Gibson Brands Forums

“Industrial Snooping”

JuanCarlosVejar

Those were interesting videos. 

That guitar has some of the same construction characteristics of both of the 1950 J-45s I have, such as the spruce side stays inside, replacing the cloth ones that Gibson used up until sometime in the late 1940s.

The one-owner 1950 J-45 I bought last year apparently also has a spruce bridgeplate, like this J-185. That surprised me, as spruce is a very soft wood to use for a bridgeplate. It's a miracle it survived this long, and it did require some conservation last year.

The spruce bridgeplate on that J-45 probably made it this far because the guitar was essentially put in the case sometime in the late 1950s or early 1960s, and almost never played again until I bought it in 2019.

Needless to say, I am pretty careful when changing strings to make sure the ball ends are seated properly.

It surprised me that Ren thought the hole in the rim might be a drain hole.  Maybe he was teasing us with that one.  Pickup wire holes in rims were common before the days of endpin jacks. I've had two guitars with wire holes in the rims.

The only time you might need a drain hole would be if you played a lot in bars where the patrons threw beers at you.  I've spilled a beer inside a case, but can't remember having one thrown at me.