Gibson Brands Forums

Fret Grooves in an 07 SWD already

macaibhistin

I've noticed a bit of buzzing lately from my B string and while changing strings today I see I have worn grooves into my first three fret wires from the B and E strings! Does this seem a little too early to anyone else? I am using light gauge strings. What am I doing wrong?

I've noticed a bit of buzzing lately from my B string and while changing strings today I see I have worn grooves into my first three fret wires from the B and E strings! Does this seem a little too early to anyone else? I am using light gauge strings. What am I doing wrong?

Do you use a capo a lot?

a heavy grip, lots of playing, and lots of playing in the same spot. string guage doesn't really matter. it tells me that you either have a death group, or you've gotten lots of great playing time out of her early! that's a good thing.

They wear down. How fast depends on a lot of things (use mostly). Most luthiers can grind them even once or twice for $60 each time. Then its about $300 to get a fret job. Blues players like to slide the string back and forth -- that does it. Death gripping chords does it. I'd guess type of strings have something to do with it -- but I would not change for that reason alone. My Washburn is on its second leveling. A 1986 guitar. The Tacoma is close to something (12-14 y.o.). Some kind of work. I've had to do fret jobs on previous guitars. It's how they are. Three years??? I'd have to think you are doing a lot of playing.

I have seen folk/C-W players wear out frets faster because the ONLY USE the 1st three frets. Some only have two chords (and cannotplay a 7th anything) ... Well then they are using the same finger position ALL THE TIME and those frets are getting a lot of use. So if ALL you use is C-F-G or C-F-G7 and you play a lot those frets are getting ALL the work. (Rock players too -- one or two chords never change position)

Blues players are next -- they play the same 5 chords in the same key for the same 12 bar blues. They never change keys and the slide or bend chords. Wears them out faster. (but that is HOW they play)

As mentioned above- you probably play the same chords often, have a very strong grip, or just play the instrument a lot. My experience has been that heavier strings wear the frets more slowly, but that's debatable.

Take it to your local luthier. They can probably dress the frets a few times before needing to replace. When it comes time to replace them, you could always have the luthier install stainless steel fretwire which is a b**** to install but is a lot harder, and wears a lot longer. Good luck!

Hi everyone, my J45 has a first three frets worned very quikly , too much quikly ,

now I would prefer to make a partial refret and not an levelling.....

what do you think about ?

I've any doubt for the radius of thast guitar,

it's 12" but componded radius ??

Same for me. Had mine new 14 months ago. I'm not too bothered really. The problem is not getting worse and it's just of natural byproduct of playing. I do use a capo a fair amount and play most chords around the first 3 or 4 frets.

If you drive your car you're going to have to buy some new tyres eventually.

Your gooves are a good sign - it means your playing it - so treat them as your friends.

Groovy!

Fret wear is the bane of my life. My SJ200 has frets like cigarette papers and has had a couple of dressings over the last few years. I just play the hell out of my guitars, and that's what happens.

My Hummingbird is just under a year old, and is already showing wear. My little Guild parlour is probably the guitar I play least, but that is starting to exhibit a few flat spots.

Polyweb Elixirs will definitely soften the blow to the frets, but I just don't get on with them, personally. I play hard, and they tend to break, in my experience.

Thanks for the replies. I think I must be playing the D chord too much (and too hard)! It just seems so early for fret wear - makes me question the quality of the materials used in what is otherwise the best guitar I've ever played. I've tried the Elixirs but they don't do the Rosewood justice. Ah well, looks like I'm in for a fret dressing in a little while. Glad to hear I'm not the only one in this boat.

FWIW I've got some fret wear on both of my acoustics: a Gibson and a Collings. Just like many of you, the wear is on the first few frets, probably for the reasons outlined above (perhaps playing too hard, playing a lot of first-position country blues, and just plain playing a lot in general).

Personally, though I find it a bit surprising (I've only had the Collings about 5 months), I'm not worried about it. Next time I talk to my luthier, I'll ask him about it and see what he has to say/recommends.

Archived