Gibson Brands Forums

Hard case for my Gibson Lg-1

Dpc

Hi all.  I just acquired a beautiful 1958 Gibson LG-1 acoustic.   But i don’t like the soft shell case, no protection.   Can any of you recommend a case that works?   I have a 1948 LG-1 also, that came with an old Martin case, but not sure what it is maybe a 350 case?   Thanks. 

2C4C42D0-FF14-474F-B690-77D2DA0BFE38.jpeg

fortyearspickn nailed it - a standard classical guitar case fits perfectly because the LG body shape was originally the late 1930s GS body shape.  And while there is debate about what LG means, GS meant "gut string" and the GS guitars were classical guitars.  My best friend from high school still houses his '52 LG-1 in the classical guitar case I gave him in the early 80s, and my long-lost '60 LG-2 was last seen in a budget hardshell classical case as well.

1 hour ago, rustystrings said:

fortyearspickn nailed it - a standard classical guitar case fits perfectly because the LG body shape was originally the late 1930s GS body shape.  And while there is debate about what LG means, GS meant "gut string" and the GS guitars were classical guitars.  My best friend from high school still houses his '52 LG-1 in the classical guitar case I gave him in the early 80s, and my long-lost '60 LG-2 was last seen in a budget hardshell classical case as well.

The first time I ever saw that meaning assigned to the LG  was in John Thomas'  "Kalamazoo Gals" book published in 2012.  It actually makes a lot of sense if you see the "L" as being simply part  of the standard Gibson model nomenclature. 

Edited by zombywoof

3 hours ago, jedzep said:

I have this case for my Henderson Century of Progress.  It is a really good case and I can also confirm it fits LGs.

I owned a '46 LG2 for many years.  OHSC for these are hard as it gets to find all the way into the 1960s.  if you factor in how much they added to the cost of an LG2 if you bought the plus lined version you could darn near have walked out of the store with a J45 in a chipboard  case,  So it seems most passed on the hard-shells.  Ironically, I used to keep my LG2 in a Martin case I picked up used somewhere.    Pretty much just a good quality TKL case.  What case you buy, of course, depends on how much protection you want.  If the guitar  does not do a lot of traveling you do not need to go overboard,  Something like a  classical size TLK or Guardian, or Silver Creek, case,  would work fine,   If you are going to find a weak link in the more budget friendly new cases it is going to be the hardware.     This is one area where the old Lifton, Victoria Luggage, Ess & Ess,  Harptone, and such cases had it all over many modern cases. 

Edited by zombywoof

7 hours ago, zombywoof said:

The first time I ever saw that meaning assigned to the LG  was in John Thomas'  "Kalamazoo Gals" book published in 2012.  It actually makes a lot of sense if you see the "L" as being simply part  of the standard Gibson model nomenclature. 

Thanks!

Yes, and because of the meaning of the GS designation, my best guess, as I stated in Kalamazoo Gals, is that LG mean L series guitar with a G gut string body.

BTW, for those interested and in Europe or the UK (or elsewhere and using a VPN), on April 27, France's arte TV posted this nice, but short documentary about the Gals and me. The Gals' sections begins around minute 30.

On 5/1/2020 at 5:32 PM, jt said:

Thanks!

Yes, and because of the meaning of the GS designation, my best guess, as I stated in Kalamazoo Gals, is that LG mean L series guitar with a G gut string body.

BTW, for those interested and in Europe or the UK (or elsewhere and using a VPN), on April 27, France's arte TV posted this nice, but short documentary about the Gals and me. The Gals' sections begins around minute 30.

For the record, I DO believe your take on the meaning of "LG" is the correct one.  And some day I am going to have to own another LG-2, of one variety or another ...