Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
E-minor7

Strings land - Birds take off

Managed to fly in 2 sets of the new Gibson steel.

Admit I fell for the amber-Bird, which was presented here some weeks ago and as I'm almost sure it either had coated Phosphor B or ditto 80/20 after talking with presenter, Mr Ravita, I went hunting for these strings. Only ones within reach were the ph. b. - and they arrived today. 

mGPYg69.jpg

Here the better and better Birds, May and April - also known as Black-ring and White-ring - await the comin' aventure. 

95JvQvC.jpg

Normally not a coated flier at all, but I intend to keep them on till they begin to fade and then revive this thread for a report. It may be months ahead, , , perhaps mid-summer, so stand by. 

P.S. - a very intriguing thing is that the package-surface feels like a mix between rubber and velour. Sure starts good. . 

• Like 2

Good luck with your string experiment. I have tried coated strings three times, and they did not work for me. To me, they sounded dull, and kind of lifeless. This was a few years back and they weren't Gibson strings. Also technology has most likely made advances since then.

Please,report your findings!

Lars

I bought some of the new Gibson pb coated strings at Christmas time. I put them on my j45 and the guitar never sounded better.  The strings have held up pretty well until now although it’s getting about time to change them.  I am going to put another set of these on. I had been using the uncoated strings that Gibson phazed out, but I actually like these better.  I think they are louder and sound better.  They are not cheap but are definitely worth a try. 

50 minutes ago, Mime said:

I bought some of the new Gibson pb coated strings at Christmas time. I put them on my j45 and the guitar never sounded better.  The strings have held up pretty well until now although it’s getting about time to change them.  I am going to put another set of these on. I had been using the uncoated strings that Gibson phazed out, but I actually like these better.  I think they are louder and sound better.  They are not cheap but are definitely worth a try. 

Thanks - I can't say anything at all right now, , , and by the way prefer old (and un-coated) strings. The idea is to make them fade till they merge with the Birds 1:1 - well, we'll see.

Did you notice that the end-balls shift between gold and silver/bronze and nickel. G-S-G-S-G-S from low to high E. Never seen that before.  

Always interested in seeing how these experiments pan out...at the moment I'm in love with Newtone Masterclass round core 12s. Very much an old-school string but just enormous sounding, especially on my Maple AJ. Great wires!

Newtones are fine. Been using them here and there the last decade. Got Master Class Custom Ph. B. 12-16-24-34-44-54 on the HD-28V and they do good. 

The fresh Gibson sets still sounded like a synthesizer programmed as a c o u s t i c  g u i t a r  this afternoon, but I'm sure they will change. I keep faith in these strings.  Would have liked 80/20s though. 

• Like 1

Second update - 

As always the 2 sets were put on within the same hour and tuned up 1-2 just afterwards. Then a strrrange thing happened :

While getting the second high E up to D#, the ball-end unwinded and fell to the bottom of the box with a double-sound = snap-tick. Never experienced this before and blame it on 1 in a 100.000-bad luck. Immediately tied the ball back on with a scout-knot and continued. It holds up fine, , , so far. 

Soon I also contacted seller, who apparently is willing to replace the pack. Well, , , nothing serious, but as said, a rare peculiarity.  Ever seen anything like it ?

43 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Ever seen anything like it ?

On an electric, yes. And it was the high E.

So. . .  will both sets be the same age, going forward into your experiment? 😬

3 hours ago, 62burst said:

On an electric, yes. And it was the high E.

So. . .  will both sets be the same age, going forward into your experiment? 😬

Choice is between replacing it with the new-set-high-E or keeping the tied original.  Guess #2 -  they're are already played a bit in and the knot doesn't make a big difference.

First update 

So now over a month in, the Gibson Coated Phosphor Bronze lights are beginning to calm down. Mind that I don't fly the 2 Birds as often as possible simply because there are other tempting acoustics around. At this stage however the strings have fallen to a level where they don't sound overwhelmingly artificial. Yet there continue to be way to much new-sting-force in them (which some would admire) to say anything final. Their nature keep reducing the fine guitars to carriers of extrovert bronze-power and I don't want my hog squares hidden behind a nickel-tin fountain. 

All that said, I haven't lost faith in these strings. For the aim is something different, far from reached at this point. As mentioned in post 1, the plan is to wear them to a state (almost under) normal. Then sense if vision bares fruit :

A faded set - which suits the Hummingbird so well - with the coating close to gone, still barely present, all adding to the ideal symbiosis between wood and steel.

We'll see, , , and hear, , , s t a n d   b y

Thanks for the update.  Down the road let us know another update...

I use uncoated Martin Authentic Acoustic strings (formerly SP’s).  They seem to last and last without being coated.  But, looking forward to continuing to learn of your experience.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

30 minutes ago, QuestionMark said:

I use uncoated Martin Authentic Acoustic strings (formerly SP’s).  They seem to last and last without being coated.  

O yes, know them - like them too.  Good longevity. .