Gibson Brands Forums

ZZ Top, That little ole band from Texas

jaxson50

Has anyone else watched the Netflix rockumentory?  

What a great couple of hours, if your in need of something to cheer you up waiting for the happy reaper to drop by, give it a watch.  Really brings back memories,  one funny story, they are booked to play one of the first gigs. They go to a club get all set up, the currents go up, there's one man in the audience,  and he gets up to leave. They beg him to stay, they do their entire show, buy him drinks thanks him for hanging out,  then they do a encore! 

The same guy comes to most of their show still, and they never asked him his name..

Only in rock n roll 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

Has anyone else watched the Netflix rockumentory?  

What a great couple of hours, if your in need of something to cheer you up waiting for the happy reaper to drop by, give it a watch.  Really brings back memories,  one funny story, they are booked to play one of the first gigs. They go to a club get all set up, the currents go up, there's one man in the audience,  and he gets up to leave. They beg him to stay, they do their entire show, buy him drinks thanks him for hanging out,  then they do a encore! 

The same guy comes to most of their show still, and they never asked him his name..

Only in rock n roll 

Yes, the cartoons were silly, other than that it was good. Oh the 80's were silly too.

I watched it about a month ago.  It was interesting to watch.  I saw them live three times: circa 1976 (my first concert), circa 1983 on the Eliminator Tour and  2012.  All great shows.

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

I watched this a while back and it seemed to be very insightful on ZZ's evolution through showing Texas culture, including bringing livestock to concerts.

You can take the boy out of Texas...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I enjoyed watching it as well.  Some have knocked them for the 80's transition but in retrospect, they understood the opportunity to capitalize when MTV was still in its infancy--they extended their audience mainstream and added 10+ years to SRO crowds.  No matter what, they are a grounded cool blues/rock trio with a sense of humor!

4 hours ago, nifnof70 said:

I enjoyed watching it as well.  Some have knocked them for the 80's transition but in retrospect, they understood the opportunity to capitalize when MTV was still in its infancy--they extended their audience mainstream and added 10+ years to SRO crowds.  No matter what, they are a grounded cool blues/rock trio with a sense of humor!

The same people mocked Dylan when he plugged in his strat.  

45 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

There was as 18 gap between Bob plugging in and the rotten Eliminator album, I doubt it was the same people.

I was thinking the same thing.

Perhaps he  means the same "kind" of people. Which I would also disagree with. Not analogous.

6 hours ago, brad1 said:

Perhaps he  means the same "kind" of people. Which I would also disagree with. Not analogous.

Prolly. 

80's ZZ was still trash.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

9 hours ago, brad1 said:

I meant parasitic critics and nefarious talentless jackwads who believe they get to determine what an artist should  do.

6 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

I meant parasitic critics and nefarious talentless jackwads who believe they get to determine what an artist should  do.

Artists can do as they please. If I don't like it I don't listen. Bob going electric was fine. Legs was a far cry from Just Got Paid. So they can take their cool car fuzzy guitar spinning video music ride off into the sunset.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Artists can do as they please. If I don't like it I don't listen. Bob going electric was fine. Legs was a far cry from Just Got Paid. So they can take their cool car fuzzy guitar spinning video music ride off into the sunset.

Oh the horror!     Rock stars with expensive toys, what will they think of next?  I felt the same way when disco emerged,  now that was enough to make rock fans turn to country music

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Country Music is good. Bad Country Music is a guy singing about how sexy his girlfriend thinks his tractor is or his friends in low places or anything by Taylor Swift.

It's oddly amusing seeing Country music going through a commercialized (Hair Band) phase right now....who would've thought?

12 hours ago, nifnof70 said:

It's oddly amusing seeing Country music going through a commercialized (Hair Band) phase right now....who would've thought?

You got that right,  I liked outlaw country,  bluegrass,  grassabilly,  country rock, folk rock, I guess what alt music is now, but the stuff played on country fm radio now just sounds like rewrapped bubblegum pop.

13 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Country Music is good. Bad Country Music is a guy singing about how sexy his girlfriend thinks his tractor is or his friends in low places or anything by Taylor Swift.

Taylor Swift is in love with herself,  and about as genuine as a jackalope 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

I had to look that one up! 😀

Jackalope [ˈdʒakələʊp] NOUN
a mythical animal depicted as a hare or rabbit with horns, said to exist in parts of North America.
"some dismiss jackalopes as the fantasy of cowboys who spent too long on the range"

Edited by OrdinaryNimda

6 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

I watch that documentary on Netflix just to see what she had to say, to see if it would change my mind about her, and now I think she's even a bigger t-wat.

8 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Yeah yuck - a singer/songwriter who has been successful in 5 genres. 

She has 10 Grammy Awards, 29 American Music Awards (most wins by an artist), 23 Billboard Music Awards (most wins by a female artist), seven Guinness World Records, 12 Country Music Association Awards including the prestigious Pinnacle award, eight Academy of Country Music Awards, one Brit Award, and one Emmy Award.

As a songwriter, she has been honored by the Nashville Songwriters Association and the Songwriters Hall of Fame, and was the youngest person included on Rolling Stone's list of the 100 Greatest Songwriters of All Time in 2015.

Net worth estimates at 360 million (as of 2019). 

Ewwwwww what a jackalope. 

If she's such a national treasure your more than welcome to listen to her. Rolling Stone Magazine where I go to learn about what's good in music.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

8 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Well she's 30 years old so she has a few more decades to get it right. 

But she won't. She's not even doing and I'm gonna loosely call "Country" anymore.

She nice to look at but I don't want to hear words coming out of her mouth.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper