Gibson Brands Forums

50s LG-2 Vintage Sunburst

thanks... 

im guessing that these have cosmetic differences from the American Eagle, but not structural?

for example creme button tuners, rectangle bridge instead of belly up, and... sunburst of course...

i though they nailed the look on this 2020 model. 

you are right about these LGs becoming part of your DNA. i played my oldest son’s in Philly recently and begged for it back. i told him id get him a new one! ha. no dice.

I can't change the strings now - but it feels like these are the d'addario exp strings... I will try and change them later. The playability is perfect. There are a few extremely minor QC cosmetic issues, but I am weird in that that stuff doesn't bother me at all. It definitely has that "Whiskey and You" tone down. 

Well first, congratulations...

Chunky neck. 1.72” nut and chunky neck? The specs say ‘Historic V’ neck. Sounds great for me.....but why, of why have they put a 1.69” nut on the other “Banner” LG2? I think I would go for this one....if they ever arrive here!

BluesKing777.

THAT is a beautiful recreation of a 1950's Tobacco burst. (of course, we'd love to see it in sunlight, whenever that happens again. and a off-angle shot of "chunky", too 🙂.)

6 hours ago, j45nick said:

Looks like you're multitasking on a very nice oak desk there...

Oh, I thought he had it in the lab, running the DNA, but by the look, and now the sound of it, I don't think that will be necessary.

Congrats, Sal. The two of you sound real nice, and good song selection.

• Like 1

Sounds good, Sal!

(maybe a touch new? - leave it out near the back fence for a few nights!)

Kidding! I have been playing my 59 LG3 since last reading this thread. Capo on 3 like you! (Gives a bit more space for fingerpicking on mine).

Playing mine is a strange experience - it is the semi famous ‘Stinky guitar’ possibly buried with previous owner and dug up by a Gibson forum member..... So as soon as we open the case, there is that underlying smell PLUS old wood smell, old finish, old bone, old case PLUS the sandalwood oil drops still wafting around after many years, now mixing with the smell of expresso coffee bags I put in the case and soundhole. So all that before I even tune up! Today is very rainy, humid, but the gas central heater is going and it was warm but still humid in my music room and the LG3 sounded.....”PERFECT” for fingerpicking in C with capo on 3. (a friend who has a Blues King played it once and handed it back saying: ‘It has no bass!’ I replied that it does have bass - TREBLE bass!😀)

Why am I telling you this, you ask? It is because of all this above that I couldn’t buy a brand new LG2, no matter how nice yours sounds - I will need OLD.....

Enjoy yours Sal - make it old.

BluesKing777.

• Like 1

Hey Sal - Another real Beauty - sounds Great too.   I think you and I got our Eagles around the same time.  You gave yours to your Son and I sold mine.  I couldn't really bond with mine.  I recently picked up a new Gibson L-00 / Walnut - And I am really loving this guitar.   Like yourself I use no pick with this guitar and it just sounds Great.  Hope you are doing well. Ken

• Like 1