Gibson Brands Forums

Who on Earth would want a Guitar with a Neck Like this?

IanHenry

On 4/15/2020 at 6:47 AM, rct said:

eh.  Every few years someone does the super scalloped fingerboard thing in combination with some other gimmick.  Guitar players ignore them in droves and buy more Teles and Strats and Les Pauls.  Same as it ever was.

rct

Agreed, same as it ever was.

On 4/16/2020 at 7:35 PM, rct said:

Yes, scalloped boards have been around since at least Blackmore in the early 70's.  Super light touch, string touches fret and nothing else, mostly classical type players.  I think his was scalloped from 12th up.  It's a thing, but it isn't really a sellable thing.  I had a good time at the Fender Fakktory with some Yngwie necks they were rushing out, they are scalloped.  It's odd, but if it is your thing it is your thing.  And every few years someone does it again, one was scalloped AND fan fretted I remember.

But put it on one of these hideous things and you are guaranteeing zero sales to the most conservative consumers on the planet, us.

rct

Blackmore sent his old Strat in for a refret and the guy sanded it flat because he thought it had worn down.

15 hours ago, Pinch said:

I bet he said, "no sweat, mate, these things happen". 

Or maybe not. 

I've only seen him talk a couple of times, and he seemed nice enough, especially as the old Blackmore of Blackmore's Night.  He's supposed to be a real prick, if I got to play with that Purple bunch every night I'd be whatever I wanted too! 

rct