Gibson Brands Forums

Whats a good boost

Evilive1999

So i picked up an origin 20 today. This amp is F'kin loud.  That's the easy part. However I am searching for something to give me a nice sweet push into the grit. 

An overdrive? Not much exposure with pedals as I've always played clean, but I am open to suggestions. Thanks everyone.1798815005_I1RkqFawRVGTuqZdd9Yrw_thumb_585.thumb.jpg.6cd08ba27831b5588e091e11ec7a64ce.jpg

Edited by Evilive1999

3 ways to boost I have tried:

1.  Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 with the drive turned all the way down and volume dimed (colors the sound). 

2.  Boss GE-7 equalizer pedal with the volume turned up a little (pretty transparent).  

3.  Klon Centaur clone (a $40 kit).  This is the best of both worlds for me.  It does color the tone but it also mixes in some pure signal.  It's magical as far as I'm concerned. 

1 hour ago, btoth76 said:

EP Booster.

Bence.

I have an Xotic AC+.  Use the left side as a clean boost.

They do a lot of boost pedals.  The EP is the best selling one I think.

Also have a Boss GE7 eq, upgraded parts to reduce background hiss.  Perfect for clean boost.

More than one other guitarist has recommended I check out a TC Spark.  2 versions available, very good rep.

However the Source Audio programmable digital eq is fast becoming a guitarists 'must-have'.  Haven't tried one yet but they look good on youtube.

Good luck!

Edited by jdgm

3 minutes ago, Evilive1999 said:

At the last minute I saw a BOSS OS-2.  Second hand, but practically brand spankin new. I think it will work for my needs. I had  a DS-1 back in the day, and it was reliable and sturdy. BOSS makes some good stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes and that's analogue.  A fine pedal.  Boost and more.

p.s. I still have a DS-1.....[thumbup]

I still have my Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET... It has several switchable nice subtle drive options. I don't use it anymore cos for the band stuff I use a little gain on amp through its lesser gain channel, but the Fulldrive is nice once you get used to its quirks.

Just now, jdgm said:

Yes and that's analogue.  A fine pedal.  Boost and more.

p.s. I still have a DS-1.....[thumbup]

I still have one of those too, but it always seemed to make everything quieter...the 'anti-boost!'...I'm sure that was my fault somehow though [laugh]

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

I occasionally use my Sound Tank Tube Screamer TS5 running into a Boss DS-1, both set to the same level as clean so each individually can add a little crunch without increasing the gain. But when both are on its like dream land..

I often do the same: TS-10 into a Metal Charger.

Bence.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

I still have one of those too, but it always seemed to make everything quieter...the 'anti-boost!'...I'm sure that was my fault somehow though [laugh]

So I'm confused... the DS-1 quieted your sound? Or the OS-2. 

My way of dialing it it, is play the amp clean until it naturally begins to show some grit. Engage pedal (in my case OS-2) then switch until they are the same loudness whether pedal is off or on, then kinda tweak the dials until i find my personal golden place. I don't need much, but I like having some punch without running the risk of getting evicted from my apartment.

also, this Origin 20 has 3 modes on it. Its surprisingly loud. I feel that I finally earned a good tube amp. I have been playing a tiny Roland Cube for several years! I did a lot of weddings with it etc. I even played a huge hotel ballroom with it. (just ran a cable from the line out into the house DI). But I came across a very lightly used Marshall and for all the great things about it... they really don't tell you that you're gonna need something extra to get those sounds that Marshall is known for.

1 hour ago, btoth76 said:

I often do the same: TS-10 into a Metal Charger.

Bence.

Most of the time I just use my TECH 21 RK5 to simplify my setup as it has a Delay, Overdrive with Reverb, Overdrive and Boost which I have a Vox Wah feeding it. Also a Joyo analog Delay and Chorus  in the effects loop of my Tube amp.

Edited by mihcmac