Gibson Brands Forums

Did I just hit the jackpot with my J45?

Eli87

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

It seems the best deals seem to be the non vintage used/new ones that set around for a couple years.

Back in 2015, I got my 1965 J-50 ADJ at a local Guitar Center. It was originally listed on their site for $3300 and sat around for over 6 months with no takers.  After about 10 months they lowered the price to $2400, I went to the store and spent an hour with it (first thing in the morning, had the place all to myself). Offered $2000 and they didn't even haggle, however the salesman had to ask the manager, who made more than one phone call before he approved it.

Anyway, the main thing is that the OP got a very nice deal! But my guess is that there will be more good deals in the days ahead (before Guitar Center finally bites the dust?) For fun, do a search for J-50's at Guitar Center and you'll find several vintage ones from the 1960's, with one listing a bit under $2000. These prices are all lower than I have seen in the past at GC, and they have been there for at least 2 weeks when I previously posted about this. So, you might get a very good deal on a vintage Gibson now if you try negotiating. OTOH, I would be pretty reluctant to buy a vintage guitar that I never had the chance to try in person. Guitar Center does give you 72 hours for a vintage return, but not sure how that would work with shipping time, etc.

18 minutes ago, Eli87 said:

Hi Larsongs.  I had a dx1e. Honestly sounded decent enough for what it was. It ran its course and was time to move onto the next level. 

And indeed you did... Wonderful Guitar! I wanted one that was Electric but never found the right one for me.. Until I played a Gibson Bozeman Masterbilt J-160E. Solid Spruce Top with Mahogany Back & Sides. Which, for me, is the ultimate J-45 style Guitar...

Congrats & enjoy your new J-45! 

At some future point a good D-28 or D-35 would be the perfect pairing....

5 hours ago, j45nick said:

You did really well. That's a nice guitar.

What strings have you put on it, and how does it sound compared to what you were expecting?

I have not put new strings on it yet (I know sin). 

any suggestions on strings?

27 minutes ago, Eli87 said:

I have not put new strings on it yet (I know sin). 

any suggestions on strings?

You will got a lot of suggestions on those, each different, depending on the tonal qualities and playing characteristics you are after. I happened to use DR Sunbeam PB lights on all my Gibson flat tops right now. I like their mix of warmth over time, sparkle when new, and reasonably long life

You will get a lot of recommendations. Buy a few of those, and change the strings maybe once a month until you find something you really like.

Strings are the best way to change the tonal qualities of most guitars, including the J-45.

2 hours ago, j45nick said:

You will got a lot of suggestions on those, each different, depending on the tonal qualities and playing characteristics you are after. I happened to use DR Sunbeam PB lights on all my Gibson flat tops right now. I like their mix of warmth over time, sparkle when new, and reasonably long life

You will get a lot of recommendations. Buy a few of those, and change the strings maybe once a month until you find something you really like.

Strings are the best way to change the tonal qualities of most guitars, including the J-45.

I truly appreciate the advice!

Congrats!  After more than half a century of playing Gibsons I had forgotten that magic the first one can have.

I did get a chuckle out of the drooling for a burst J45.  At one time that was all there was.  Depending on the year built you had two tone (my personal favorite) and then three tone bursts  followed by the Cherry Burst. If you did not want a burst you went with a J50.   But I actually recall my first up close and personal encounter with a Gibson burst.  I was in a small music shop with $150 I had managed to scrape together  in my pocket.  While looking around I caught a glimpse of a small guitar sitting in the corner.  The burst finish just grabbed me and shook met up.  Never knew what year the guitar had been built  (back then such things were not easy to figure out) only that it was a 1955 to 1959 LG2.    Anyway, how much I ask.  $125 says the store owner. I left one very happy camper..

Edited by zombywoof

18 hours ago, Rah67123 said:

I’ve got an old j-50. It I love the sound of the new guitars and they play so much better imo

It depends on what you define as "old."  It is really  not matter of better or worse but just different.   For some the magic lies in Gibsons built in the 1930s and 1940s.  Others find the heavier built Gibsons of the 1950s possess that magic.   Still others prefer the slim necks of the 1960s.  And many find a Bozeman-made guitar will cause  them to mutter a silent  "Whoa" whenever they open the case..   And more than a few like them all.  Think of how boring it would be if we all liked the same thing.

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 2

Finally got a response from Gibson!

”Hello Eli,

Thanks for contacting Gibson Customer Service. Your serial number (11323009) was used on a 2013 J-45 model which had triburst finish, nickel hardware, sitka spruce top with mahogany back and sides and mahogany neck with rosewood fingerboard. Thanks. “

19 hours ago, Eli87 said:

Finally got a response from Gibson!

”Hello Eli,

Thanks for contacting Gibson Customer Service. Your serial number (11323009) was used on a 2013 J-45 model which had triburst finish, nickel hardware, sitka spruce top with mahogany back and sides and mahogany neck with rosewood fingerboard. Thanks. “

That’s awesome! You got a great custom J45 for an amazing deal.