Gibson Brands Forums

Ray Wylie Hubbard (playing a SJ natural?)

PickitPaul

2 hours ago, j45nick said:

Looks like a Honky Tonk Deuce. I think they came in either natural or sunburst.  Basically, a rosewood-bodied SJ with special appointments and details.

There are several board members here that own them.

You are correct, Nick. He borrowed that guitar for the Hippie Jack Show because he didn’t want to fly with his own guitars for the show. It is owned by Elizabeth Cook, a very good Singer/Songwriter. 

3 hours ago, uncle fester said:

Ray Wiley Hubbard, didn't know him from Adam before this post, but I'm sure going to do a whole lot of listening now.  Loved this stuff - thank you for posting.

He is unique. Which is an accomplishment in his genre.  Listen to  "Snake Farm"  to get started. 12minutes in.  Loosely based on a small tourist spot by that name on IH-10 between Austin and San Antonio.   Or, more popular and mainstream  "Wanna Rock & Roll" .  At 1:16.   A little dark - covered well by Cross Canadian Ragweed.   

Great Post - thank you Paul !

Edited by fortyearspickn

One of Ray’s Guitars is described by him as a Frankenstein. I have one of my own. 😉

His words describing this guitar:

“someone asked about my guitar so here you go. i found this 1949 gibson j45 neck at junkyard guitars in illinois for a 100 bucks and put in on a 1959 southern jumbo body that  someone had put a 72 neck on that was just not worth a damn.  too narrow. now if you gonna build a frankenstein monster everybody knows you need lightning. well you also need tony nobles in wimberley to fuse the body and neck together. 
when i'm over at his place and he is working on guitars i expect to hear some evil scientist laugh but he never does.”

I had the pleasure of holding in my hands Tom Wilsons  j45 ...Tom Wilson of Junkhouse  and Blackie and the Rodeo Kings .,i flip the guitar over and the body has a centre seam ,and the perfling round the sound hole not looking like that of a 57  j 45   ,,,this is the year he was told was it`s birth year .  The guitar was given to Tom by the late Willie P Bennett`s family .

I introduced my self ,by saying  ,Tom your  a big s.o.b ..and that i was feeling slightly intimidated ....he laughed ,saying he`s  a gentle   giant from the streets of Hamilton ....Anyhow ,we talked about his guitar`s story , i said ,looks to me like it`s a 57  S.J body ,judging by the f.o.n.  and it`s appointments  with a grafted j45 neck .. he had no clue ....the thing was sweet , well worn ,had the crap played into it  ,sounded great and has written some great songs .

Totally my pleasure ...Frank on Frankenstein .

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 75 Hummingbird said:

I had the pleasure of holding in my hands Tom Wilsons  j45 ...Tom Wilson of Junkhouse  and Blackie and the Rodeo Kings .,i flip the guitar over and the body has a centre seam ,and the perfling round the sound hole not looking like that of a 57  j 45   ,,,this is the year he was told was it`s birth year .  The guitar was given to Tom by the late Willie P Bennett`s family .

I introduced my self ,by saying  ,Tom your  a big s.o.b ..and that i was feeling slightly intimidated ....he laughed ,saying he`s  a gentle   giant from the streets of Hamilton ....Anyhow ,we talked about his guitar`s story , i said ,looks to me like it`s a 57  S.J body ,judging by the f.o.n.  and it`s appointments  with a grafted j45 neck .. he had no clue ....the thing was sweet , well worn ,had the crap played into it  ,sounded great and has written some great songs .

Totally my pleasure ...Frank on Frankenstein .

Cool story! Don’t want to hijack the thread so I’m just going to post the link to my earlier thread about the Building of My Frankenstein, in case anyone is interested. https://forum.gibson.com/topic/143283-just-did-something-financially-irresponsible/

And here is Aaron’s (luthier) about the process:

http://www.strangeguitarworks.com/gibson-neck-reset-with-a-twist/

23 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

He is unique. Which is an accomplishment in his genre.  Listen to  "Snake Farm"  to get started. 12minutes in.  Loosely based on a small tourist spot by that name on IH-10 between Austin and San Antonio.   Or, more popular and mainstream  "Wanna Rock & Roll" .  At 1:16.   A little dark - covered well by Cross Canadian Ragweed.   

Great Post - thank you Paul !

The first 3 songs I'm in love with, not sure if the titles are write but they're 'I believe - gonna count my blessings', 'get out of this rut and get into the groove' and 'snake farm'.  That wicked cool minor bluesey feel he gets right about 9:10 in get out if this rut is freakin awesome, no complicated, just awesome.

I'm sure I'll give all 3 of these a go, my 11 yr old says I should try snake farm first.

Edited by uncle fester

Another one of those guys who is rarely mentioned outside of folks like us.  Saw him in Kansas City last fall at Knucklehead’s. I thinkk he’s scheduled again for late May, unless all this bull crap caused it to be changed to a later date.   If you’re like us, he’s a legend or will soon become one.  If you’re not like us, I feel sorry for you, because you’re missing-out on a lot.  When we saw him, he was full of Johnny and Willie stories and a couple Guy Clark jokes, along with his own very rough-cut songs about life.  He was never pretty and never tried to be.  He is who he is.  He’s too real for mainstream radio.

Edited by MissouriPicker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MissouriPicker said:

Another one of those guys who is rarely mentioned outside of folks like us.  Saw him in Kansas City last fall at Knucklehead’s. I thinkk he’s scheduled again for late May, unless all this bull crap caused it to be changed to a later date.   If you’re like us, he’s a legend or will soon become one.  If you’re not like us, I feel sorry for you, because you’re missing-out on a lot.  When we saw him, he was full of Johnny and Willie stories and a couple Guy Clark jokes, along with his own very rough-cut songs about life.  He was never pretty and never tried to be.  He is who he is.  He’s too real for mainstream radio.

Yup. I have been lucky enough to see him three times. A great performer! 

Several years ago, in Austin, Ray was playing a show in a venue that held about 75-100 people.  A couple came in with a little boy in a wheelchair and sat down on the very front row, with the wheelchair in the center aisle....dead in front of Ray.  Ray closed the show with "SCREW YOU, I'M FROM TEXAS"....except, without explanation, he sang "THE HECK WITH YOU, I'M FROM TEXAS."  Everyone of us in the audience knew exactly why he did it.  Old outlaws mellow, too.

• Like 1

There's some wicked awesome stuff posted here from time to time that I'm almost ashamed to say I had not heard before. He's up there. Especially the song Paul14 posted. I caught my attention due to the Devil in the title as does the current song I'm working on. There are some lines in his song that I wish I had written. Every songwriter has that feeling from time to time.

Anyhow, thanks to everyone for posting these links and threads of the lesser known types. Some great gems out there. And thanks to PickItPaul(OP) for this thread.

On 4/27/2020 at 10:02 AM, Jim Wilson said:

Several years ago, in Austin, Ray was playing a show in a venue that held about 75-100 people.  A couple came in with a little boy in a wheelchair and sat down on the very front row, with the wheelchair in the center aisle....dead in front of Ray.  Ray closed the show with "SCREW YOU, I'M FROM TEXAS"....except, without explanation, he sang "THE HECK WITH YOU, I'M FROM TEXAS."  Everyone of us in the audience knew exactly why he did it.  Old outlaws mellow, too.

Also several years ago herm - maybe more now - when people put bumper stickers on their bumpers to cover up the rust - There was a popular one here - a quote from Davy Crockett:  "The reset of you can go to he1!  as for me - I'm going to Texas."     We all know how that turned out.     Also reminiscent of a t-shirt I have  - An image of Willie Nelson and his quote:   "I miss the good old days when everyone wasn't such puxxies."   My wife won't let me wear it when we go out together.  

• Like 1