Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Vintage (2016-2019) vs J45 1942 Banner Historic Reissue

mattthewmttn

The 2020 "1942 Banner J-45" also has torrefied top.  I've wondered about the difference too, additional things I've seen from descriptions are that 2020 1942 Banner has V-Neck and the 2016 Vintage has C neck.  Also The 2020 1942 Banner has "legend wire" (bigger?) frets.

But like the OP I've wondered if there are voicing differences?

Recently bought a new 2019 Vintage and I'm not blown away by it.  It sounds open and crisp and loud, but not like the J-45 sound I have in my head.  It's a bit too crisp, too much treble and not enough bass.  Notes are distinct though, great note separation.  A friend who knows guitars really well once told me that bass is cheap and trebles are what define a well-built guitar.  But if I have to talk myself into loving it maybe it's not for me...  The Standard I played every time I was in GC (pre-virus) knocked my socks off.

Edited by pg60

28 minutes ago, pg60 said:

The 2020 "1942 Banner J-45" also has torrefied top.  I've wondered about the difference too, additional things I've seen from descriptions are that 2020 1942 Banner has V-Neck and the 2016 Vintage has C neck.  Also The 2020 1942 Banner has "legend wire" (bigger?) frets.

Recently bought a new 2019 Vintage and I'm not blown away by it.  It sounds open and crisp and loud, but not like the J-45 sound I have in my head.  It's a bit too crisp, too much treble and not enough bass.  Notes are distinct though, great note separation.  A friend who knows guitars really well once told me that bass is cheap and trebles are what define a well-built guitar.  But if I have to talk myself into loving it maybe it's not for me...  The Standard I played every time I was in GC (pre-virus) knocked my socks off.

What are you using for strings?

I've tried the Gibson 80/20 (12s?)  that came with it, D'Addario Nickel Bronze 12s, and Santa Cruz Parabolic Mid-tension 13s.

Of these I like the Santa Cruz best.  I fingerpick mostly.  It sounds *great* with a flatpick but seems to be missing something for me with thumbpick, bare fingers.  Maybe its an Adirondack vs Sitka thing...

1 hour ago, mattthewmttn said:

I just got one of the vintage built in 2017. By far, bar none best guitar I’ve EVER played.

Happy  to hear you love yours!  Did you buy it used?  I'm wondering if mine just needs some play time to open up?

A 2019 guitar is likely to be tight sounding, some more than others, but it is true that time played sweetens the wood.  I play a 2016 J-45 Vintage that has darkened tonally from when it was new, but every guitar is an individual.  If you otherwise like the guitar I'd certainly give it time to settle into itself.  I would say that finger style doesn't drive the top like attacking it with a pick so if there is some change in timbre it may be slow to appear.  Don't know how a Vintage differs from a '42 Banner, if at all other than name.  

10 hours ago, mattthewmttn said:

I bought it new but it had be in a store getting some play I’m sure. 

Happy NGD!

Thanks to you & Buc for the info.  I do think mine just needs time (November 2019 build) to break in & I'm sticking with it.  The trebles are magical & the clarity/note separation is great for fingerstyle.

pg60 - that is how I would describe the sound of my 2016 Vintage to this day.   It hasn't darkened as I played it in, and the lack of bass is a little disappointing at times.  I finger pick only any more and have come to realize the lighter the touch the better the tone on this guitar.  It is a different sound than the standard J-45 for sure.    ' Fore I forget the neck is that hefty C shape.       *So, to op, the top wood adi and neck shape are  areas to check for difference.

25 minutes ago, Hall said:

pg60 - that is how I would describe the sound of my 2016 Vintage to this day.   It hasn't darkened as I played it in, and the lack of bass is a little disappointing at times.  I finger pick only any more and have come to realize the lighter the touch the better the tone on this guitar.  It is a different sound than the standard J-45 for sure.    ' Fore I forget the neck is that hefty C shape.       *So, to op, the top wood adi and neck shape are  areas to check for difference.

I actually had a 2009 standard that was a very very good standard in its own right. 3 days with the vintage and she was sold. It just sounded dead in comparison. My particular 2017 has plenty of base, probably as much as the standard did but with an amazing clarity and sparkle 

2 hours ago, mattthewmttn said:

I actually had a 2009 standard that was a very very good standard in its own right. 3 days with the vintage and she was sold. It just sounded dead in comparison. My particular 2017 has plenty of base, probably as much as the standard did but with an amazing clarity and sparkle 

Yea, don't get me wrong.  I like my Vintage enough to call it my go to now days.  The adi top probably makes the crisp tight sound I hear as the prominent feature.

3 hours ago, Hall said:

I finger pick only any more and have come to realize the lighter the touch the better the tone on this guitar. 

Interesting!  I had been going opposite way. trying to go with heavier touch with adi top & even switching to 13s.

What strings did you wind up liking best?  I'm going to try PB 12s next to darken it up a bit (and create lighter touch than the 13s).

20 hours ago, pg60 said:

Interesting!  I had been going opposite way. trying to go with heavier touch with adi top & even switching to 13s.

What strings did you wind up liking best?  I'm going to try PB 12s next to darken it up a bit (and create lighter touch than the 13s).

I use John Pearse pb lights.        edit:  try the light touch, it really does seem to bring out the best of my Vintage's tone.

Edited by Hall

On 4/23/2020 at 11:13 AM, Hall said:

try the light touch, it really does seem to bring out the best of my Vintage's tone.

Thanks!  This may be the most useful advice I've ever gotten on a guitar forum.  Lighter touch + PB lights + some play time combo is getting me some fantastic tone.  I'd been pysched out a bit by the Adi top, playing it hard, but whether it's the baking or the bracing, this Adi top doesn't need to be driven hard.

Maybe not the mid-rangy slightly-compressed tone I expected perhaps, but *nice* .

I'm going to order some of the JP PB lights that you and others recommended.  Using some D'Addario EJ-16 for now.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful tips.  (And sorry for hijacking your thread Matthewmtn.)

On 4/21/2020 at 9:19 PM, pg60 said:

Have you bought your guitar without trying first? The problem with Gibson is the inconsistency. I have an OJ and an AJ, both are ltd editions from 2013. The OJ is typical Gibson, Hog B&S, short scale, big neck. It's a great sounding Gibson, great for strumming, flatpicking (even with the wider spacing) and fingerpicking with bare fingers. I brought it to a friend to a jam, he played it and was blown away by it. He is a Martin guy. He  wanted one right away, so he thought ltd. edition of 100 and the high price they should be all pretty close. Ordered the guitar via phone, it arrived and sounded far away from mine.  That's Gibson, if you find one you like, you have to buy that guitar. 

The Adi tops take a while to wake up.  If you store the guitar for a longer time, my experience is, it takes about 15-20 min playing to wake up. I found the same is true with my Martin Authentic. Never had that with my Sitka topped ones.