Gibson Brands Forums

Covid 19: How many in your family?

Californiaman

So I want to start out by saying this has really hit home for me.

It's been a brutal month for me and my family. Three family members have had the Wuhan Virus.

First my brother-in-law was told his co-worker has it and that it would be good for him to self-quarantine.  He got it.  Less than a week later he was admitted with pneumonia to his local hospital.  He's been on a respirator and dialysis machine for three weeks.  Today was the first day he's responded to any stimulation.  He gave a thumbs up to his nurse.  We have been praying non-stop every day for him for the last two or three weeks now.  Seems like forever.

Secondly, my sister got it from Dave, her husband.  She was helping my dad after the sudden death of my mother three weeks ago.  She has been away from her husband who has been in ICU this entire time.  She's been quarantined the entire time.

Third, my dad got it too.  He's 81 and it hit him hard but not as hard as my sister and brother-in-law. We think there might be two reasons as to why. He had the Hong Kong Flue in the early '70s.  I know this, because I had it too.  I think it was 1970.  The other reason is that Dad likes his evening scotch.  It's my belief that the scotch killed a lot of the virus that might have been in his throat.  In fact Dad said that when he drank it that particular night, "It tasted terrible. It was all I could do to finish the glass. It was horrible."

As for my mother, it wasn't Covid 19.  It was a massive brain hemorrhage.  She had a devastating stroke.  There was nothing anybody could do.  Now, we are unable to even bury her and have a proper funeral until all this blows over.  We will give her a wonderful celebration of life when the time comes.  And yes, my brother-in-law David will be there too.  He's going to recover in due time.  They hope to take him off the respirator this weekend.

Stay safe everyone.  Remember to wash your hands and practice good hygiene.  My wife has been in public health for 20 years.  Washing your hands and using good hygiene is so important. Again, stay safe.

Edited by Californiaman
forgot an o
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

How awful CM -  Best wishes all round.

No relatives of mine that I'm aware of, but one of my 2 lifelong best mates had to isolate when a workmate caught it - thankfully he got the all clear. My mum is 81 and so is a prime candidate, but as a former nurse she always keeps her place and herself hospital clean. My mother in law who lives next door is on and off chemo so we are quite protective of her. much hand washing etc.

Hope your family get through this.

Todd. You know you and Jill and the kids are in our prayers,, you have had an  credible rollercoaster of a year my friend.  

Somehow you will get through it.  Stay healthy,  love life, each day is a gift. 

Give thanks to the giver. 

God Bless

So sorry to hear that this has really affected you so much.

I do not know anyone that has gotten covid-19. But I am so worried about my Mother. She is 83 and lives alone. She lives 275 miles away from me and my brother.

My brother and I have been ordering groceries for her online and having them delivered to her house.

That is my biggest worry...my Mom.

• Like 1

My heartfelt condolences to you and the family on the passing of your Mam, such a  thing only made harder during these times.

My Aunt(72) had it and now is out the far side. What is a bit worrying is that they think you can get sick a second time.

Crikey mate I’m so sorry to hear about your family troubles! I sincerely hope they all get over this thing soon.

Sorry also about your mom, that’s a hard loss, really tough for families now with the lockdown.

You won’t ever forget her of course and I hope you can concentrate on the good memories from her life.

My thoughts are with you and anyone else caught up in this tidal wave of misery.

Edited by Digger

Thank you everybody for your kind thoughts and well-wishes.

My brother-in-law Dave is off the ventilator.  In fact they finally got him out of bed after 17 days on the breather.

We're all really excited.  My sister and father are both over the virus and on the mend.

Again, you're all appreciated and I wish you well too.

• Like 1

Wow, so sorry to hear your family getting hit hard. Good that your brother in law is recovering. I know of none that Deb and I know that have  the virus. We hear of people here, but we don't know them. My oldest aunt, Deloris passed away yesterday but she was 97 and just her time to go. She just stopped eating. My mom visited her in intensive but she didn't know it was her sister. She was out of it. I'll turn 67 at midnight and Mom will come over tomorrow. Hope things get better for you.