Gibson Brands Forums

Motivation to practice or play

saturn

Even if what I'm learning is difficult, when I find I can do something that frustrated me a while ago, I get a feeling of accomplishment.

I'm on my 8th instrument now, sax, flute, wind synth, vocals, drums, bass, keyboard synth, and lead guitar. I found vocals to be the most difficult instrument and I need frequent practice on this to keep the muscle tone for control, and since lead guitar is new (I've played barre and other moveable chords for decades) I get the most satisfaction for jumping over new hurdles.

I've always been addicted to music. When I was a child, learning saxophone in the school band, I drove my mother crazy and she had me practice outdoors or next door (we used to watch the neighbor's house when they were "up north" for 9 months of the year. But for every year I was eligible, I won first place in the all-state band. And I did that on Tenor sax, usually the Alto gets it by default.

Practice makes perfect, so if you practice enough, you make perfect mistakes 😄

It's my bliss, which is why I chose music to be my profession.

Insights and incites by Notes

Like many my motivation was usually the next gig.  But there haven't been any of those for awhile.  I find if I have a new guitar that always motivates me to play.  When I practice I tend to imagine an audience and play songs straight through from beginning to end as if performing.   I have found that leads to better performance than stopping and starting over anytime you make a mistake.  

3 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Like many my motivation was usually the next gig.  But there haven't been any of those for awhile.  I find if I have a new guitar that always motivates me to play.  When I practice I tend to imagine an audience and play songs straight through from beginning to end as if performing.   I have found that leads to better performance than stopping and starting over anytime you make a mistake.  

Yeah, I do that too.. Great preparation technique.. Sometimes in front of a mirror so I can see how I appear to the audience when I'm on Stage.. 

Leilani and I set up our gigging gear and go through songs from start to finish. We don't consider that practice, it's rehearsal.

For us, practice is learning something new and repeating it until it is under our fingers, and rehearsal is playing together as an ensemble to put the parts we learned together to make music.

• Like 1

Breaking in a new tube amp, my SR-15, at close range has been very enticing. It seems to just keep sounding better as the tubes burn in. The Gain, Volume, Tone, Bass, Middle and Treble controls provide a wide tonal range of sound tweaking. I find that I like to use the full power setting for all volume levels and the 5w setting as kind of a standby. The spring reverb sounds pretty decent and finding I shut off my external digital reverb more often. My P90's in all of my guitars just love this amp.. I am getting lots of good home entertainment sitting with one hand on the amp and one on the guitar, easily finding the lows and highs I'm looking for. So my playing at home time is increasing. 👍

On 5/2/2020 at 9:53 AM, Notes_Norton said:

Leilani and I set up our gigging gear and go through songs from start to finish. We don't consider that practice, it's rehearsal.

For us, practice is learning something new and repeating it until it is under our fingers, and rehearsal is playing together as an ensemble to put the parts we learned together to make music.

That makes a lot of sense. 

On 4/29/2020 at 8:58 PM, brad1 said:

What motivates me is songwriting. I like to write songs, play the instruments, record them, mix, master, rinse, repeat!

So I have a question for you Brad1... i saw where this guy had a small piece of equipment.. he played a little riff pressed a button then it began to repeat.. played a lil solo piece.. looped it as well then pressed another button and selected a drum beat... without getting a computer program and doing 5 yrs in harvard to learn to operate it... what looper do u recommend.. i already have the Boss RC 30 phrase foot pedal looper that you can add 2 loops... but what is that one where or what do u recommend that has where you can put a preprogrammed beat add your own bass line the press another button lay down your guitar then solo... am i rambling or do u get what im asking?

Edited by Kramer4lyfe

On 5/6/2020 at 5:56 PM, Kramer4lyfe said:

So I have a question for you Brad1... i saw where this guy had a small piece of equipment.. he played a little riff pressed a button then it began to repeat.. played a lil solo piece.. looped it as well then pressed another button and selected a drum beat... without getting a computer program and doing 5 yrs in harvard to learn to operate it... what looper do u recommend.. i already have the Boss RC 30 phrase foot pedal looper that you can add 2 loops... but what is that one where or what do u recommend that has where you can put a preprogrammed beat add your own bass line the press another button lay down your guitar then solo... am i rambling or do u get what im asking?

I'm not Brad but, I use a basic Trio, there is also the Trio + with more functions.

c1adf7ad7d096d1b5b9e83ffbc221466_x700.pn

The Trio is easy to use, just play a few bars, it will translate into percussion and bass.

Edited by mihcmac