Gibson Brands Forums

Hello from Kentucky

jmurph09

Hello everyone, I'm Joe from Bowling Green, Kentucky.  I'm originally from the Adirondack area in New York state and have lived in KY for the las t 28 yrs.  I currently have 2 Gibson acoustics;  2007 Custom Shop 1960's Dove Special, and a  2013 Custom Shop Keb Mo Bluesmaster.  There's nothing quite like a Gibson acoustic.

I was wondering if someone could tell me more about the Dove...  I have searched the web high and low and can't find anything anywhere (pics or info).  It has the tune-o-matic bridge.  Serial # 01387004.  Label says: "1960's Dove".  On the second line of the label it says "Special".  The model# is handwritten on the brochure (SSDovenH1).  It's a beautiful Cherry burst on an Adirondack top with red maple flame on sides and back.  It projects the high and lows so well and really booms when it's strummin' .  It's been a mystery to me... Thanks in advance....see you on the forum!

2007 Gibson Custom Shop 1960's Dove Special - Back  01.jpg

2007 Gibson Custom Shop 1960's Dove Special - Front  top 01.jpg

2007 Gibson Custom Shop 1960's Dove Special - Back and side 01.jpg

• Like 1

Great-looking guitar, and welcome aboard. Someone here will eventually fill in the details of that model for you.

The tune-o-matic was "borrowed" from Gibson electrics for the Dove sometime in the 1960's, during the time when Gibson was already using bridges with adjustable-height saddles. The tune-o-matic, with its built-in intonation adjustment, was a logical extension of the concept.

It is certainly an unusual saddle arrangement for an acoustic, and I'm not sure how long the experiment lasted. Someone here will know.

• Like 1

Hi n' welcome, indeed. There tends to be a cycling of certain Gibson acoustics that get the attention on the forum, and lately it seems to be the Dove's turn in the spotlight. . . congrats on yours, it looks to be a beauty. Did the previous owner pass on the info of the Adirondack top? Don't know if you've been watching the forum for awhile, but some time back, JuanCarlosV had posted on the saga of a frighteningly original '65 with the Tune-O-Matic saddle/bridge, thought you'd like to see it, if you haven't already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYk8wTY4gPs

• Like 1

~Hi ~ 

The - as you probably know - 1962 born Dove is one of the great Gibson legends and it really lives up to that status. It flies in an altitude of it's own and there are not that many  around. Especially not in the cherryburst version like yours.

Bozeman once in a while feel like celebrating these classics with a re-issue and sometimes they go all the way, , , that be with the adjustable saddle/bridge or fx the Tune-O-Matic ditto.  Like Nick writes the latter became a part of the original Dove sound - but was also seen on the J-200 up through the decade, probably ending with the big shift between 1968 and 69. 

Can't say more about your particular model, but would like to see the headstock, truss rod cover and tuners. Would also like to hear it - bet it sounds like sunshine on the upper side of a cloud. 

Here you go, Em7...nothing really special to see here.  From what I understand, there is another VCS model 2007 Custom shop 60's Dove which has a white "Dove" truss rod cover, a binding running down the middle of the back body, as well as the two distinguishable darker "stripes" down the neck and through the headstock. That model does not have the tune-o-matic bridge. I saw somewhere that they made 35 guitars in that model, and 35 of this model with the tune-o-matic in 2007.   But I don't know if that is correct. 

Not too sure of the model number either. Because it is hand-written on, one could easily see different "letters" which could make up the model number (could also be read as SSDoucnH1, or SSDovcnH1).   Anyhow, I digress...it does sound like sunshine....until you hit that Em7...

cheers

2007 Gibson small pic size Front headstock view .jpg

2007 Gibson small pic size Back headstock view 01.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jmurph09 said:

Here you go, Em7...nothing really special to see here. 

Well, we see silver tulips. Actually the same Grovers I have on the F-bird. My 1996 Dove had golden kidney-shaped nameless ones from the plant, but I had to go golden waffle-back.

That move really brought the guitar home. jExcAD6.jpg
Re-cheers

4 hours ago, jmurph09 said:

Here you go, Em7...nothing really special to see here.  From what I understand, there is another VCS model 2007 Custom shop 60's Dove which has a white "Dove" truss rod cover, a binding running down the middle of the back body, as well as the two distinguishable darker "stripes" down the neck and through the headstock. That model does not have the tune-o-matic bridge. I saw somewhere that they made 35 guitars in that model, and 35 of this model with the tune-o-matic in 2007.   But I don't know if that is correct. 

Not too sure of the model number either. Because it is hand-written on, one could easily see different "letters" which could make up the model number (could also be read as SSDoucnH1, or SSDovcnH1).   Anyhow, I digress...it does sound like sunshine....until you hit that Em7...

cheers

2007 Gibson small pic size Front headstock view .jpg

2007 Gibson small pic size Back headstock view 01.jpg

So, is that a solid neck?