Gibson Brands Forums

traditional vs standard

epbadger

The 2016 Les Paul Standard is a higher level model and newer.  So, if it is just between that and all other items are equal (condition, both come with HSC, bone stock, etc.) the Standard is an easy decision.  And I say that as a Trad Pro owner who loves his Trad Pro.  

I owned a '14 Pro II and it was killer, but yes a STD will be just a touch nicer, but not by to much. But didn't the Trad's come along to be closer to what the STD's of the 50's were. No weight relief, I think was the big main difference. But  Gibson doesn't do anything standard and I think some Trad's have relief now too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 4/24/2020 at 8:59 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

... But didn't the Trad's come along to be closer to what the STD's of the 50's were? No weight relief, I think was the big main difference. But  Gibson doesn't do anything standard and I think some Trad's have relief now too.

I think it was the now-defunct Traditional model that was non-weight-relieved which was supposed to be like an old Les Paul.   But the Trad Pro was different than that which was intended to be like a "modified old Les Paul" model and also sold only through Guitar Center.  There were lots of variants of the Trad Pros, but I thought they all shared: antique binding, 60s neck, uncovered zebra pickups, high-gloss top with satin sides/back, PLEK setup,  coil taps, and 9-hole weight relief  (non chambered).  Then the different Trad Pro model (depending on which variant) came with different top-shelf Gibson pickups, flame or plain maple top, passive or battery-boost, regular Grovers or locking Grovers, MoP logo or sticker, and (on some) the ability to select the specific coil when in coil-tap mode.  With the brand-new Trad Pro V out this year, this current edition comes in two flavors: satin plain top or flame top (and separated by  a shocking $700 in price) , and both with new "Tradbucker" pickups which reek of a cost-cutting cheaper pickup instead of the previous major model pickups previously offered.

I have a 2010 Trad Pro so that is why I know more  details about  this model than I do other Les Paul models.  But that is how I see it anyway ... 

On 4/24/2020 at 3:59 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

But didn't the Trad's come along to be closer to what the STD's of the 50's were. No weight relief, I think was the big main difference. But  Gibson doesn't do anything standard and I think some Trad's have relief now too.

The 2019 Les Paul Traditional had no weight relief, vintage tuners, Burstbucker 1 & 2 pickups ,orange drop capacitors and a 50s neck. Sound familar? They're the exact spec of a 2019/20 Original Series 50's Les Paul Standard. The only difference is that the 50s Standard has thinner neck binding. The Traditiomal also cost more when released, £2200 here in the UK. The 50s Standard is £1999. Go figure.