where you're coming from.  We all find our peaceful place wherever we can.  Playing guitar helps me get there.

Edited by MissouriPicker
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2020 at 3:04 PM, mihcmac said:

This not really the place for pushing theological beliefs, but I will defend  your right to believe what you want and every one else's. These are very trying times and faith in whatever helps get through it is good. Sensitivity goes a long ways..

My belief is that P90's are the best sounding pickups ever created... 🙂

Totally agree. I used to think most of my life that P-90's were to much heavy metal, I never tried them either. My Casino Coupe is the first guitarI bought  that has them, and thanks to Digger who mostly convinced me to try them out. Plus the Casino he has. So I went to Dietz Music who had the Casino Coup and I actually fell in love with them. Its mostly my number one guitar I go with now and I have wondered why I have never done this when I was in my teens? I'm ready to sell a few off and buy more P-90 guitars. The Riviera is my next target. Plus I am thinking of putting P-90's in my Gold Top. One thing I love about the Casino is I can play it unplugged and it still sounds great. Almost like an Acoustic guitar. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got an ES-330 and a Casino, both with P90s. The Gibson sounds better unplugged, warmer and fuller, the Casino is brighter and thinner.

I don't know if it's the wood, the age (the 330 was built in 1970) or the fact that the Gibson has Nitro Lacquer and the Casino has some kind of poly finish.

Both have that great P90 sound.

I find that gigging, there are two rooms I play that have problems, causing noise in the P90s. One has electrical problems, even their PA hums, the other it's something about the lighting. One is the club house of a mobile home park another the rec room of a condo. I play each room once per year, their winter holiday party.

Having one P90 reverse polarity and reverse wound is a work around. Using both pickups creates a giant humbucker.

But once I got a gig on a quay over a salt water lagoon once a week, I wanted a solid body guitar.

I settled on one with Duncan P-Rails with triple-shot rings. Using the switches on the rings I can have P90, Rail, Series Humbucker and Parallel Humbucker sounds.

The P90 and humbucker sounds are excellent, and the rail is good but the output is a little week. Using both pups in the rail position does give some nice strat tones though.

On the gig, I rarely use anything but the P90 sounds.

To keep this on topic, IMHO P90s are the best pickups, but no pickup is "to die for." :D

Notes

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2020 at 11:58 AM, MissouriPicker said:

I kind of feel like that when I see a good-looking young gal in a silky/cotten summer dress and the wind is blowing....lol.....Then it hits me:  I'm old enough to be her grandfather and besides, that young stud with her can't be more than 25......lol........Anyway, I hear where you're coming from.  We all find our peaceful place wherever we can.  Playing guitar helps me get there.

Silky dresses are wonderful, at my age I have to be careful my imagination doesn't drift too far. My guitar gently weeps for me.

On 4/26/2020 at 12:32 PM, Retired said:

Totally agree. I used to think most of my life that P-90's were to much heavy metal, I never tried them either. My Casino Coupe is the first guitarI bought  that has them, and thanks to Digger who mostly convinced me to try them out. Plus the Casino he has. So I went to Dietz Music who had the Casino Coup and I actually fell in love with them. Its mostly my number one guitar I go with now and I have wondered why I have never done this when I was in my teens? I'm ready to sell a few off and buy more P-90 guitars. The Riviera is my next target. Plus I am thinking of putting P-90's in my Gold Top. One thing I love about the Casino is I can play it unplugged and it still sounds great. Almost like an Acoustic guitar. 

I sold off my humbuckers and have gone totally P90, partly to have consistency in tweaking my amps. You might like your Gold Top with "humbucker sized P90's", there are some really good sounding ones out there, P94 style, that drop right in.

On 4/27/2020 at 4:36 AM, Notes_Norton said:

I've got an ES-330 and a Casino, both with P90s. The Gibson sounds better unplugged, warmer and fuller, the Casino is brighter and thinner.

I don't know if it's the wood, the age (the 330 was built in 1970) or the fact that the Gibson has Nitro Lacquer and the Casino has some kind of poly finish.

Both have that great P90 sound.

I find that gigging, there are two rooms I play that have problems, causing noise in the P90s. One has electrical problems, even their PA hums, the other it's something about the lighting. One is the club house of a mobile home park another the rec room of a condo. I play each room once per year, their winter holiday party.

Having one P90 reverse polarity and reverse wound is a work around. Using both pickups creates a giant humbucker.

But once I got a gig on a quay over a salt water lagoon once a week, I wanted a solid body guitar.

I settled on one with Duncan P-Rails with triple-shot rings. Using the switches on the rings I can have P90, Rail, Series Humbucker and Parallel Humbucker sounds.

The P90 and humbucker sounds are excellent, and the rail is good but the output is a little week. Using both pups in the rail position does give some nice strat tones though.

On the gig, I rarely use anything but the P90 sounds.

To keep this on topic, IMHO P90s are the best pickups, but no pickup is "to die for." 😄

Notes

I play in some areas's that are totally solar, but tend to get the cleanest sound when a generator comes on, perhaps its providing a better ground. Under really bad noise conditions, I back off the gain and tone a bit on my guitar and specially any boost that gets noisy, typically finding 1/2 the amount of drive I would have used with humbuckers. I also use a reverse coil to get the humbucker effect, using the switch mid-position most of the time, while getting a great reacting P90 sound with some hum cancelling. Actually, I tune my amp to be optimized for both pickups on at the same time. One of the things I love about single coils, is how they respond to playing pressure...

Having a new tube amp to tweak for different volume levels ranging from bedroom to outdoor levels, is great entertainment during these times, loving the sound of valves cooking driven by P90's.

I know you guys aren't exactly beginners, but some of this information may be helpful to new players using Les Pauls original design pickup..

Edited by mihcmac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Mihcmac, I'll check some out. I just want to beef up the Gibson G.T.  It has the alnicos in it.  My son didn't want his Custom Pro Epiphone anymore which has Burst buckers in it, so traded me for my Epiphone Standard.  I played his and a cheap guitar put my Gold Top to shame. I cant get the Gibson to sound that good. I want to see what P-90's sound like in a solid body. But I will take it to a expert and have them do it and set the guitar up too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Retired said:

Thanks Mihcmac, I'll check some out. I just want to beef up the Gibson G.T.  It has the alnicos in it.  My son didn't want his Custom Pro Epiphone anymore which has Burst buckers in it, so traded me for my Epiphone Standard.  I played his and a cheap guitar put my Gold Top to shame. I cant get the Gibson to sound that good. I want to see what P-90's sound like in a solid body. But I will take it to a expert and have them do it and set the guitar up too. 

These GFS Mean 90's are one my favorite "humbucker sized P90's" for sound, quality and price including a silver plated chassis that may have something to do with its unusually low noise. they come in chrome, nickel and gold.. I have them in one of my SG's and about to order another set for a project guitar.

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Mean-90-True-Alnico-P90-Pickup-in-Humbucker-Case-Our-FATTEST-Mean-90-Chrome_p_21844.html

There are many other manufacturers of "humbucker sized P90's" in a wide range of prices..

google search..... https://www.google.com/search?q=humbucker+sized+P90's&client=safari&rls=en&sxsrf=ALeKk01C4_J5boDir9o87NWXUdQUDnrkkw:1588100927604&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwir0KD96IvpAhUJvJ4KHXM5CGYQ_AUoAXoECBAQAw

P90's are good at keeping the bad aliens away..

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...