Gibson Brands Forums

My first Gibson

CincinnatiSi

The neck is smoothing out from the play she's been getting. The neck is probably the thickest that I've played but it seems to fit nicely. I really like the sound and sustain I get, especially on the dirty side of my amp.

I been listening to a lot of Joe Bonamassa lately and have been diggin' the LP sound so I had to get one.

The mic by the way is an EV/Blue Cardinal.

Seems to be a lottery with regards to which pups you get in the studio. I have the worn Cherry and I have been told mine has the 490r and the 498t... yet some folks have the BB's How can I tell?

Flight959

The LP Studio has the 490/498, while the VM has the BB Pro's. My understanding is that the Studio and VM are two separate guitars...meaning the VM isn't just another version of the Studio. Am I right or wrong? :D

The LP Studio has the 490/498' date=' while the VM has the BB Pro's. My understanding is that the Studio and VM are two separate guitars...meaning the VM isn't just another version of the Studio. Am I right or wrong? :D [/quote']

I thought they were the same, just a different colour... They both have the worn finish..

Here's mine

chess049.jpg

Ignore the cat

Flight959

The Vintage Mahogany's are a slightly different version of the studio. The other studio's have a maple cap' date=' but no binding. The maple cap is supposed to be a little brighter thus they didn't need the BB Pro's. That is my understanding.[/quote']

I think you're right about all of that except for the part about the BB Pro's. They were originally designed to be put in the LP Standard, which does have the maple cap. They were designed (I think in 2002) as a bit of an "upgrade" to the original Burstbuckers (the 1 & 2 specifically)...but w/more output, wax potted, etc.

Archived