Gibson Brands Forums

What DON'T You Like About Les Pauls in General??

DuaLeaD

Despite having 7 guitars from 5 companies, and having played many others in shops, I still say Les Pauls are the best all-around rock guitars in the world. With that said, what don't you like about your LP and LPs in general?

I'd like to get some feedback from proud new LP owners and lifelong LP players alike =D

PS: Thanks for the great feedback on my Under-rated Guitarist thread, very interesting!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The weight -

if you buy the wrong one.

I love my chambered Dark Fire - which is half the weight of my '72 Standard.

=D> I like it when somebody posts that kind of comment (I agree with it)

Gibson made the wheight change because people kept whining about how heavy gibsons were... and now we have all those people whining about how only a completely solid gibson is any good and the others are crap and we morrons for buying them... =D>

Minor negatives:

1. The cost.

2. I find the instrument a bit uncomfortable and it absolutely requires a strap should I sit down to play.

2. The weight, if you buy the right one (excuse me, elantric).

I have three, a 60ies Custom, 06 VOS R8 and an old original 79 "The Paul". < Cheapest one, and I lke it best of all.

I've had a couple over the years, currently an 08 model that's chambered

1) price

2) neck joint

3) weight - the heavier ones (solid, no chambers) are a load and cantilever the headstock end up.

4) quality varies too much for the price, they're best bought hands on

BUT they're so damn sweet I gladly put up with any/all of it. Ya got me Lester.

The guitar itself, I think is perfect. Yes, even the price. I don't mind paying top dollar for one I feel is worth it.

LPs in general, I can't stand the constant comparison between modern and vintage LPs or how some people think old LPs are automatically better...they're not. It's not just the reissue to original burst comparison that gets on my nerves, it's also the ones that can't get over chambering without even playing one first.

#-o I like it when somebody posts that kind of comment (I agree with it)

Gibson made the wheight change because people kept whining about how heavy gibsons were... and now we have all those people whining about how only a completely solid gibson is any good and the others are crap and we morrons for buying them... :D

Proves that old saying, you can't please all of the people all of the time.... But at least "the people" have choices...

1. Gibson why wont u make a gibson les paul double neck? (not many like the way it looks but i dig it!)

I'd buy the SG D.N. before I would buy a LP D.N. But then again, I probably wouldn't buy any D.N guitar...

1. Price

2. Flametops

Hmm, you don't like flametops? Odd, considering your avatar. Just wondering...

I actually have no complaints. There are surely better quality guitars at a cheaper price, but the LP has the right combination of a "hand-made" guitar with that special mojo...

Hmm' date=' you don't like flametops? Odd, considering your avatar. Just wondering...

I actually have no complaints. There are surely better quality guitars at a cheaper price, but the LP has the right combination of a "hand-made" guitar with that special mojo...[/quote']

Well.. Jimmy is the man. I'd still have him as my avatar even if he was playing a turd.

Don't get me wrong... I think flametops are cool, although a little too flashy for me. I just prefer the plain top look I guess.

The main but forgivable minor points against les pauls I have to say are- upper fret access is kinda limited compared to my Sg

- The top of the guitar pokes my ribs and causes my side to hurt if i'm playing it on my lap for too long

Archived