Gibson Brands Forums

I am a public school teacher.  After two years with the district, I was told my contract was not being renewed for next year. I was pretty cool with that.

It was a very  tough job. And I didn't feel very safe working there.

But I was not looking forward to the dozens of applications and interviews I was going to have to endure.  Not fun at all.

But last Wed. I had a "virtual interview". Me, the Principal of the school and 4 other teachers along with him. Each at home on a computer. Including myself. I thought the interview went OK. But I wasn't too hopeful. This, after all, was my very first interview after only filling out 5 applications. I was told they would let me know their decision by the end of the week.

Well, I got a call yesterday, and the Principal offered me the teaching position! I could not believe it. I accepted. I am still almost in shock. I got a job without putting on a suit and tie, and without even leaving my bedroom. The application was online as well.  I was barefoot during the interview. I had jeans on.

Who knows what would have happened if I had to actually go there?

All I know is.......I am experiencing some positives from this horrible mess.

I know so many people are suffering. I see it on TV, continuously. It has been really starting to get me down. I really needed this positive in my life. I thought I would be spending my whole summer looking for a job. I did not know what it was going to be like. Would school even be taking place in California in the fall? I was so freakin' worried.

And now I am worry free.......for the time.....until.....maybe.....next...week...?

.....any positives for you folks? [smile]

Edited by brad1
  • Like 4

Excellent news man.. Well done.. 

That kind of happened to me the last time I looked for work.. Spent a couple of minutes looking online.. Had the interview (just a coffee and chat) a day later and got the job on the spot... Never happened to me before like that without months of searching.. Good luck with it [thumbup]

Positives for me.. Not really much. Its all just pretty boring.. I did get a new custom build to do but I don't think it was actually anything to do with the virus.. I guess I got the break I was after.. Before the lockdown I was really struggling with the physical side of my job and the fact its mostly outdoors which during winter is really horrible.. I was just sore most of the time. Sore back, neck, legs, arms, hands.. you name it.. So well. I guess I am getting my break... Actually I start work again next week. Will just be one day a week for the moment so at least I get six days to stop feeling sore between working days  😄  We will all be masked and gloved and they will only let seven people in at once and only two in the machine room.. All sounds sensible so we will see how this works going forward.

Hmm, ohh there is one thing.. My car was due its MOT next month. Apparently all MOTs have been extended by six months which is really good for me cos I am not sure it if it will pass or not this time. Not that I want to be driving around in an unroadworthy car but its a bit of a relief with everything else going on...

And yes.. Theres no ignoring the amount of suffering going on out there and I truly feel for anyone effected.. But also I don't think theres anything wrong in looking for the good where we can find it... This isn't going to go away soon and we all have to get used to living a bit differently.. 

• Like 1

Just now, 'Scales said:

The weather is superb! 

Fuel is less expensive than before.

It's easier to get a good parking spot in town.

Ha.. That is true.. Well not so much the weather over here...  But theres some amazing footage online of before and after lockdown in several countries where pollution has dropped.

But yeah.. Apart from having to queue outside the shop. Stuff like that is now actually easier.. Just driving about locally is a pleasure now.

• Like 1

Virtual visits for health care have been around for a while but not really mainstream and really underutilized.  Because of the pandemic we are seeing much more of that.  There are a lot of things like chronic disease management which makes up a huge chunk of doctor visits could be done virtually.  Sick visits should mostly still be in person.  Hopefully it will continue and even grow.  It would be better for everyone I think.  It should be faster, easier, and less expensive.  It would also allow for doctors to see more patients and since we have a shortage of doctors that would certainly help.

• Like 1

If there is any positive to this, it's directly in line with the spirit and letter of Brad's original posting. 

So many companies, corporations, governments, and schools send people hither and yon on airliners, attending meetings, interviews, and conferences. 

The reality is that 70% of all that air travel is completely unnecessary. 

Commercial airliners are smelly, over-crowded, cramped tubes of sheet metal, barely holding on to every disparate part, (and all the rude, socially-jacked up, over-medicated passengers), before eventual failure and a fiery death for every occupant aboard.
Who needs that? 

We really can get more done via teleconferencing, video-teleconferencing, and simple phone calls. 

Okay, I get it. 
There are practical reasons for the airlines. 
You have grand kids in Springfield, and you reside in Berlin. 
You are going to have to fly if you want to see them. 

You will roll the dice, and you will probably come and go safely, in order to see them. 

But all this other business travel?
Most of it is obsolete. 

Let's scale it back just a bit. 
The market will adapt and adjust. 
😶

file-20190314-28496-cuksx7.jpg?ixlib=rb-

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brad1 said:

I am a public school teacher.  After two years with the district, I was told my contract was not being renewed for next year. I was pretty cool with that.

It was a very  tough job. And I didn't feel very safe working there.

But I was not looking forward to the dozens of applications and interviews I was going to have to endure.  Not fun at all.

But last Wed. I had a "virtual interview". Me, the Principal of the school and 4 other teachers along with him. Each at home on a computer. Including myself. I thought the interview went OK. But I wasn't too hopeful. This, after all, was my very first interview after only filling out 5 applications. I was told they would let me know their decision by the end of the week.

Well, I got a call yesterday, and the Principal offered me the teaching position! I could not believe it. I accepted. I am still almost in shock. I got a job without putting on a suit and tie, and without even leaving my bedroom. The application was online as well.  I was barefoot during the interview. I had jeans on.

Who knows what would have happened if I had to actually go there?

All I know is.......I am experiencing some positives from this horrible mess.

I know so many people are suffering. I see it on TV, continuously. It has been really starting to get me down. I really needed this positive in my life. I thought I would be spending my whole summer looking for a job. I did not know what it was going to be like. Would school even be taking place in California in the fall? I was so freakin' worried.

And now I am worry free.......for the time.....until.....maybe.....next...week...?

.....any positives for you folks? [smile]

Good luck with your new job. 👍👍👍

• Like 1

Congratulations on getting the new Job, one less thing to worry about.  😉 

Me, the most exiting thing that I am doing at the moment is seeing how much my new plum trees are growing each day. 😫

• Like 1

With respect to positives - is it's forced my company to evolve into modern work from home practices.  Their current policy was 1 day per week, but now it's 100% at home, and more work is getting done, so they're evaluating policies.  I love working from home, but do appreciate a day or two a week in the office.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jdgm said:

Many congratulations,  good news  I like to hear!!

👍

Thank you!

17 hours ago, Black Dog said:

That's great.  [thumbup]

Thanks!

17 hours ago, Rabs said:

Excellent news man.. Well done.. 

That kind of happened to me the last time I looked for work.. Spent a couple of minutes looking online.. Had the interview (just a coffee and chat) a day later and got the job on the spot... Never happened to me before like that without months of searching.. Good luck with it [thumbup]

Positives for me.. Not really much. Its all just pretty boring.. I did get a new custom build to do but I don't think it was actually anything to do with the virus.. I guess I got the break I was after.. Before the lockdown I was really struggling with the physical side of my job and the fact its mostly outdoors which during winter is really horrible.. I was just sore most of the time. Sore back, neck, legs, arms, hands.. you name it.. So well. I guess I am getting my break... Actually I start work again next week. Will just be one day a week for the moment so at least I get six days to stop feeling sore between working days  😄  We will all be masked and gloved and they will only let seven people in at once and only two in the machine room.. All sounds sensible so we will see how this works going forward.

Hmm, ohh there is one thing.. My car was due its MOT next month. Apparently all MOTs have been extended by six months which is really good for me cos I am not sure it if it will pass or not this time. Not that I want to be driving around in an unroadworthy car but its a bit of a relief with everything else going on...

And yes.. Theres no ignoring the amount of suffering going on out there and I truly feel for anyone effected.. But also I don't think theres anything wrong in looking for the good where we can find it... This isn't going to go away soon and we all have to get used to living a bit differently.. 

Thanks, and hope your soreness get better!

16 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

Congrats on the new job.  Good luck with it.

Thank you very much!

16 hours ago, sparquelito said:

If there is any positive to this, it's directly in line with the spirit and letter of Brad's original posting. 

I guess so. We are finding that a lot of travel we once thought was necessary is not.

15 hours ago, labomba said:

Good luck with your new job. 👍👍👍

Thank you!

6 hours ago, uncle fester said:

Congrats Brad - that's awesome!  

Thanks a lot!

5 hours ago, RoyC said:

Congratulations on getting the new Job, one less thing to worry about.  😉 

Me, the most exiting thing that I am doing at the moment is seeing how much my new plum trees are growing each day. 😫

Thanks. One huge thing not to have to worry about.

Dude, you definitely need some more excitement in your life! lol[biggrin]

• Like 1

Being home I got motivated to get my road bike out, clean it up and actually just went for my 3rd ride.  Only 8 miles each, but between last time I rode them (when a 30 mile ride was a tune up) to now where 8 miles is the end of the earth, I had kids, raised them a bit, got old, fat and crinkly.  so hey...  8 miles!

• Like 1