Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J45 Vintage vs Martin HD28

Joe M

I owned both at the same time for about 9 months. Both sounded different to me, but 2 - D-28's made 5 minuets apart are not gonna sound exactly the same. Then the 41 bug hit and I needed cash to afford it.

"And besides, while I seem to be guitar-challenged by the standard of this site, as I only own four".

I have only 4 now too (41, 000-28, 15M and a 12'er).  I always want another one, but need - no.  The 41 pretty much puts most in their place.  As the bearded guy says its a less blinged out 45.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Yes, the 3 Piece Backs on the D-35's was a way to not waste Precious Tone Woods.. And is a great looking Guitar..

My brother has a 60's D28 & I have a 1975 D-35.  Both sound beautiful... My D-35 has a bigger & louder Sound than his D-28.

I think the D-35's Sound is positioned, purposely, between the D-28 & the D-41...

The D-28's sound great. Each higher level Model you go the better they sound to my ears.. The D-45 sounds the best to me... Love the extra Bling!

Edited by Larsongs

30 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Yes, the 3 Piece Backs on the D-35's was a way to not waste Precious Tone Woods.. And is a great looking Guitar..

My brother has a 60's D28 & I have a 1975 D-35.  Both sound beautiful... My D-35 has a bigger & louder Sound than his D-28.

I think the D-35's Sound is positioned, purposely, between the D-28 & the D-41...

The D-28's sound great. Each higher level Model you go the better they sound to my ears.. The D-45 sounds the best to me... Love the extra Bling!

I think the 35 sounds different due to the bracing is skinnier, so the top is gonna vibrate differently. Same with the 41 its bracing scalloped and gonna also sound different. Does the 3 piece back have any affect on the 35's tone. I'm not sure.

And if your brother has a 60's Martin D-28 is probably BRW and not EIRW.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think the 35 sounds different due to the bracing is skinnier, so the top is gonna vibrate differently. Same with the 41 its bracing scalloped and gonna also sound different. Does the 3 piece back have any affect on the 35's tone. I'm not sure.

And if your brother has a 60's Martin D-28 is probably BRW and not EIRW.

Yes, my Brothers is BRW..  Mine is EIRW..

I'm not sure if the 3 piece back on my D-35 has much to do with the Sound.. 

My D-35 was originally owned by my Friend & Collaborator the late Rockabilly Hall of Fame inductee, Jody Reynolds.. Best known for his '50's Hit Record "Endless Sleep".  

He used to take this Guitar to the Elvis Jam Sessions at Elvis & Priscilla's Honeymoon House in Palm Springs... Jody had been friends with Elvis since before either of them became famous & both were touring around the same time... Jody supplied Elvis anything from the Store he wanted.. Elvis was his best Customer!

I was a young guy working in Jody's Music Store in Palm Springs & my wife bought me this Guitars as a surprise Birthday Gift... Since it had never been sold Retail before it was bought as new.. It's documented  with Martin.. It's a very special Guitar  to me.....

Edited by Larsongs

2 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Yes, my Brothers is BRW..  Mine is EIRW..

I'm not sure if the 3 piece back on my D-35 has much to do with the Sound.. 

My D-35 was originally owned by my Friend & Collaborator the late Rockabilly Hall of Fame inductee, Jody Reynolds.. Best known for his '50's Hit Record "Endless Sleep".  

He used to take this Guitar to the Elvis Jam Sessions at Elvis & Priscilla's Honeymoon House in Palm Springs... Jody had been friends with Elvis since before either of them became famous & both were touring around the same time... Jody supplied Elvis anything from the Store he wanted.. Elvis was his best Customer!

I was a young guy working in Jody's Music Store in Palm Springs & my wife bought me this Guitars as a surprise Birthday Gift... Since it had never been sold Retail before it was bought as new.. It's documented  with Martin.. It's a very special Guitar  to me.....

Nice.