Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 50s LG2, anyone play one?

SycamoreDan

I owned two 50's era LG2s, but both seemed to have lackluster low E bass response tone, uncharacteristic of the punchy balance I found in the other 5 strings. I found the L00 filled the bill and was more even across the board.

My first LG2 decades ago was a later- 50's guitar.  Since then I have owned a couple of other 1940s and 1950s LG-2s and played what has to have been hundreds of them.   My favorite of the bunch  hands down remains a 1944 maple body LG2.    When it comes to the heavier built 1950s guitars,  I feel the LG-2 handles an aggressive attack better than any similar age Martin 00-18 at least I have tried out.  To me where the LG-2 shines is when played around the nut.  Real punchy sounding although I agree with a previous post in that they give up a bit on the low end.  Played further up the board they tend to get a middle of the road nasal sound.  Almost like they lose clarity.  Might be the smaller body combined with the characteristic Kalamazoo Gibson tendency to bloom right out of the starting gate and then decay quickly.  In the end it just comes down to matching the way you approach a guitar with the instrument itself.

• 2 weeks later...