Gibson Brands Forums

The new SG

dc3c46

Well, Gibson did it again: The Robby Krieger SG.

Again a guitar for collectors at a price which is definitely not for players.

And what is the difference to the '61 RI?

The price. The looks. The Lyra.

But there it stops. '57 classics like the '61 RI.

Do we expect a different/better sound from this fiddle?

In my opinion no.Gibson is elaborating on the '57 classics that they deliver

the tone of the old PAFs. Big deal I got these in my '61 RI too.

On the other hand they also say that Burstbuckers are the closest to the PAFs.

I am confused now. And amused.

Go out there you collectors, buy one and put it in the safe. Don't you dare play it.

I play mine almost every day. That's what they are here for. I buy a guitar for the

specific tone it delivers because I like that tone.

Man... take a SG Std, put a Maestro, 57Cs and some dings, and what do we have here?

A $9000 guitar. A $1000 SG just became $9000 collector's item! BS!

Do they sell new Maestro trem tailpiece separately somewhere???

what is with the head guys at gibson right now thinking everyone wants the worn out 'vintage' look, personaly if i wanted a guitar that looked vintage i would go spend 2000 on one that actually is not 9000 on a factory fresh one with some dings and worn down areas

thats the beauty about owning a guitar is breaking it in and playing the **** out of it, not just mounting it on your wall and having it look like its been played to death....

man 9G thats redic!!!

Man... take a SG Std' date=' put a Maestro, 57Cs and some dings, and what do we have here?

A $9000 guitar. A $1000 SG just became $9000 collector's item! BS!

Do they sell new Maestro trem tailpiece separately somewhere???[/quote']

Try AllParts. Gibson recommends them for replacement parts for vintage instruments. Sorry for the off-topic.

I'm not going to say again how disappointed I am with Gibson (ooops, I just did :- ). Go on. Make thousands of dollars worth of guitars. Make t-shirts, pens, ashtrays and the CEO's barbie dolls. :-k=D> =D> =D>

We'll probably experience the good ol' 1985-1986 days when Gibson went bankrupt. Maybe the guy who'll buy Gibson next time will have more brains and have in mind that the guitar manufacturers' target group is not the collector, but the musician (pro or amateur). There's eBay for collectors.

One love

Man, I'm gonna have to argue.

Henry may not understand SG Bevels YET, but he has kept the Gibson name to mean "Made In U.S.A.", and that might not mean anything to you in Greece, but it does here.

He has 3 very fine factorys, Memphis, Nashville, and Bozeman building the finest guitars on the planet.

I've never seen a Gibson ashtray.

Best to ya.

Murph.

Yeah, I b!tched and moaned about the Krieger model when I found out about it.

Cosmetically, the body is spot-on with what a lot of the '68-'71 ones looked like (too bad they can't do a g-d early/mid-60's reissue that looks as authentic when compared to REAL '61-'65 models!), and I heard from someone the neck was also very accurate, which is cool. The NICKEL hardware is where the accuracy fails (everything from late-'64 or '65 on had CHROME...duh), and I'm sorry, pre-aging/pre-denting/pre-scratching/etc is just fruity.

I would love to see that same guitar issued as a Historic late-60's Standard (minus the goofy fakea$$ aging and maybe with a little more '66/'67 deeper beveling, chrome parts and more "red" tint), and in the under $3k range. But the "new-beater" low-issue/high-priced nonsense ain't cutting it for me.

Collectors hate players, for the most part, and the same is true the other way around. Both think the other are blasphemers for "playing art" or "not playing INSTRUMENTS" respectively, but who's right? Personally, I lean towards players (like Angus, Rick Nielson, Billy Gibbons, etc), because a guitar sitting in a case forever or on the wall as a show-off piece for the golf-buddies is silly. I'm not saying one shouldn't take decent care of certain prized high-end dream guitars, but a truly remarkable guitar screams to be played and will settle for nothing less.

Making guitars "for collectors" (or high-profile stars) and not for "players", that's a whole new level of BS to me. And I think that they could make MORE money making a thousand guitars for 1/2 the cost of what they want for a couple-hundred-or-less limited run POS, especially with a well-thought, universally-appealing instrument (which I think a NON-aged or Historic "new" Krieger-style SG reissue would be). But what do I know? I'm just a working musician. =D>

H-Bomb

Man' date=' I'm gonna have to argue.

Henry may not understand SG Bevels YET, but he has kept the Gibson name to mean "Made In U.S.A.", and that might not mean anything to you in Greece, but it does here.

He has 3 very fine factorys, Memphis, Nashville, and Bozeman building the finest guitars on the planet.

I've never seen a Gibson ashtray.

Best to ya.

Murph.[/quote']

If it meant nothing to me, I'd buy an Ibanez :-& , not a Gibson. Believe you me, I'm prouder to own just one Gibson SG "Made In U.S.A." (for the time being), than I would be if I owned 10 Made In Korea/China/Japan/Mexico (or I don't know where else) guitars. I never argued about Gibson's ability to offer the finest instruments in the world (although I know someone who disagrees with that, but I'd gladly rip his head off, for other reasons as well). I just think that they're not really going the right direction. Maybe I'm wrong, but putting out $8,000+ worth of guitars, doesn't seem right to me. What seems right to me? Listening to what musicians and Gibson fans want (maybe some vintage catalogues to drool over). Again, I'm not arguing about the quality of the instrument as an instrument. Again, I love Gibson guitars. Again, I may be wrong.

PS: If you still find what I write sooo unreasonable, then contact me, we'll talk it through.

PS2 (Not PlayStation 2): I don't live in Greece, I live in my own little world.

9000$ - really? :-& I didn´t read anything about a price yet.

But if it sells... I wouldn´t buy a guitar for 9000$, not even if I had it. That´s for sure. But I can´t blame Gibson for doing this. Business hasn´t got to do anything with idealism. Idealism would mean to give us all 68 or 61 style SGs at a moderate (under 3K) price. Business means to sell that very same guitar as a funny styled (real worth definitely under 3K) custom model to some collectors who simply can afford it and won´t even ask for a reason.

What would I do if I were Gibson? Honestly, I don´t know.

Greetings

Kurt

9000$ - really? :-& I didn´t read anything about a price yet.

But if it sells... I wouldn´t buy a guitar for 9000$' date=' not even if I had it. That´s for sure. But I can´t blame Gibson for doing this. Business hasn´t got to do anything with idealism. Idealism would mean to give us all 68 or 61 style SGs at a moderate (under 3K) price. Business means to sell that very same guitar as a funny styled (real worth definitely under 3K) custom model to some collectors who simply can afford it and won´t even ask for a reason.

What would I do if I were Gibson? Honestly, I don´t know.

Greetings

Kurt[/quote']

I'm not saying that I'm a pro, but market research is an option. After all it's the consumers (musicians and collectors in the case of Gibson) who buy the company's products (um duh!) and it's them who keep the company going. What would I do if I were Gibson? Probably shoot myself in the head, 'cause it's just too much.

I'm not saying that I'm a pro' date=' but market research is an option. After all it's the consumers (musicians and collectors in the case of Gibson) who buy the company's products (um duh!) and it's them who keep the company going. What would I do if I were Gibson? Probably shoot myself in the head, 'cause it's just too much.[/quote']

I´m not a pro either. But if they don´t sell it´s not very likely they´ll do anything like this again. If they do - everything´s fine. Gibson builds guitars for the players as well. If you don´t like them, don´t buy `em. If they´re too expensive, don´t buy `em. And if I found a better guitar at a better price from any other company I´d buy it there. So if people wouldn´t buy what Gibson makes, I guess they would shoot their chairman in the head, metaphorically spoken.

For me it´s too much either. But show me the businessman that could resist if that works. It´s almost like printing money to ask 9000$ for a guitar that isn´t too different from a standard or Angus.

I can promise you that I won´t buy it. But I doubt that this could stop Gibson building overpriced guitars.

Greetings

Kurt

I´m not a pro either. But if they don´t sell it´s not very likely they´ll do anything like this again. If they do - everything´s fine. Gibson builds guitars for the players as well. If you don´t like them' date=' don´t buy `em. If they´re too expensive, don´t buy `em. And if I found a better guitar at a better price from any other company I´d buy it there. So if people wouldn´t buy what Gibson makes, I guess they would shoot their chairman in the head, metaphorically spoken.

For me it´s too much either. But show me the businessman that could resist if that works. It´s almost like printing money to ask 9000$ for a guitar that isn´t too different from a standard or Angus.

I can promise you that I won´t buy it. But I doubt that this could stop Gibson building overpriced guitars.

Greetings

Kurt[/quote']

I totally agree with you. Personally, I'm almost 100% satisfied with my SG, and sure there are a couple of things I want to change, everybody has a perfect guitar in their mind, and for sure, there can't be a trillion different models that suit everyone's needs and likes. And maybe I was a bit edgy with my reaction on this guitar, it's just that it has nothing special to justify it's price. Anyways, I'm kinda getting tired (and don't the see the point anymore) of *****ing about the fact that Gibson doesn't make cool guitars (or guitars that I think are cool) or that some of their guitars are way overpriced. Some of their standard production models seem about right to perform some surgery on and make them beasts.

One love

Archived