Gibson Brands Forums

New Beatles Day

Here are some albums that myself and a good many people like. To me they are about the same album and could have been the Happier White Album. Once Revolver ended you knew the next one was gonna be an event. And then a double A sided single Penny /Strawberry. The labels say Parlaphone and there is nothing on the sleeve. Never owned an original, so I can't tell you if there was ever anything on the sleeve. As you can see I am taking the time to polish up Blackird. One thing it is missing is a D-28.

Plt46ql.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

'Revolver'  is the one.   Probably the 2nd LP I ever got after "Hard Day's Night".  Still have it.   I was 12 in 1966. 

There was never anything on the inner sleeves until 'Pepper'.  In UK in those days they were lined with poly or waxed paper, not just a paper inner.  Decca inner sleeves had a design in a different colour for mono (dark red) or stereo (blue) and the LP back outer sleeve would have a hole punched in it with colour guide/explanation below, so you knew which it was. 

Import LPs from the States had exotic thick cardboard jackets/outer sleeves and cheap paper inners which often had other albums on the label advertised on them.  I can't remember the first time I ever saw lyrics or credits on an inner sleeve - there was more likely to be an insert or something.  Sometimes USA pressings were far better and sometimes not.  EMI and especially Decca classical LPs were very high quality vinyl.   Decca was an old-style company,  they never deleted anything!!

You remarked about 200gram vinyl in another thread.  I have a 200g 12" (just weighed it to make sure) of George Benson and NuYorican Soul which is a nice, very heavy-duty platter, 33rpm remix about 14 min over the whole side. Sounds great, has that analog warmth, tremendous presence and you can really turn it up.   Deep groove!

Edited by jdgm

I remember walking to school and picking up a classmate on the way. One morning he showed me his big brothers new Beatles LP. It was Sgt. Peppers. We started playing it and reading the lyrics printed on the back cover. Played both sides and ran to school. We were late but I was hooked.

That opening to 'A Day In The Life' still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

I was born in '66, so I didn't hear the lads till around '74 or so. Pepper and Abbey Road were my first 2 real albums other than Disney records.  All the 180 gram lps I have got have been outstanding. And Giles Martin is doing a killer job on the Remixing.  Not sure why Revolver and RS didn't get the 50th treatment. I know Pepper is considered the Big One, but those two Beatles albums were huge. Maybe there just isn't much he can do or maybe since they were still a touring band there is only a few takes of each before a track needed to be put down.

The original mixes were quite good for their time, mixed to be listened to on mono clock radios or pocket radios to entice you to purchase a 45 for your record player. Imagine having to mix your songs so everything could be heard over a 2" speaker..

Edited by mihcmac

Since I experienced all of the Beatles albums as they were released, they were each possibly the best of their time. But overall my favorite song is this one with the true 5th Beatle.. By contrast for, some reason, Badge is one of my favorite Cream songs...

Edited by mihcmac