Gibson Brands Forums

tips and advice from so called experts.

I recently have had some extra time at home and have been browsing on line.  I read guitar posts and Youtube videos while taking a playing and song writing break. I am puzzled by the advice some people give. The one that has got me questioning these experts is, telling that buying a Gibson Les Paul is recommended for a beginner and not quite as professional as a gigging guitar.  Beginner guitar???  A statement like this makes me lose any kind of credibility for that person.  Strange advice !  In fact ,I believe quite the opposite. A beginning guitar player should be learning on  a less expensive instrument. That way they can appreciate quality later on in their career. They may never be able to recognize tonal quality and workmanship if they are not experiencing the cheaper market.  Anyone that thinks a Gibson is inferior to many other knock-offs, really don't know enough to give advice .

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2020 at 6:50 PM, Roxx said:

I recently have had some extra time at home and have been browsing on line.  I read guitar posts and Youtube videos while taking a playing and song writing break. I am puzzled by the advice some people give. The one that has got me questioning these experts is, telling that buying a Gibson Les Paul is recommended for a beginner and not quite as professional as a gigging guitar.  Beginner guitar???  A statement like this makes me lose any kind of credibility for that person.  Strange advice !  In fact ,I believe quite the opposite. A beginning guitar player should be learning on  a less expensive instrument. That way they can appreciate quality later on in their career. They may never be able to recognize tonal quality and workmanship if they are not experiencing the cheaper market.  Anyone that thinks a Gibson is inferior to many other knock-offs, really don't know enough to give advice .

• 6 months later...

I would definitely agree  with you, beginners are better off focusing on becoming better players than gear. With that being said, it's good to have a solid ax that's set up well and intonated, You can always reward yourself for improving your skills by upgrading gear.

Edited by HamrockGuitar