Gibson Brands Forums

Adding a Treble Bleed...

Daxman

I've talked on here about pots and considered pulling out the PCB stuff in my Classic, but I'd also like to here any feedback on people keeping theirs.  My main question would be has anyone ever put a Treble Bleed in on a PCB and if so, how?   Did it fix the dullness/muddiness and loss of high end?  Just looking for some thoughts here. 

There's a guy on Reverb calling himself Scrinia Engineering, and he makes a variety of replacement PCBs for Les Pauls. I have this one in mine and it's brilliant. It has coil taps, a phase switch, a series-parallel switch - and most importantly, a treble bleed. I wouldn't go back. I now think all guitars should have treble bleeds. They are brilliant, especially if you like to crank your amp and control the overdrive with your volume control, which I do.

It also makes coil taps usable in a live setting. If you play with enough gain to make a humbucker sing, and then tap the coil, the distortion overwhelms it, and if you turn down the volume to clean it up, it muffles it. This bard lets me keep the highs with the volume rolled off, so I can switch between a full fat Gary Moore Les Paul neck pickup solo sound and a tolerable Telecastery sound, live, as I'm playing (the Les Paul's independent volume controls are indispensable for that as well).

I love out of phase Les Paul pickups, so the phase switch is indispensible for me for Peter Green tones. But out of phase and in series, I can sound pretty close to Brian May or Hubert Sumlin - a hotter out-of-phase tone that gives a really nasty honk and screech. And it costs only slightly more than I recently paid a tech to upgrade the pots and caps and fit a phase switch in my Epiphone dot.

He's not paying me to write this, either. I bought it, loved it, and bought another one for another of my guitars. Highly recommended by me. Here it is in action with my band.

Edited by paddybrown

Thanks paddybrown, those are nice. I've also found a company called Obsidian Wire who builds similar PCB's. I was hoping to see if adding a Treble Bleed to the existing Gibson PCB was possible and how it's done. Thanks for your input.