Gibson Brands Forums

Rikki Redux

Buc McMaster

I really, really like this tune and am not ready to give up on it just yet.  Choke the Hummingbird off at the 6th and let 'er rip!  Very happy that the intonation holds up very well with the capo so far up the neck, but still not completely convinced this passes the smell test.

(I make note again of the G7 Heritage capo.  I tried an Elliot and a Kat Eyz at this high position and the Heritage most definitely delivers a better tone from the guitar.)

Texas Blue; Gibson 80/20 half step down, G7 capo 6th; Blue Chip pick; iPad to Garageband.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, j45nick said:

It's amazing how well that 'bird holds up capo'd  that far up the neck.

Ain't it though?  Didn't need to tweak it at all.......just spot on at the 6th.  

Thanks for listening, guys.  I just tried this capo thing this morning and I suspect the vocal will improve with reps.  So yeah, I think this will make it to the "back-of-the-headstock-setlist".  Now all I need is for Galveston to open the beaches.

Really great.  Will be a big hit.  You are going to become a Staple on the Sea Wall !   Curious - are you taking the H'Bird out there in the sun and salt air?  I know you said you'd park under a shady tree, but what about the humidity?  I'd be hesitant to bring mine out there.  Don't remember that many trees 20 years ago.  Hopefully they planted some ! 

1 hour ago, PatriotsBiker said:

.....that bottom cutout looked like Texas to me.

Indeed!  A fellow forum member made that for me and it's really grown on me.  Quite unique, yes?

44 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

......are you taking the H'Bird out there in the sun and salt air?

Again.....indeed!  For the 1-2 hours I plan to work up to (stamina is underrated!) I'm not much concerned for the guitar.  Wood absorbing humidity is a slow process.  The warmth of direct sun is likely to require an initial retuning but not much of an issue.  I am anticipating the UV rays yellowing the nitro, turning this blue guitar to a shade of turquoise.........should be interesting!

• Like 1

Buc, I am glad I finally saw this thread as I had missed it earlier. I subscribed to your YouTube channel a while back, partially in hopes that I would be notified when you uploaded new videos. I'm guessing that maybe your channel does not send out such notifications, or else I don't have something set up correctly on my side of things (highly plausible).

At any rate, I LOVED this one. When I saw this song included amongst your set list songs on the back of your headstock earlier I was immediately curious how your cover would sound. Rarely do things exceed my expectations when my expectations are high, but you've managed to do so. Thank you so much for sharing this one. I brought a grin to my face that made it appear as if I'd gotten away with highway robbery. I suppose that wasn't too far off of the mark. I feel pretty darn lucky to have viewed this one. Well played my friend!