Gibson Brands Forums

ES 345, Custom or Standard

GKessler

Hey there,

Is there a Gibson Standard ES 345?

I've come across an ES 345 and a salesman told me that its a Standard, even though it looks exactly like http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-ES345-Reissue-Electric-Blues-Guitar?sku=517223 (the body might be just regular red, and I'm pretty sure, but not positive, there was binding a binding, but the rest is accurate).

Is there a way to tell by serial number?

Thanks.

The Gibson Custom ES345s are made at the Custom Shop in Memphis. They are a current (or recent) line. They have a "Memphis" sticker on the back of the headstock.

Before the Custom ES345, there was just the Gibson ES345 (no "Standard"). I suspect that this may not be a current model.

It may be that the Custom Shop models are a bit better finished than the non-CS models. But I am not aware of any 345s that differ substantially from the original formula aside maybe from the revised electronics which offers two mono outputs instead of one stereo.

The original 345's and the "Historic" reissues have a single output jack on the top just like a 335. The Memphis "production" models have the dual jacks on the rim. To my knowledge there had never been two different models called Standard and Custom, although back in the old days they would put a truss rod cover that said "Custom" on the mono version because they couldn't exactly put the one that said "Stereo" on them now could they.

The Memphis 345 is currently the only one available. The originals were built in Kalamazoo and the Historics were built in Nashville, and either one is a far superior instrument than the current Memphis model.

Find out where the jack (or Jacks) are located. If it has the dual jacks on the rim it is a current regular production model available anywhere. If there is a single jack on the top, you might have found "real" one.

Kinda makes you miss the good ol' days when an ES-345 was just an ES-345, eh? Good luck in your quest; it is such a cool guitar. I *briefly* owned a '68 ES-345, and I really, really dug that Varitone. Below is the '68 ES-345 next to my '67 ES-335. I needed to free up the cash from one of them, and after some real soul searching, the 335 had to stay. But boy do I miss the 345.

335-345.jpg

The originals were built in Kalamazoo and the Historics were built in Nashville' date=' and either one is a far superior instrument than the current Memphis model. [/quote']

Larry, I had a 66 ES345 that I had to let go because of the anorexic neck. I now have a 2002 Memphis ES345. I would be interested to hear a bit more.

RN

Larry' date=' I had a 66 ES345 that I had to let go because of the anorexic neck. I now have a 2002 Memphis ES345. I would be interested to hear a bit more.

RN [/quote']

I have debated, or at least rambled from my soapbox, on many occasions on these forums about the difference in quality and workmanship between ES guitars built in the "real" Custom Shop in Nashville, versus the ones built in the so-called custom shop that is the Memphis plant. Since my understanding is that ALL ES guitars are currently being built in Memphis, the point now seems moot.

If you are interested in my ramblings on the subject either do a "search" on this website, or PM/e-mail me.

Thank you for the pointer Larry.

I had a bit of a look but was not able to find anything specific - but no mind.

My experience is that although my 2002 345 is a fine looking well-finished piece, the dual output makes life easier (although at the expense of some of that 345 cachet) and the 1 11/16" nut and modern neck profile is easier to play, it took a while to get right tonewise (and it still doesn't sound as good as the '66).

The '66 with flats sounded like an L5 - instant Kenny Burrell.

The 2002 sounded colourless with flats so I stuck with rounds.

The bridge pickup needs to be very close to the strings.

I contemplated changing the pickups but, at the recommendation of my tech, settled for swapping in a lightweight tailpiece to replace the zinc(?) one that is used nowadays.

RN

Archived